Opinions On Stadium Fans Today?

PolishDave

Was either D-bag wearing a yellow reflective jacket? We had a couple Phins fans near us and even I wanted to punch this idiot . . .

Nope. Not the guys I was talking about.

I was the "rude" fan who stood up and cheered in section 229 when Miami went for it on 4th and 17 which caused some uptight fan to have an Erie County Sheriff come talk to me. Thanks for the upgrade to the club seats Russ, but I will stay in the lower bowl where I belong from now on.

Yeah I know what you mean. The first time you sit in the club level seats you are like "woe...these fans never stand up and get rowdy" Club seats are generally for the more subdued fan who wants to just sit and watch the game.

Lower bowl, especially close to the field and near the endzones is for people who want to stand the whole game and scream their heads off. The rest of the seats are for fans somewhere in between those two extremes.

A lot of people around us get grumpy when other fans stand and cheer all the time. Personally I am totally fine with fans who stand and go ape nuts. I figure if you want to just sit the whole game you should sit up a little higher, move to a more mellow part of the stadium or stay home in a comfy recliner. I follow the "guy in front of me" and "third down" rule. If the guy in front of me is standing, I am going to stand too. And if it is 3rd down and the other team has the ball, then standing, hollering and other ape like actions are permitted anywhere in the stands.

I was the "rude" fan who stood up and cheered in section 229 when Miami went for it on 4th and 17 which caused some uptight fan to have an Erie County Sheriff come talk to me. Thanks for the upgrade to the club seats Russ, but I will stay in the lower bowl where I belong from now on.

Probably not a fan, 229 is where the visitors suite is located. So blame it on the Dolphins front office.

I am just happy that the rain stayed away for the tailgate. I have the craziest video of that front rolling right over us in the parking lot. It was very surreal......

That was insane. I was standing up on the top of a big snow pile for it, and had a great view as tents started flying across the lots.

That moment you realize you aren't die hard...and hatch a plan to rationalize...

Ouch. But so true.

I follow the "guy in front of me" and "third down" rule. If the guy in front of me is standing, I am going to stand too. And if it is 3rd down and the other team has the ball, then standing, hollering and other ape like actions are permitted anywhere in the stands.

Makes total sense. I follow the same rules.

What is your opinion of how the fan base was in the stadium today?

Seemed to me like it was just the die hards there today. I liked it.

With 20,000 empty seats there was room to move around a little (extra empty beer holders). Fans were pretty loud relative to the attendance numbers.

Fans helped create offensive mistakes by Dolphins. Fans were loud when needed and quiet when needed.

Overall, I thought it was one of the better games. Of course, maybe it had something to do with the fact that the Bills were destroying the Dolphins?

Your take?

The fans were awesome.

As always.

To get around 55,000 to show up under the circumstances......meaningless game 14 years into a playoff drought........the list of fanbases that could do that is very short.

Proud of my fellow Bills fans who attended yesterday. That was some of the worst weather I can remember at any game over the years. Sparse but loud, the best of the best.

Good fanning!

I am just happy that the rain stayed away for the tailgate. I have the craziest video of that front rolling right over us in the parking lot. It was very surreal......

That was insane! Please post the video if you can.

I haven't been to a game since 1999, so it's good to hear everybody for the most part had a good time. I've been to games in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit and Philly, plus all Bills home games from 1987 to 1996. In all that time, the behavior of fans at the Ralph wasn't any different from fan bahavior at any of the other stadiums. There will always be a minority of fans who can't handle their alcohol.

I'm actually suprised that there isn't more violence in the northern stadiums. Thinking back over this past year, most of the serious violence has happened in places like Oakland, San Fran, and Seattle, where the weather is a lot better.

I agree OP. The stands were filled with knowledgable fans today. Not too much were idiots cheering when they should have been quiet and vice versa. I prefer it full with is winning, but it was a pretty solid day.

They were smart all game except for when they started boo'ing when we were about to kick the field goal and make it a 3 possession game.

The attendance as announced on TV was about 55K. That is MORE THAN the Steelers had last week against Cincy (45K), and would be a near sell-out at most NFL stadiums. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Conclusion: Bills have the best fans in the NFL. Period. Build a dome that seats 60K, take advantage of Buffalo's biggest advantage, it's fans and their noise (the elements are an advantage to some extent, but the noise more-so. For example, a home playoff game against NE would net no weather advantage.).

The fans were awesome.

As always.

To get around 55,000 to show up under the circumstances......meaningless game 14 years into a playoff drought........the list of fanbases that could do that is very short.

Only one fanbase could do that: The Bills.

They were smart all game except for when they started boo'ing when we were about to kick the field goal and make it a 3 possession game.

My oldest son was unhappy about that as well. But I told him to sit down and think about it for a minute. After a few seconds I could see the 3 possession game light bulb turn on over his head. ;)

I suspect for the boo'ing fans it was a knee jerk emotional response like it was for him at first.

My oldest son was unhappy about that as well. But I told him to sit down and think about it for a minute. After a few seconds I could see the 3 possession game light bulb turn on over his head. ;)

I suspect for the boo'ing fans it was a knee jerk emotional response like it was for him at first.

Most likely. Plus, what was the last game you had nothing to boo about. Prob just had to get it out of their systems. haha.

That was insane. I was standing up on the top of a big snow pile for it, and had a great view as tents started flying across the lots.

It felt like the temp drop 5 degrees in less than a minute. From Hammer's Lot it looked like there was a tornado in the the cloud!

Either that, or they just got used to boo'ing after every field goal attempt. I don't blame them for the 1st three field goal attempts. But the last one was still uncalled for. Either way, I still thank the fans for showing up.

I didn't make it to the game Sunday, but I was in my Section 108 seat for the rest of them. Is it my imagination or did we used to sit for 80% or more of the plays and now we stand for 95% of them? I like standing myself - the crowds energy is way higher.

I was there, it was our annual "one side of my family" game. Usually the Dolphins game. I agree with the "it was as loud as most games" comments.

I saw plenty of good-natured ribbing of Dolphin fans, and 0 a-hole behavior. Which...is pretty much what I always see.

What I almost always see: opposing fans get exactly what they deserve. The kids who start schit, get schit. The kids who are cool, and smile and nod when they get ribbed a little, get nothing more. Karma is a B word...especially when you look for trouble from a large group of people, which means it's a mathematical certainty that some in that group can fight a whole lot better than you.

And, the nice part was: we didn't have to put up with any of the weak-ass "don't stand up...ever" nonsense. Why is the following so hard to understand:

1. Stand and be loud on D, and on our returns.

2. Sit quietly on O, and our kicks.

???? Elementary school kids know when it's time to stand up/sit down, yet this seems too difficult a concept for some adults to grasp? No. They're just annoyed that for 3 hours a week, they don't get things 100% their way. :rolleyes: So, rather than letting other fans enjoy the game their way too...they call security or stand the whole game? D-bags!

The "rules" above are a good compromise, as it helps the team, and doesn't hurt the team. (How much do you hate it when our QB has to wave his arms down, to tell us, the supposed "most knowledgeable fans in the league" to STFU? :wallbash:) Just figure it out already.

However, this was the best game for following those simple and obviously correct rules I've seen in a long time.

The black/orange cloud made of WTF?, moving in at 100 mph?...caused us to drop our tent down/take down some tarps. Man that was weird. Never seen anything like it. I expected a tornado to come, or something. One second I'm grilling, next second I'm keeping a tent pole from bending in half. Friggin crazy.

That was one of the best games I've ever been to, and it's a shame some missed it.

On the other hand, if you are one of the "standing problem" people I've mentioned above, stay home, always. I'm sure there's some PGA you could be watching. Perhaps it's time to look into that assisted living community after all. Or, on the other side, perhaps there's some wrestling or MMA, you could be watching? Perhaps it's time to go actually train as a fighter, instead of just posing as one on Sunday. Training as a fighter gives you a whole new self-respect, which is exactly what the a-hole fan lacks.

Edited by OCinBuffalo