Good remakes of classic songs

OGTEleven

Ok, I'll bite...I'm an REM fan, Superman was a cover or are you saying someone since has covered that song. I'm not familiar with either scenario...

Well I'll be....just looked it up....I had absolutely no idea. I've never heard the original and have never heard it was a remake....1130pm and I learned something new...I guess it was a good day!

The title of the thread should be tweeked a little. What defines "classic?" When Jimi did it, IMO, it wasn't classic by Dylan. Heck, Jim practically did it within the same year Dylan did it! 1967/68 by Dylan. Dylan and Jimi's came out during the same era and like I said within almost the same year... SO, Jimi made it a classic!

The thread should morph into good or better remakes of the original... Drop the whole classic bit. That's a little easier. One song that totally fits that bill is REM's "Superman."

Anyway, on the converse and speaking of remakes that are God awful... w/All Along the Watchtower... Anybody remember Jim Schoenfeld's abortion of that song and his equally disturbing album... LoL ??

Edited by The Poojer

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll bite...I'm an REM fan, Superman was a cover or are you saying someone since has covered that song. I'm not familiar with either scenario...

Well I'll be....just looked it up....I had absolutely no idea. I've never heard the original and have never heard it was a remake....1130pm and I learned something new...I guess it was a good day!

Yeah... I am going w/the theme about songs that sound better (maybe became classics) as a cover song. Marley's: I Shot the Sheriff by Clapton probably falls into that category, of course not as extreme as Superman (the original was so obscure) but really became a hit under the person(s) who did the cover. I guess both are classics now, but when Clapton did it, it really was not a classic.

well i think the original premise is more fun...there are too many instances of someone taking an obscure song and putting their own twist on things, heck, Counting Crows just did a full CD of other peoples music. The thread as is, taking an established 'hit' and re-making it, that is a challenge for bands, to either copy it as close to the original or, like in the case of All Along The Watchtower, put their mark on it and make it a 'new' song...hell Clapton did it to himself with Layla, the original version and the MTV Unplugged version. I prefer the original thread idea.

Yeah... I am going w/the theme about songs that sound better (maybe became classics) as a cover song. Marley's: I Shot the Sheriff by Clapton probably falls into that category, of course not as extreme as Superman (the original was so obscure) but really became a hit under the person(s) who did the cover. I guess both are classics now, but when Clapton did it, it really was not a classic.

So, these are supposed to be "hits" and not "obscure songs?"

Not "hits" but "classic". Imo, it is hard to define what constitutes a classic. Is it solely time? All Along the Watchtower does not fit the time requirement, they were done so cloes to each other. ??

Like the poster above... Nirvana doing "In the Pines" totally fits the bill... Classic, but obscure classic.

Now Nirvana doing Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World" is equally as good... But is that considered a "classic?"

As you can see, I am having a tough time with this whole "classic" thing and what people are putting out there! LoL...

Anyway... Keep 'em coming, they are all gr8!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Linda Ronsadt, back in her all-american babe days, did a killer cover of the Stones "Tumbling Dice" It one of my very favorite Stones songs, so not sure if I would say it is better than the original, but definitely a "good cover of a classic song"...not sure why, exactly she changed the opening lyric from, "women think I'm tasty, always trying to waste me" to "people try to rape me, always think I'm crazy", but whatever...I suspect it is one of the few (if not only) top 40 hits to have the word "rape" in it.....

On the anniversary of Joe Strummers death, was gonna post the Clash doing Bobby Fullers "I Fought the Law"...but realizing we have a lot of Cash fans....I submit this awesome Bob Marley cover of "Redemption Song"...fitting that it was one of the last things either men recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCqb-pVZ71s

Edited by linksfiend

it said this a Bob Dylan tune, a man from my hometown Richard Manual sang it with more emotion , more soul. Each day I walk the rive in Stratford walk and sit on his bench, I shall be released so very much superior. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ore6K3ESTLc . People visit Manuals grave in Stratford Ontario's Cemetery , his grave marked by a stone with key boards on it, surrounded by pennies that signify a visitor, dimes that signify a personal friend, a bottle of Liquor that Richard enjoyed. I shall be released a most personal and very real emotion of a rock legend .