OK, say the Bills draft at the 10 spot no later

BuffaloBaumer

I can't for the life of me understand the obsession by some with a TE when it's pretty much obvious that the O line needs at least two new starters. Chandler is a perfectly fine, middle of the pack TE and Gragg I believe is going to be a good one. Sure, if the next Gronk or Gonzalez would be available, then okay. But the problem with the TE position AND with WR has more to do with the QB. Even on that slant reception by Gragg last Sunday -- about as easy a pass as Manuel could have hoped for -- he threw behind him. And ILB is now a top priority? More important than RT, RG, LG? Seriously?

How many teams currently slated to make the playoffs have a 'perfectly fine, middle of the pack TE" starting for them right now?

1? Maybe 2? Out of 12!!!

All 8 teams in the last 4 super bowls had above average TEs, most had stud TEs.

This isn't 1984. TE is one of the most productive positions for an offense. If you looked at team results, you could easily make an argument that TE is the 2nd most important offensive position in the modern NFL, short of only QB.

Edited by peterpan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TE's with hall of fame QB's throwing to them who are playing on teams that have won a SB and been contenders year in and year out. I am all for a great TE but I don't see a Gonzalez in this draft and this team has a lot of other holes to fill.

all very true, i've just gotten really good at playing the "what if" game over the last decade or so. i find the hypothetical bright spot in just about everything.

How many teams currently slated to make the playoffs have a 'perfectly fine, middle of the pack TE" starting for them right now?

1? Maybe 2? Out of 12!!!

This isn't 1984. TE is one of the most productive positions for an offense. If you looked at team results, you could easily make an argument that TE is the 2nd most important offensive position in the modern NFL, short of only QB.

The bolded part of your statement is the key. The Bills are far, far, far from being a playoff team and the addition of a TE is not in the top three needs for the team. Further, one of the reasons those TEs seem to be above average comes down to having a solid QB. Take any one of them and put them on this Bills team, and then see just how above average they are.

I can't for the life of me understand the obsession by some with a TE when it's pretty much obvious that the O line needs at least two new starters. Chandler is a perfectly fine, middle of the pack TE and Gragg I believe is going to be a good one. Sure, if the next Gronk or Gonzalez would be available, then okay. But the problem with the TE position AND with WR has more to do with the QB. Even on that slant reception by Gragg last Sunday -- about as easy a pass as Manuel could have hoped for -- he threw behind him. And ILB is now a top priority? More important than RT, RG, LG? Seriously?

They aren't going to waste a top 10 pick on a guard.

Put it this way, almost any team would trade you their starting guard for that pick. Maybe every team.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

The bolded part of your statement is the key. The Bills are far, far, far from being a playoff team and the addition of a TE is not in the top three needs for the team. Further, one of the reasons those TEs seem to be above average comes down to having a solid QB. Take any one of them and put them on this Bills team, and then see just how above average they are.

I strongly disagree with this. The NFL is awash with inferior teams, even the playoff teams are inferior. Look at how bad the AFC playoff teams are looking! Look at how quickly the "good" teams fell and "bad" teams got good in just one year. The Bills just need another player or two, get luckier with avoiding injuries and gain a little confidence in themselves to propel them into the 2014 playoffs. This is a much different league than it was even five years ago. IMO the Bills are right there at the door even if their record doesn't show it this year.

I cant understand how anyone who has been watching the NFL for the past 7 yrs or so can disregard the importance/evolution of the TE position in the NFL.

The good ones are arguably the best athletes on the field. They can make an offense dynamic much the same way an elite WR can, except that a good TE wont cost you a top 5 pick ala calvin, green, johnson, etc.

A playmaking TE is the best bang for your buck in todays NFL (IMO). This offense needs one.

I think you nailed it. Our OL is pitiful. With all of the fire power we all ready have in skill positions, we really need to fix the trenches. Not only do we have Chandler and Gragg, we also just picked up a promising 6'3" 254lb TE(Moeaki). People just don't see the break downs of the OL. Why is Manual getting sacked 4 times a game? Why can't CJ find a hole to run through? How can people not see this? Having a good center and a good LT is nice, but they can't do everything. The other three players on that line need to produce too. Edited by Rockinon

I took a slightly different approach. I looked on the Draft Tek Board, and they have Mariota at #10. Since the Bills won't take a QB in round 1, I went down the board. Evans was at #11. Now, I really don't think we'll take him in the first, but I won't complain if I'm wrong.

Obviously last year wasn't the greatest year to need a QB, but despite that, the Bills had a solid draft, which could turn into a great one if EJ develops. This year however supply and demand seem to align almost perfectly for Buffalo. If it isn't their top need, LB has to be very high on the list for the Bills and the top of this year's draft is STOCKED with elite LB talent. It's hard to imagine a scenario where the Bills won't have one of, if not two of the LBs listed below to choose from when they pick. All of these guys paired with Kiko could help turn perhaps the weakest unit on the Bills to the strongest in a single offseason.

Anthony Barr - UCLA - 6'4" 244 - 63 Tackles, 10 Sacks (Might be best defensive player in the draft)

Khalil Mack - UB - 6'3" 248 - 94 Tackles, 11 Sacks, 3 INTS (Plays inferior talent but just looks like a machine on the field)

CJ Mosely - Alabama - 6'2" 232 - 100 Tackles (Cornerstone of an incerdible Bama defense)

Add this to the fact that finding an good LG in the second round isn't impossible (got Cordy Glenn there) and the Bills could be filing the few remaining BIG holes pretty quickly. (I just hope they don't create more by letting Byrd go.)

I strongly disagree with this. The NFL is awash with inferior teams, even the playoff teams are inferior. Look at how bad the AFC playoff teams are looking! Look at how quickly the "good" teams fell and "bad" teams got good in just one year. The Bills just need another player or two, get luckier with avoiding injuries and gain a little confidence in themselves to propel them into the 2014 playoffs. This is a much different league than it was even five years ago. IMO the Bills are right there at the door even if their record doesn't show it this year.

I think it's more like 5 players: LB, LG, RG, LT and QB.

Not quite....

Ravens 2012: Ed Dickson

NYG 2011: Jake Ballard

Packer 2010: Donald Lee

Edit: Don't get me wrong though......your point is still very valid with 5 out of 8 having stud TEs.

Seems like a stud TE is a star QBs best friend.

Edited by Dibs

Barr won't be there when we drat and Mack scares me because of who he plays against. I love Mosely because of who he plays. I believe you move him to middle linebacker and Kiko to outside and let him roam(Von Miller). I do think we go Big reciver first though, hopefully Evans.

Barr won't be there when we drat and Mack scares me because of who he plays against. I love Mosely because of who he plays. I believe you move him to middle linebacker and Kiko to outside and let him roam(Von Miller). I do think we go Big reciver first though, hopefully Evans.

Mosley scares me bc of the lack of succes for Bama linebackers in the nfl. I really hate that logic and won't guarantee him to be a bust bc of it but it does concern me.

Edited by section122