Its all about the culture

billsfan_34

We have plenty of talent to win, minus some needed help on the o line. And sure we need a linebacker and a TE plus a get some tough yards between the tackles RB. The problem is the culture of losing in our locker room. I really hope Marrone is the man to change the mindset. Pittsburgh wins and they dont have half the talent we have right now, minus the qb position of course. 14 years is a rough stretch. Heres to hopin it wont be 15. Happy holidays everyone!!!

I'm from Syracuse and I was big-time psyched when SU Orange football coaches Marrone, et al, were selected to coach the Buffalo Bills.

A lot of SU fans around me thought completely otherwise. They said i was wearing "rose colored glasses" and that Marrone, et al, would never succeed in Buffalo.

They were right.

I was wrong.

I don't know, the "minus some talent on the o-line" part stands out pretty starkly. They have NO LEFT GUARD. They just don't have one, they went into the season without one and don't have one. Brilliant. Their RG is barely adequate and their RT kills 2-3 drives per game.

Having only 2 capable starters on an offensive line, especially when installing a ground-based offense with a rookie QB who you're trying to protect, is asinine, and to my mind it's the reason they're not in the playoff hunt.

Idiots.

I'm from Syracuse and I was big-time psyched when SU Orange football coaches Marrone, et al, were selected to coach the Buffalo Bills.

A lot of SU fans around me thought completely otherwise. They said i was wearing "rose colored glasses" and that Marrone, et al, would never succeed in Buffalo.

They were right.

I was wrong.

1 season and you're already claiming it to be a failure?

I don't know, the "minus some talent on the o-line" part stands out pretty starkly. They have NO LEFT GUARD. They just don't have one, they went into the season without one and don't have one. Brilliant. Their RG is barely adequate and their RT kills 2-3 drives per game.

Having only 2 capable starters on an offensive line, especially when installing a ground-based offense with a rookie QB who you're trying to protect, is asinine, and to my mind it's the reason they're not in the playoff hunt.

Idiots.

I don't understand how this isn't more readily apparent to most people, especially considering how it was universally accepted that Fitz made the offensive line a lot better with his quick, decisive reads, and how we passed to set up the run game under Gailey, which is the opposite of what we do now.

Heading into the offseason, I wasn't alone in worrying that we'd have a major regression on the offense, and I certainly wasn't alone in being concerned with the offensive line.

If they could get an upgrade at RT and LG Urbik wouldn't be so bad. "Good lines" frequently have an average player amongst the 5 who is insulated by the play of his teammates. For example if Urbik was the weak link as an average player, it would be more difficult for opponents to exploit than Legursky as a scrub as the weak link

I agree, our OL is a major concern. Which I hope we correct in the off season. But I liked what I saw in EJ yesterday. I think he showed a lot of progress compared to earlier this season. I still have hope going into next year. I know I am in the minority, but I hope we win out to close the season. Winning will be more constructive than a better draft pick.

I've been saying the right side needs to be upgraded for the last few years but a lot of fans haven't agreed with me

I agree completely. The culture in Buffalo has to change. In order for that to happen we need to continue to build this defense. As of now we're only one or two additions away from having an elite unit. On offense I'd like to see us line up under center a lot more. We need to spend this off-season and our resources to solidify the offensive line and acquire, not one, but two tight ends. We need to become a team that grounds and pounds our way to victory. You limit the turnovers that way and keep the defense fresh. Scrap the no-huddle, too. If we do this the wins will come and the culture will change.

They were right.

I was wrong.

I know what you mean. About 10 years ago I watched my infant niece's first 12 attempts at walking and just knew she would never succeed.

:wacko:

The culture that needs to change is the one around Western New York. The negativity that permeates western New York starts with the weather, high taxes, lack of good paying jobs, the fact that all we raise our kids here and then they all move away to Florida, Arizona, California, North Carolina or someplace warmer.

Our children that do stay here can't find good paying jobs so that they can buy a house raise a family and live the American dream. Our population has dwindled, our government leaders keep making promises but they can't keep. the bills are forced to be of a regional team,

Southern tier, Canada, Erie Pa, etc,

The Toronto game experiment is a colossal failure. there is no plan in place for who takes over the Bills after Ralph Wilson dies. The Bills could be moving to L.A. or somewhere else in 6 years, which would leave a huge hole in western New York. We're dealing with a lot of stuff. Throw in a rookie coach, new quarterback and about 40 to 50 percent turnover on the actual team and you're looking at another 6 win season.

They were right.

I was wrong.

I don't post here often, but saw this comment and felt compelled. I go to SU and I had the complete opposite reaction at first. I felt that Marrone coming here made both of my football teams worse, because I didn't think he had what it took to be an NFL head coach. But I feel that he's proven me wrong. The players respect him, he's animated on the sidelines (who is the last bills head coach to actually get mad about a refs bad call?), and it really seems like this team is headed in the right direction.

The last time the bills made the playoffs, I was 8 years old. I went through all of middle school, high school, and now all of college without them sniffing success. But for some reason, for the first time in the last 14 years, it really feels different to me. I know we've had some ugly losses, I know the team didn't show up against Pittsburgh or Tampa, and I know we've blown a lot of close games that we should have won, but Marrone is going to do something special here. Give this guy a full offseason to put his stamp on the team before calling him a failure.

Someone please define what a "winning culture" is.

So...the Steelers lost that culture the first half and magically found it in the second? Two years ago, we found a winning culture the first half and then lost it? Or, is the Steelers adjusted and teams adjusted to us?

Every year, you'll see stories about how the "culture" is changing. (Check this board).

They were right.

I was wrong.

Im sorry....but I dont buy what you say for a minute....not even a second. If there has been a positive post on this board from you I havent seen it.

And

If you REALLY thought that much of Coach Marrone you would give him some time to work out the issues.......it takes time to turn around a losing culture.

For anyone to claim that they can close the book on Marrone after 14 games of his first season, 10 of which were started with a rookie Quarterback and the other 4 of which were started by back-ups (one of whom was a rookie UDFA) is simply ridiculous. The persistent accusations that anyone seeing any hope is an apologist for the franchise or is not being a realist are equally stupid. Belichick, Coughlin, Mike McCarthy to name just three recent examples all won Superbowls with their teams and yet none had a winning record in their first season. I'm not saying Marrone will be as good as any of those guys... I just can't say yet that he won't.

The argument that he won't because Gailey wasn't and Jauron wasn't and Williams wasn't is a pathetic and tiresome one.

Idiots.

This is the most accurate, you win by acquiring and creating more talent (draft, free agency, player development, schemes that best use player strengths and hide player weaknesses) then you lose/destroy (free agency, injury/age, character issues, schemes unsuited for players, loss of motivation).

More "culture" nonsense. This team gets a new coaching staff every 3 years, and lots of new players every year. It's like people think some voodoo priestess put a curse on the ralph or something.

If you have quality coaching and players, particularly QB, you win. If not you range from mediocre to putrid. With or without the voodoo.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1 season and you're already claiming it to be a failure?

I saw Marrone, et al, coach here at SU. I was never impressed. I guess I got carried away when the SU Orange coaching staff went to the Buffalo Bils of the NFL.

Now I'm back down to the planet Earth and back to seeing the severe long term limitations of Marrone, et al.

If there has been a positive post on this board from you I havent seen it.

You're right about that!

When the Bills are winning and looking good I LOVE to talk about it with actual people face-to-face. When they stink I come here.