5-9 how

KRT88

The Defense allowed 25.3 ppg. DOH, it's EJ's fault. My apologies

shame on those who ONLY want to blame EJ.

So what do you have top say about EJ Manuel breaking Dennis Shaw's Bills' rookie TD record?.

It means we have not had many good young QBs on this team. I'm not putting down Manuel. I think he's going to be good. Rookie QB who has missed lots of time this year also threw 2 TDs and ran for another in a victory. Hard to criticize too much.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it speaks to a losing attitude, a team full of players who dont know how to win

good teams find ways to win because they have done it before, they believe, they have confidence and they refuse to lose

This team needs to learn how to do that - winning out this year will go a long ways towards starting the turn around (if its going to happen in this regime) - win, gain confidence, know that this group can do it (because its largely going to be the same group again next season) - win now, and let it breed and build over the off season

YUP

I don't know where to find the stat for that but......as of last week we had the 28th rated team passer rating at 74.1, but we had the 5th best defensive passer rating of 78.5. I think our differential might be fairly decent(probably around the league average).

its running a shade negative, which was going to be my guess. Im not sure where you would find the rankings either, short of manually putting them into a spreadsheet... id guess that puts them right in the 20-25 range... which is right where their record is.

in terms of importance, QB is worth 50% of the success or failure of your offense. the other 10 players are worth 5% each.

EJ is NOT the only problem on offense. you could bring in a pro bowl left guard and pro bowl tight end and EJ is still the same mediocre QB he is.

dennis shaw's rookie record is near meaningless.

until you have a superstar franchise QB you are wasting your time. i like EJ, but he will NEVER be a franchise QB. he will be lucky to crack the Top 20.

And you know that how? Do you know the up coming lotto numbers as well?

if Peyton Manning was the QB of this team, we would be 9-5.....not 5-9.

EJ MANUEL is ranked #28th in BOTH passer rating and total QBR. thats not good enough.

I generally agree. But it's hard to fault Manuel for losing against ATL when the offense scored 31 points. He also left the field with a lead against NE, which Manning didn't do. That's 2 games that completely changed the season. Even in the Cleveland game, it might be a different outcome if EJ doesn't get hurt.

So yes with the top QBs, this definitely is a playoff team. But the blame can go other places as well. And the reason for the high sacks and INTs is because it's a blitz heavy system. Part of the risk in that is you will get burned by big plays at times. It's why Dallas got rid of Rob Ryan. And that has worked out great for them.

its running a shade negative, which was going to be my guess. Im not sure where you would find the rankings either, short of manually putting them into a spreadsheet... id guess that puts them right in the 20-25 range... which is right where their record is.

I had a few minutes so I did just that :D .

(The numbers are from last weeks stats though).

Bills are 22nd with a 0.94 differential.

For interest sake....

Top 5:

SEA 1.62

DEN 1.30

NO 1.23

SF 1.21

KC 1.19

Bottom 5:

NYJ 0.67

OAK 0.71

JAX 0.72

WASH 0.81

NYG, MIN, HOU 0.82

For interest sake....

Top 5:

SEA 1.62

DEN 1.30

NO 1.23

SF 1.21

KC 1.19

Bottom 5:

NYJ 0.67

OAK 0.71

JAX 0.72

WASH 0.81

NYG, MIN, HOU 0.82

and really, no surprises high, low, or with us.

(also, thanks for taking the time!)

Edited by NoSaint

and really, no surprises high, low, or with us.

(also, thanks for taking the time!)

I thought the Jets were a bit of a surprise considering they were 6-7 with those stats.

(No surprise considering how badly we have seen Gino play recently though :lol: )

I thought the Jets were a bit of a surprise considering they were 6-7 with those stats.

(No surprise considering how badly we have seen Gino play recently though :lol: )

yea, i was going to mention them.... 4 of those losses they scored single digits, and their point differential is absurdly skewed bad. i didnt expect them to have that big a gap between us and them, but im not surprised that they were bottom 5.

Edited by NoSaint

The defense is just perplexing to me.

I don't think there is a single position where I think we need an upgrade. Statistically they are stellar in sacks and picks. They play stout against the run for like 90 percent of the game.

I just don't know how they can get better.

too many big plays allowed. you look at every game we've played, and if you take away 1 or 2 big plays (that the defense allowed) each game, we are in the mix for wildcard. and that's with no improvement to offensive play.

with coaching continuity (i can't believe i just said that), some more depth and a playmaker or two on offense, we have to be in the mix next year. or its time to blow it up all over again.

The defense is just perplexing to me.

I don't think there is a single position where I think we need an upgrade. Statistically they are stellar in sacks and picks. They play stout against the run for like 90 percent of the game.

I just don't know how they can get better.

Personally, I think everyone on the D-Line has played fantastic all season. But in Pettine's system - when the DL is asked to play so AGGRESSIVE and there is so much blitzing from all over the field, it doesn't leave much room for error with the guys behind them. In another system, a blown assignment (like the linebacker crashing to the wrong gap) may turn into a 10 yard gain. In ours, it's probably a touchdown.

The best solution, of course, is to make less mistakes. Better discipline. Less blown assignments. Better reads by the linebackers and safeties. Less penalties, giving the opponent a second chance.

Hopefully, we will see more improvement from everyone after a full season in Pettine's system. Instinctive linebackers are essential on this team, so Kiko still needs to get better. And we really need to give him some help at the WLB spot. Moats and Bradham just aren't cutting it. We also need more consistent play out of Stephon Gilmore. This team is counting on him to be shutdown in 1-on-1 situations. He hasn't been good enough.

For interest sake....

Top 5:

SEA 1.62

DEN 1.30

NO 1.23

SF 1.21

KC 1.19

Bottom 5:

NYJ 0.67

OAK 0.71

JAX 0.72

WASH 0.81

NYG, MIN, HOU 0.82

you're one of the best posters on this board. :thumbsup:

How does this happen? In one word, QUARTERBACK. The production from the most important position on the team has been bad. Hence, the 5-9 record. Let's hope Manuel takes a big jump next year otherwise it will be more of the same.

He only played 14 games that year. and if you analyze the numbers, the main reason the Bills have a losing record is their QB play coupled with defensive lapses at the wrong times. Maybe Manuel will get better, but my feeling is he will continue to be inconsistent. One good game, one bad game, one good throw, one bad throw. We'll see what happens next year.

If you are referring to the record ....

what week is this? 14. How many weeks was EJ out of the picture? 4 weeks.

Ergo as I see it EJ Manuel broke Dennis Shaw's rookie TD record in less games played.

---------------------

Also not everyone is perfect.

Who played worse this week EJ or Eli M?

Who played worse this season EJ or Geno Smith?

What about when Brady throws 4 INT's in a game?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The key word is "Consistency". The Bills are a talented football team. However, they are also a very young football team in many key areas -- not the least of which is the QB of the offense as well as the QB of the defense (Kiko). The coaches too, of course. As these young men get more experience, I believe (hope) the team will improve, provided everyone is patient enough.

what if Peyton missed 4 games

then you put EJ in and hope he wins 2.

biggest needs in order of impact:

#1- FRANCHISE QB

#2- RT (move pears to LG)

#3- DT ( move Dareus to DE)

#4- TE (weakest unit on team)

#5- OLB ( moats and bradham stink)

We're on a perpetual hamster wheel of futility. A couple of years of respectable offense... coupled with a crappy D-coordinator that squanders our talent. An aggressive D that is playing relatively well, coupled with rookie QB, coaching staff, etc. A new GM and philosophy, coupled with a losing culture and lack of vision/accountability for what we want to be as an organization.

I hope that this latest crew can put it all together, including the organizational identity & culture pieces. I'm not optimistic, though, especially considering that Russ Brandon is running this thing, and has NEVER been part of a winning organization (or knows what it takes to build one). I belive that HE believes that he knows what he's doing, but to me; he is just a good snake oil salesman. And, he has mastered the art of getting promoted, while the organization is a perrenial dumpster fire...