5-9 how

KRT88

The Bills overall make no sense:

How do you have a team that ranks

Forth in the league in Rushing (138.2)

First in the League in Sacks (49)

Third in the league in Interceptions (20)

yet still struggle to reach 5-9?

here's how...

Ranks 26th in Rushing

Ranks 27th in Passing

A defense that makes big plays all over the field and then gives up bigger plays all over the field at the worst possible moments.

An offense that runs the ball so well but can't use that to set up a quality, middle of the road passing attack (ranks 29th - .192.5).

A team which runs the ball so well, you think they'd be better in TOP (ranks 30th at 28:16).

Overall, I think this team has shown so much promise but they still make the same mistakes as always, still get far to creative in finding ways to lose.

However, I just had a bad thought.... this years team, with last years defense.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I think this team has shown so much promise but they still make the same mistakes as always, still get far to creative in finding ways to lose.

The problem is lack of focus in getting the job done. Many offensive drives have stalled or defensive drives kept alive by untimely penalties or bad plays (over-pursuit or dropping catchable passes or fumbling them at the wrong time)....As everyone knows the difference in the NFL is razor thin. A play here and there can be the difference between a 10-6 and 6-10 team. The teams that know how to make those plays or avoid the bad plays are the 10-6 guys and the ones that consistently make the wrong plays at the most inopportune time are the 6-10s....Unfortunately, we are in the later bucket. Yesterday for example, it was so maddening for this defense to give up consistently 3rd and Longs into 1st downs or sometimes TDs. It was darn crazy.

it speaks to a losing attitude, a team full of players who dont know how to win

good teams find ways to win because they have done it before, they believe, they have confidence and they refuse to lose

This team needs to learn how to do that - winning out this year will go a long ways towards starting the turn around (if its going to happen in this regime) - win, gain confidence, know that this group can do it (because its largely going to be the same group again next season) - win now, and let it breed and build over the off season

The Bills overall make no sense:

How do you have a team that ranks

Forth in the league in Rushing (138.2)

First in the League in Sacks (49)

Third in the league in Interceptions (20)

yet still struggle to reach 5-9?

here's how...

Ranks 26th in Rushing

Ranks 27th in Passing

A defense that makes big plays all over the field and then gives up bigger plays all over the field at the worst possible moments.

An offense that runs the ball so well but can't use that to set up a quality, middle of the road passing attack (ranks 29th - .192.5).

A team which runs the ball so well, you think they'd be better in TOP (ranks 30th at 28:16).

Plays per game has quite a large impact on all of those stats.

We are 3rd in offensive plays per game and 5th in defensive plays per game.

The problem is lack of focus in getting the job done. Many offensive drives have stalled or defensive drives kept alive by untimely penalties or bad plays (over-pursuit or dropping catchable passes or fumbling them at the wrong time)....As everyone knows the difference in the NFL is razor thin. A play here and there can be the difference between a 10-6 and 6-10 team. The teams that know how to make those plays or avoid the bad plays are the 10-6 guys and the ones that consistently make the wrong plays at the most inopportune time are the 6-10s....Unfortunately, we are in the later bucket. Yesterday for example, it was so maddening for this defense to give up consistently 3rd and Longs into 1st downs or sometimes TDs. It was darn crazy.

+1 This, and not being able to put teams away when many chances have been placed right in front of them on a big silver platter, all have been common denominators throughout the season.

This.

Isn't that complicated. The teams with winning records have had good to great QB play this year. The teams that don't, haven't.

Uh, it is more complicated. What makes QB play better? Blocking? A good run game? Superior receivers? Play calling? Quality of opposing defenses? It's not all just the QB.

PTR

The defense is just perplexing to me.

I don't think there is a single position where I think we need an upgrade. Statistically they are stellar in sacks and picks. They play stout against the run for like 90 percent of the game.

I just don't know how they can get better.

Play with leads

Kiko getting a full offseason under his belt

Gilmore figuring himself out

shame on those who ONLY want to blame EJ.

The Defense allowed 25.3 ppg. DOH, it's EJ's fault. My apologies

We did go 1-4 in the games that EJ didn't finish......so overall, I'd say placing a large chunk of the blame on QB play was warranted, though it shouldn't be entirely shouldered by EJ.

We did go 1-4 in the games that EJ didn't finish......so overall, I'd say placing a large chunk of the blame on QB play was warranted, though it shouldn't be entirely shouldered by EJ.

If I recall, and it speaks to a few of your points I think, passer rating differential is one of the better predictors of success for a team. I'd be curious to see where we sit on that one.

in terms of importance, QB is worth 50% of the success or failure of your offense. the other 10 players are worth 5% each.

EJ is NOT the only problem on offense. you could bring in a pro bowl left guard and pro bowl tight end and EJ is still the same mediocre QB he is.

dennis shaw's rookie record is near meaningless.

until you have a superstar franchise QB you are wasting your time. i like EJ, but he will NEVER be a franchise QB. he will be lucky to crack the Top 20.

The Defense allowed 25.3 ppg. DOH, it's EJ's fault. My apologies

shame on those who ONLY want to blame EJ.

So what do you have top say about EJ Manuel breaking Dennis Shaw's Bills' rookie TD record?.

He only played 14 games that year. and if you analyze the numbers, the main reason the Bills have a losing record is their QB play coupled with defensive lapses at the wrong times. Maybe Manuel will get better, but my feeling is he will continue to be inconsistent. One good game, one bad game, one good throw, one bad throw. We'll see what happens next year.

If I recall, and it speaks to a few of your points I think, passer rating differential is one of the better predictors of success for a team. I'd be curious to see where we sit on that one.

I don't know where to find the stat for that but......as of last week we had the 28th rated team passer rating at 74.1, but we had the 5th best defensive passer rating of 78.5. I think our differential might be fairly decent(probably around the league average).