Casting an ant hill in aluminum

The Poojer

Poor ants. Also, I think it's pretty cool but no way am I shelling out $3600 for one. (I looked on up on eBay. 80 bids at $3600)

Very interesting. 3600$ you say? Not that interesting.

Interesting enough that if there's a real market for these, I'll learn how to do it.

Interesting enough that if there's a real market for these, I'll learn how to do it.

That seems like a lot of Al... I wonder what it goes for, price that is? Doesn't it take a special smelter or something? I am pretty sure it isn't like making lead sinkers... Doesn't it take a lot of heat? Probably why the cost is high? I don't think it is as easy as melting old Pepsi and Labatt's cans! ;-)

The ant hill is sand... Nature's foundry... Pretty cool!

That seems like a lot of Al... I wonder what it goes for, price that is? Doesn't it take a special smelter or something? I am pretty sure it isn't like making lead sinkers... Doesn't it take a lot of heat? Probably why the cost is high? I don't think it is as easy as melting old Pepsi and Labatt's cans! ;-)

The ant hill is sand... Nature's foundry... Pretty cool!

A friend of mine built a smelter in his back yard. Aluminum doesn't need a lot of heat to melt, you actually don't want to use too much or it will become a noxious vapor. Not hard to build and it's a cooler way to get rid of my beer cans than returning them.

A friend of mine built a smelter in his back yard. Aluminum doesn't need a lot of heat to melt, you actually don't want to use too much or it will become a noxious vapor. Not hard to build and it's a cooler way to get rid of my beer cans than returning them.

Awesome! Thanks... What do you do w/the melted beer cans? Do you get more recycling them than what you paid for deposit? (assuming you live in a deposit state, which I assume since you said: "returning them")

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Awesome! Thanks... What do you do w/the melted beer cans? Do you get more recycling them than what you paid for deposit? (assuming you live in a deposit state, which I assume since you said: "returning them")

Right now we've just made a bunch of ingots. Going to be casting them soon, but that is actually pretty difficult to do. You need the right tools to make molds that hold together properly. If they are selling those anthills for that much, we'll probably cast a few of them to sell :)

Edited by LikeIGiveADarn

Poor ants. Also, I think it's pretty cool but no way am I shelling out $3600 for one. (I looked on up on eBay. 80 bids at $3600)

Somebody posted this on facebook a few days ago. They were saying how it was an abandoned anthill, not that I'm too upset about getting rid of fire ants if it wasn't.

Somebody posted this on facebook a few days ago. They were saying how it was an abandoned anthill, not that I'm too upset about getting rid of fire ants if it wasn't.

Towards the end when the thing started to get filled up and the steam was coming out, it looked like a few ants were scurrying for their lives!

Unless you practice ahimsa, what is wrong with killing ants, especially a monster hill like that? Somebody explain the enviro benefits of ants (there has has to be something)... Look what termites are doing, I was reading somewhere where they are adding to the global warming thing... LoL.. Oh boy! LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Towards the end when the thing started to get filled up and the steam was coming out, it looked like a few ants were scurrying for their lives!

Unless you practice ahimsa, what is wrong with killing ants, especially a monster hill like that? Somebody explain the enviro benefits of ants (there has has to be something)... Look what termites are doing, I was reading somewhere where they are adding to the global warming thing... LoL.. Oh boy! LoL...

Ant society is an example how humanity should live. It would be amazing if mankind could work together like ants, instead of being the selfish, greedy, egotistical, clueless, ungrateful bunch the majority are.

Aluminum melts at 660°C

Why do I know this? I once had a TA put our aluminum sample trays into a baking kiln set for 670°C :doh:

Ant society is an example how humanity should live. It would be amazing if mankind could work together like ants, instead of being the selfish, greedy, egotistical, clueless, ungrateful bunch the majority are.

So we should all be grateful that we are working for the queen? Don't we deserve a little more?

You got me why this popped into my head: LoL

"...Don't try to bleed me

'Cause I've been there before

And I deserve a little more

I belong in the service of the Queen

I belong anywhere but in between..."

;-P

Aluminum melts at 660°C

Why do I know this? I once had a TA put our aluminum sample trays into a baking kiln set for 670°C :doh:

That is pretty damn hot @ 1220 degrees F... Lead is just over half that @ 621 F.