Is Anthony Barr Really That Good?

Rob's House

I see this guy ranked really high by damn near every expert, but I just don't get it. Granted I've only seen 4-5 of his games, but I've never seen anything that made me think "that guy's good!" is it just his measurables that everyone's high on or are they seeing something I'm not?

I see this guy ranked really high by damn near every expert, but I just don't get it. Granted I've only seen 4-5 of his games, but I've never seen anything that made me think "that guy's good!" is it just his measurables that everyone's high on or are they seeing something I'm not?

I haven't seen him play either - but hear he is up there with CJ Mosely, Khalil Mack, Ryan Shazier, etc. I do like Borland out of Wisconsin... he is a Brian Cushing type.

I haven't seen him play either - but hear he is up there with CJ Mosely, Khalil Mack, Ryan Shazier, etc. I do like Borland out of Wisconsin... he is a Brian Cushing type.

I haven't paid much attention to Shazier, but watching Mosely I get it (although I'm always hesitant with AL guys b/c they're surrounded by talent). Khalil Mack I was skeptical of until I watched him - I'm not skeptical anymore. The guy's a monster. I'll put Borland on my guys to watch list. He's more likely to be available in a round where I'd be amenable to taking a LB anyway.

I found the answer to my own question so I thought I'd share

This is about as comprehensive of a scout tape as you'll see in 6 minutes. It confirmed a lot of the weaknesses I'd noticed, but it does show his ability to take advantage of slower blockers that I hadn't seen as much of. His lack of power would still worry me at the next level, but I kind of get the hype. He has a nice highlight reel. He has a considerable low-light reel too. Of course, he was a RB who converted to LB so I imagine he's still learning the position.

• 1 month later...

Any chance at all that people might think he could drop to us at 9. He is an absolute beast at OLB which is a huge need of ours. I believe that how far he falls could depend on what the Raiders do at 5. If the Raiders go QB and take what could be the 4th QB off the board at that point then that could leave Clowney to fall to 6 to the Falcons and they will definitely draft him because they need pass rush help also. I do think Barr might not fall past the Bucs at 7 though. If he falls past them he could be ours for the taking

Edited by bufffan031

I believe I did one on sammy watkins right after his bowl game.

I would love that guy.

Not trying to turn this into a Watkins discussion, and I think he is a great talent, but don't read too much into his bowl game performance. He was playing against all backups/3rd string players on OSU's secondary including a true freshman in his first game. And their secondary and LBs were not good even with the starters. Jared Abbrederis had only 20 fewer yards than Watkins when he played OSU, and that was in Columbus against ALL the starting secondary. Edited by YoloinOhio

Most experts / mocks have him going in the late first round now. I haven't seen him projected as a top 10 pick in well over a month now. It's really gone from him possibly dropping to the Bills to if the Bills draft him it would be a reach.

I have seen nearly every one of his games. Barr is the real deal. Keep in mind he only changed over to the D two seasons ago so he's a bit of a work in progress. But he has grown and improved steadily. I believe he will make an immediate impact wherever he winds up playing but he is probably a season or two away from really hitting his stride.

Another kid from UCLA who you might want to keep your eye on is Myles Jack, who just finished his freshman season playing dominantly on both offense and defense.

I'd rather take Mack if he's available over Barr or Mosely. That being said, this team has more of an urgent need to fix the offense. I can see Jim Schwartz advising Marrone..."dude, you really need a megatron type WR on this club".. anyway, I think they go big WR with that first pick.

Most experts / mocks have him going in the late first round now. I haven't seen him projected as a top 10 pick in well over a month now. It's really gone from him possibly dropping to the Bills to if the Bills draft him it would be a reach.

You are talking about Barr, right? I just did a quick search on ESPN.com and NFL.com and the mock drafts from Kiper (ESPN), Daniel Jeremiah (NFL), Bucky Brooks (NFL), and Charles Davis (NFL) all had Barr going in the top 10, and they were all from within the past two weeks. Which mock drafts are you referring to where he's now projected as a late 1st rounder?

I only watched him play 2 games probably so I don't have much of an opinion. All I know is that he is extremely raw at that position and I would be hard-pressed to pass on someone like Mosley - who has all the experience and awareness in the world at the position, in addition to talent - on such a potential project.

I'm still scarred from Maybin, I suppose.

I only watched him play 2 games probably so I don't have much of an opinion. All I know is that he is extremely raw at that position and I would be hard-pressed to pass on someone like Mosley - who has all the experience and awareness in the world at the position, in addition to talent - on such a potential project.

Valid

I'd rather take Mack if he's available over Barr or Mosely. That being said, this team has more of an urgent need to fix the offense. I can see Jim Schwartz advising Marrone..."dude, you really need a megatron type WR on this club".. anyway, I think they go big WR with that first pick.

I too would rather have Mack. I've seen enough from him that shows me he's a real player.

I wouldn't mind having Mosely either.

While Barr is talented, my concern with him would be, that he is a one-year wonder.

Maybe you should watch more than two games because, while Barr is still learning the position, he's far from "extremely raw." And what's with the Maybin comparison?

I too would rather have Mack. I've seen enough from him that shows me he's a real player.

While Barr is talented, my concern with him would be, that he is a one-year wonder.

If Barr is a "wonder," at least give him credit for being what he is, a two-year wonder. As to Mack, I like him too. But the level of competition he played against is no where near what Barr faced.

Maybe you should watch more than two games because, while Barr is still learning the position, he's far from "extremely raw." And what's with the Maybin comparison?

I didn't watched him play much, but that highlight reel above scares me. In the first ten plays he does an outside speed rush on each one. He's listed at 235, which means he's 225-230. That is awfully Maybinesque.

A guy that size needs to be playing LB, so unless he has demonstrated the ability to do that, I'm not interested.

Aaron Maybin 2.0, will get swallowed up at the next level. he needs to add at least 15-20 lbs

I swear to at the 1:20 mark of this video I thought to myself holy Maybin 2.0!

KD in CT hit the nail on the head. The start of that video was entirely comprised of long swooping around the tackle moves. Most of them he didn't even hit the qb or was later than the ball leaving. The 2 sacks he did have were a fumble the qb picked up and a looping come from behind why does the qb still have the ball sack.

Not a fan. This was as bad as the Mike Evans highlight tape where he dropped a few passes at the start of it. I now have 2 prospects talked about at the top half of the first round that I want the Bills to take no part in.