RG III benched

papazoid

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And any team that trades for him is stupid. Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, AJ Feely, RJ, etc. I really have no idea how Cousins got so hyped a year after being drafted in the 4th round. He was pretty decent in college but never once did he seem like a NFL starting QB.

Would you trade for Nick Foles at this point? I'm just curious because he was drafted in teh 4th round of the same draft and has lit it up this year.

If Cousins performs similar, why not give him a try? They both showed us more last year than EJ did before we spent a 1st rounder on him.

RG III has been better this season than EJ & he's the same age. Hasn't EJ also been sacked 7 times twice? What about preserving EJ. & playing Tuel? It would help our draft stock.

If he has it hasn't been by much...I've watched three Washington games and in all three he looked every bit as bad as EJ has against Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh...and he played all last season too

Would you trade for Nick Foles at this point? I'm just curious because he was drafted in teh 4th round of the same draft and has lit it up this year.

If Cousins performs similar, why not give him a try? They both showed us more last year than EJ did before we spent a 1st rounder on him.

Foles was a 3rd pick and played in 7 games as a rookie. He proved way more than Cousins. Overall, I'm not really a fan of trading for Qbs with limited experience. A new qb can surprise teams at first, but once teams get tape on them, it becomes much harder. The trade record of Qbs that are traded and achieving success is very, very small. The only one I can think of is Matt Schaub.

95% of franchise Qbs are obtained through the draft. Rookies Qbs are going to have their ups & downs. 2 games ago, EJ had the best game of his career. Now, he needs to be replaced??? It's kinda nuts. And if the coaching staff that drafted EJ with a 1st round pick decides they need to pick another qb high, that would be a coaching staff I would get rid of it.

The good thing is that Marrone doesn't strike me as a flip flopper & will trust in EJ. The Bills have missed the playoffs 14 years in a row. This is Marrone's and Manuel's first year. For some reason, some folks forget that.

If he has it hasn't been by much...I've watched three Washington games and in all three he looked every bit as bad as EJ has against Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh...and he played all last season too

I don't think RG3 was healthy all year. But he was a borderline too 5 qb last year. He was amazing.

It will be interesting to see what the skins do if cousins lights up the QB friendly Georgia dome. Mid round picks typically have weak arms. If he does well I expect they'll start Grossman outdoors weeks 16 and 17 so as to preserve cousins' trade stock.

They won't do anything...Dan Snyder loves RG III like he is his son and they are very close...there is a zero chance a QB other than RG III is their opening day starter next year barring injury.

Edited by matter2003

guess folks want to ignore he is:

ranked #31st in Total QBR

has a 3 - 10 record

is not very accurate

he needs his legs to heal to be effective.

That's about it. And his rating is boosted by collecting lots of garbage stats this year too.

It's a lot easier to say RG3 should have been rested and healed his leg in hindsight.

Overall, I'm not really a fan of trading for Qbs with limited experience. A new qb can surprise teams at first, but once teams get tape on them, it becomes much harder. The trade record of Qbs that are traded and achieving success is very, very small. The only one I can think of is Matt Schaub.

Steve Young

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Craig Morton

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Rich Gannon

Sometimes it works out.

Steve Young

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Craig Morton

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Rich Gannon

Sometimes it works out.

Aren't all of those examples from 10+ years ago? Also:

Gannon bounced around the NFL on several teams & was a free agent when he signed with the Raiders.

It was pretty much the same thing with Johnson & he signed with TB as a free agent.

Also, Farve and Young are prime examples of why you shouldn't give up on young Qbs too early. Like I said, especially within the last 10 years, the track record of trading for Qbs isn't very good.

Aren't all of those examples from 10+ years ago? Also:

Gannon bounced around the NFL on several teams & was a free agent when he signed with the Raiders.

It was pretty much the same thing with Johnson & he signed with TB as a free agent.

Also, Farve and Young are prime examples of why you shouldn't give up on young Qbs too early. Like I said, especially within the last 10 years, the track record of trading for Qbs isn't very good.

Perhaps the track record isn't good, but I'd trade anything for Foles right now.

Steve Young

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Craig Morton

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Rich Gannon

Sometimes it works out.

More recently Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler (or Josh McCown) and Alex Smith. Say what you will about some of these guys but none of them was drafted by their current teams and all those teams are either in the playoffs or competing for a playoff spot.

With the right pieces in place a team can be successful with a solid vet and with the impatience of Bills fans it's probably the best way to proceed in terms of giving EJ competition instead of drafting another QB.

More recently Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler (or Josh McCown) and Alex Smith. Say what you will about some of these guys but none of them was drafted by their current teams and all those teams are either in the playoffs or competing for a playoff spot.

With the right pieces in place a team can be successful with a solid vet and with the impatience of Bills fans it's probably the best way to proceed in terms of giving EJ competition instead of drafting another QB.

They were all free agents except Cutler and Smith. Brees and Manning only hit the market because of serious injuries. Alex Smith is a career gamemanager who's career high in td passes before this season was 17 and his offense was outgained by 200 yards against the Jeff Tuel led Bills.

But I agree. If Tom Brady gets hurt and the PAts* let him go, let's sign him. :)

This is just the kindof move TBD would love. Season's over. Pull the starter. See what the young guys can do. Sort of an early pre season during regular season. I've seen it suggested here many times as something Coach Marrone should do. Even seen it suggested that Tuel Time should start. Too bad we couldn't hire Shanny.

This is just the kindof move TBD would love. Season's over. Pull the starter. See what the young guys can do. Sort of an early pre season during regular season. I've seen it suggested here many times as something Coach Marrone should do. Even seen it suggested that Tuel Time should start. Too bad we couldn't hire Shanny.

Well RG3 has won the job, so it's a different evaluation from pulling EJ. Still, if EJ sucks for 3 quarters, I wouldn't mind tossing Tuel out there to dominate the 4th.

• 4 weeks later...

Just stopping by this thread to say :P

I told you(whoever) so.

Once again, this trade involved....The Redskins. Drafting 2 QBS involved....the Redskins. Drafting Cousins involved.....get it?

Why anyone doesn't recognize the pattern of behavior there, after 10 years of the same thing, over and over, baffles me.

Perhaps the best thing to do next time? Start off by saying, to yourself, first: "It's the Redskins. Most likely whatever they do is awful, so....It's going to take a lot more than 24/7 ESPN big market, and marketing, hype to get me on board this time. I should have learned this with the Mark Sanchez campaign. That I didn't says more about the effectiveness of marketing, than it does about me. But, that's 2 strikes now. I'm not gonna get fooled again".

:lol: I'm just trying to save posters from themselves. :lol:

Oh...one more thing....what happened to the "Mike Shanahan is not going to let this get out of hand, and, he's going to make it work, in spite of Dan Snyder"?

:lol:

Never underestimate the utility of duct tape, or the propensity for Dany Snyder to screw up a football team in ways you can't even imagine.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Just stopping by this thread to say :P

I told you(whoever) so.

Once again, this trade involved....The Redskins. Drafting 2 QBS involved....the Redskins. Drafting Cousins involved.....get it?

Why anyone doesn't recognize the pattern of behavior there, after 10 years of the same thing, over and over, baffles me.

Perhaps the best thing to do next time? Start off by saying, to yourself, first: "It's the Redskins. Most likely whatever they do is awful, so....It's going to take a lot more than 24/7 ESPN big market, and marketing, hype to get me on board this time. I should have learned this with the Mark Sanchez campaign. That I didn't says more about the effectiveness of marketing, than it does about me. But, that's 2 strikes now. I'm not gonna get fooled again".

:lol: I'm just trying to save posters from themselves. :lol:

Oh...one more thing....what happened to the "Mike Shanahan is not going to let this get out of hand, and, he's going to make it work, in spite of Dan Snyder"?

:lol:

Never underestimate the utility of duct tape, or the propensity for Dany Snyder to screw up a football team in ways you can't even imagine.

I wish the Bills made the playoffs as often as the Skins.