EJ Manuel IS our franchise QB

HSerotte

Generally QBs who can't throw don't just all of a sudden become good throwers

Where is this coming from? Can't throw? You can get drafted first round in the NFL draft after a highly decorated collegiate Career then start as a rookie for a pro football team averaging 200 yds a game without being able to throw?

Can't throw that's awesome

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy and Co never had a guy they drafted that has only played 10 games in the NFL (after missing an entire preseason) and believe has Franchise QB ability, so your argument is moot

Really? They had a guy who was anointed as the franchise QB and signed to a pretty lucrative deal. They also thought that a guy who once opened the season 5-1 would be the one. The Bills' miscalculations on their QBs is the one thing that forced them to absolutely draft a QB early in the weakest QB draft in over a decade.

I didn't say you posting anything before the draft. What I meant was that once the pick was in you were in favor. You neglected to answer the question. Why is it that you can get behind drafting a first round RB when RB was the most stacked position on a very weak team yet you are dead set against competition at the most important position on the football field?

Sorry, I thought I did answer it.

1) You can play multiple rbs. you can't do that with qbs.

2) Lynch was a moron away from a year long suspension after already getting suspended. I know people who bartend around Buffalo, and he was still doing very shady things after his suspension. He was a ticking time bomb. It seems like the trade was his wake up call. good for him. But the same people killing the Bills for trading Lynch would be the same people killing the Bills for keeping him if he got suspended for a year. Hindsight is always 20/20.

3) Spiller was the best offensive player at the time of the draft. A lot of people would be very happy with a running back who averages 5 ypc for his career. Spiller is one of the best weapons in the NFL. He has had a bad year because of injury and adjusting to a new offense. It got called back but there aren't many rbs who can explode like he did on that screen against TB.

4) I want a QB to flat out fail to the point you can't blame the talent around him. Mat Stafford struggled a ton his rookie year and he plays with the best wr in football. Andrew Luck has looked average at best without Wayne. EJ had his best game throwing to TJ Graham and Goodwin against a well coached defense team. If the team adds a guy like Mike Evans and EJ still is struggling, by all means, draft a replacement. and the best part is that replacement will be stepping into a really good situation. Just my opinion.

I agree. Looks like there's at least three of us who wanted the Bills to select SU Orange QB Ryan Nassib.

Let me get this straight...you rail against Russ Brandon for cronyism in hiring Doug Marrone, but you're in favor of drafting Marrone & Hackett's college QB?

That's some serious dichotomy right there.

It would be nice to have certainty one way or the other, but right now, I don't see how anyone can claim to have certainty. Unfortunately it's kind of a worst case scenario, but what you would expect out of a rookie QB. EJ has shown some flashes at times and has been flat out horrible at others. So, it's a wait and see and hope situation.

The reality is that even when you see great things from a QB in his first year, that's absolutely no certainty he's a franchise guy. All you need to do is look at the respective seasonal performances from guys like Robert Griffin and Colin Kaepernick to realize that.

People have got to learn that becoming a franchise QB isn't instantaneous; it's a process. If anyone expected EJ (or anyone else) to come in and light the world on fire from the beginning, then they're expecting too much.

Now I have no issue if the team wants to invest another high pick in a QB to create competition; totally fine. To claim that EJ definitely is or isn't the guy is simply jumping to conclusions. Is it too much to ask to let the kid have a full off-season of NFL preparation and--gasp--even start a season healthy before we either anoint or railroad him?

Where is this coming from? Can't throw? You can get drafted first round in the NFL draft after a highly decorated collegiate Career then start as a rookie for a pro football team averaging 200 yds a game without being able to throw?

Can't throw that's awesome

If you've watched the Bills this whole season and think EJ throws the ball consistently well then you're just clueless. The QBs in this league that are good enough to compete for Super Bowls don't miss the throws he consistently misses at this point.

What is troubling is that when a Qb enters the league, generally he is either able to make the throws or he can't, and they rarely develop the ability if they don't have it. I watched the kid a ton in college and every snap of his NFL career and I don't see it.

If you've watched the Bills this whole season and think EJ throws the ball consistently well then you're just clueless. The QBs in this league that are good enough to compete for Super Bowls don't miss the throws he consistently misses at this point.

What is troubling is that when a Qb enters the league, generally he is either able to make the throws or he can't, and they rarely develop the ability if they don't have it. I watched the kid a ton in college and every snap of his NFL career and I don't see it.

Steve Young disagrees.

Really? They had a guy who was anointed as the franchise QB and signed to a pretty lucrative deal. They also thought that a guy who once opened the season 5-1 would be the one. The Bills' miscalculations on their QBs is the one thing that forced them to absolutely draft a QB early in the weakest QB draft in over a decade.

Fitz was signed to essentially a one year deal - it was a smart move at the time by an org (scouts and coaching staff) that thought they had the qb for the system, while allowing themselves an out if he wasn't the guy (which he wasn't) - they never thought he was their franchise QB lol - if he panned out in the system under gailey then they kept him around, and if he failed than they just dropped him

Fitz was signed to essentially a one year deal - it was a smart move at the time by an org (scouts and coaching staff) that thought they had the qb for the system, while allowing themselves an out if he wasn't the guy (which he wasn't) - they never thought he was their franchise QB lol - if he panned out in the system under gailey then they kept him around, and if he failed than they just dropped him

Fitz hardly got big starting QB money too. I think it was like $7 or $8 million. Flacco makes more than double that.

This was the line sold by Buddy & Co, and what caused Bills to elect not to draft Dalton, Kaepernick & Wilson.

it is interesting that when a team finally gets a real top tier franchise guy, everyone else on the team suddenly becomes respectable in terms of play. Great example is New Orleans. Every new weapon they add to that team looks like an embarrassment of riches. Now, swap Case Keenum and Drew Brees......suddenly Houston would shine with the talent they have (which is a bunch) and New Orleans would become below average. QB has and always will be the lynch pin of an NFL team. Find one or languish in mediocrity.

I just find it amazing how fickle the majority of the fan base is.......

Did you really expect taking a rookie qb with a 1st year head coach....rookie OC.......was going to not be a roller coaster ride this year....

HE IS A ROOKIE

There is no time table for a rookie QB progression....i WILL however tell you this

- When OL dont block......your rookie QB is gonna suffer

- When the running game isnt working....your rookie QB is gonna suffer

- When your WR's drop balls that hit them in the hands....or worse yet pop them in the air for INT's......YOUR ROOKIE QB IS GONNA SUFFER

- When you get down by multiple scores.....your rookie QB is gonna throw picks trying to get back into it

People need to stop this @hit of acting like they know that EJ Manuel is a bust based on this limited amount of work.....in the middle of two injuries that have kept him out.....you have no friggen idea how he is going to turn out so stop acting like you have a clue....you dont

Wanna draft a QB in the 3rd round next year to hedge your bet? Im down with that....we can always use another good QB on the team

But we need to see what we have with THIS qb....and in order to do that we need quality players around him

- His Tight End is unathletic.....wont fight for a ball in traffic....and a stiff wind knocks him down after he catches the ball

- His number 1 receiver makes horrible mistakes at the worst possible times.....and pouts when he doesnt get the ball

- His 2nd WR looks like he shouldnt even be on the field in TJ Graham

- His other targets are rookies....all of which have missed time to injuries

- His running game (which is suppose to be our strength....isnt getting first downs and controlling the clock

- We are constantly losing the field position battle

Then on top of all THOSE things......you have a rookie QB who needs to be developed.....has footwork issues that need to be corrected....and is playing like the rookie he is with his constancy

Does this mean you move away from him and draft another rookie QB...DONT BE RIDICULOUS

Look.....I know its been over a decade of know playoffs....I know its frustrating...Im frustrated too.....but they did the right thing this year with their draft in taking a QB with a lot of potential.....won in college.....and showed the ability to do everything asked for....now you have to groom him. Be patient a little longer.

The Niners were waiting for Steve Young to develop so they were forced to play Joe Montana???? Please clarify. Everyone knew Steve Young had the ability to be a starter and the Niners paid him starter $ to be a back up. He was far from a developmental project.

He was on Tampa Bay before the 49ers and struggled to complete 55% of his passes.

I love your outlook. I would like to believe Manuel is our franchise guy. I would like to think that his on again off again performance is just a symptom of a rookie that is learning the ropes. I hold out all hope that over time he develops into a "Kelly" like leader. That said I think the Bills would be best served to have a solid number two behind Manuel. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.

I'm like many people here. I support EJ but haven't really seen anything from him to WOW me yet. I can handle poor efforts like Pittsburgh and Tampa once in a while as long as he occassionally throws a 300 yd 3 TD game in there like other QB's seem to do.

I'm concerned but still want to see what he can do in these last 3 games. I don't care what the O-line looks like or who his receivers are. Have some pocket presence and put the ball on those guys. That's all we can ask. If they drop the ball or deflect it so be it. If he can't do anything on the road then the Bills need to look into bringing in a QB in the offseason to compete with him. Jason Campbell just threw for a bunch of yards at New England. He should be able to light up the Jags and Pats if he has any promise.