Trade a 4th or 5th round pick for Matt Schaub

Big Turk

Schaub has been bad in Houston this year, and could be had for not much, maybe a 4th or 5th round pick.

I consider this year an abberation as he had posted 5 straight 90+ QB Rating seasons prior to this year and led the league in pass yards one of those with almost 4800 yards.

He would be several steps up from EJ Manuel at this point and would instantly do AT LEAST as much as Carson Palmer did for the Cardinals this year, which is make them a potential playoff team, especially with the D we have now...

Screw the idea of "we have to have our guy at QB" all new GMs have and get a guy who can help us win NOW!! This team is good enough to win NOW without a QB hindering our games...

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schaub has been bad in Houston this year, and could be had for not much, maybe a 4th or 5th round pick.

I consider this year an abberation as he had posted 5 straight 90+ QB Rating seasons prior to this year and led the league in pass yards one of those with almost 4800 yards.

He would be several steps up from EJ Manuel at this point and would instantly do AT LEAST as much as Carson Palmer did for the Cardinals this year, which is make them a potential playoff team, especially with the D we have now...

Screw the idea of "we have to have our guy at QB" all new GMs have and get a guy who can help us win NOW!! This team is good enough to win NOW without a QB hindering our games...

Schaub will be released by the Texans in the offseason. There will be no need for any compensation.

Wonderful get rid of a bad EJ for a Pick 6 machine in Schaub...

its a pretty small sample of his career that went off the rails --- heck, hes 62+% completions, 250 yards, 1 td and 1 int a game this season

im not saying i want him starting but as a backup qb hes still a viable option. he will likely go to one of the teams with no qb pre-draft and hope they dont get a replacement though.

its a pretty small sample of his career that went off the rails --- heck, hes 62+% completions, 250 yards, 1 td and 1 int a game this season

im not saying i want him starting but as a backup qb hes still a viable option. he will likely go to one of the teams with no qb pre-draft and hope they dont get a replacement though.

He miles ahead of Manuel right now and better than Palmer, who has the Cardinals on the brink of the playoffs.

IMHO if we had Schaub we would be in the drivers seat for the last wilcard and possibly challenging for the division

Schaub, in many ways, is like Ryan Fitzpatrick, but on a better team... IMO, Schaub has been the thing that has held the Texans back over the years, from making that next step... he can put up numbers (or he could, who knows what is up with him now?), and yeah, might be a decent back-up for somebody..but unless you are pretty much admitting that Manuel is not your guy (some fans may be at that point, but I don't think the Bills are), Schaub may not be the best guy for that job. And, honeslty, if Schaub is content with being a back-up, I think he would target a team in better shape than the Bills...

matter2003, If you truly believe that this year is as you say an aberration because he has posted 5 straight 90+ QB Rating seasons prior to this year and led the league in pass yards one of those with almost 4800 yards, how can you believe that we would be able to get him for a 4th and 5th round picks? Please explain.

By the way, I find it very doubtful that he gets his outright release either as 26CornerBlitz has commented. As matter2003 stated in, he has posted QB Ratings of 90+ 5 straight times. He's a very good QB who lost a supporting cast of players including their defense.

BigPappy

Schaub will be released by the Texans in the offseason. There will be no need for any compensation.

However, there will he competition for him. If we could secure him with a low to mid round pick with a cap friendly contract it would say a lot for the Bills. The answer at QB is far from settled.

matter2003, If you truly believe that this year is as you say an aberration because he has posted 5 straight 90+ QB Rating seasons prior to this year and led the league in pass yards one of those with almost 4800 yards, how can you believe that we would be able to get him for a 4th and 5th round picks? Please explain.

By the way, I find it very doubtful that he gets his outright release either as 26CornerBlitz has commented. As matter2003 stated in, he has posted QB Ratings of 90+ 5 straight times. He's a very good QB who lost a supporting cast of players including their defense.

BigPappy

He's fallen out of favor in Houston, with Kubiak partially getting fired because he was planning on sitting Keenum and starting Schaub, plus Houston is likely drafting a QB

great idea. we´d be assured to pick 6th

Sure just like Palmer has caused Arizona to draft 6th this year...

However with Manuel we have a very real chance of drafting 6th...

Schaub, in many ways, is like Ryan Fitzpatrick, but on a better team... IMO, Schaub has been the thing that has held the Texans back over the years, from making that next step... he can put up numbers (or he could, who knows what is up with him now?), and yeah, might be a decent back-up for somebody..but unless you are pretty much admitting that Manuel is not your guy (some fans may be at that point, but I don't think the Bills are), Schaub may not be the best guy for that job. And, honeslty, if Schaub is content with being a back-up, I think he would target a team in better shape than the Bills...

Fitzpatrick's arm doesn't even come close to Schaub's. If anything, Schaub reminds of Drew Bledsoe, albeit with a much less lengthy resume and a little less lively arm.

If the Bills had Schaub this year, they would most likely still be in the playoff hunt. The entire Texans organization has been a mess this year, and it seemed like every game Kubiak would start one QB and then yank them out halfway through the game. Essentially, Schaub was benched for a rough 3 game stretch where he faced Seattle and the 49ers, who are the two best pass defenses in the NFL (if you go by opposing QB rating - 69.4 and 73.3 respectively). So, what about the games before that? Two wins and one loss. During which Schaub averaged 279 yards per game, 6 TDs and 4 INTs.

Now, in regards to EJ, I don't think he should have even started this year. Sure, some QBs are ready right out of college, but 0 analysts projected EJ to be that type of guy. Almost everyone had him pegged for what he is, and that is a raw prospect with amazing potential. I think it would serve him well to sit behind a player like Schaub for a year or two, and he really needs to have a veteran QB to learn from.

Think about it - who's brain can EJ pick right now? He doesn't have a QB coach (Hackett has assumed that role), Kevin Kolb may end up brain dead with one more ill-placed mat, and Thad Lewis is only in his 2nd year.

He miles ahead of Manuel right now and better than Palmer, who has the Cardinals on the brink of the playoffs.

IMHO if we had Schaub we would be in the drivers seat for the last wilcard and possibly challenging for the division

Holy cow---what?!

People are in full crazy today

Fitzpatrick's arm doesn't even come close to Schaub's. If anything, Schaub reminds of Drew Bledsoe, albeit with a much less lengthy resume and a little less lively arm.

If the Bills had Schaub this year, they would most likely still be in the playoff hunt. The entire Texans organization has been a mess this year, and it seemed like every game Kubiak would start one QB and then yank them out halfway through the game. Essentially, Schaub was benched for a rough 3 game stretch where he faced Seattle and the 49ers, who are the two best pass defenses in the NFL (if you go by opposing QB rating - 69.4 and 73.3 respectively). So, what about the games before that? Two wins and one loss. During which Schaub averaged 279 yards per game, 6 TDs and 4 INTs.

Now, in regards to EJ, I don't think he should have even started this year. Sure, some QBs are ready right out of college, but 0 analysts projected EJ to be that type of guy. Almost everyone had him pegged for what he is, and that is a raw prospect with amazing potential. I think it would serve him well to sit behind a player like Schaub for a year or two, and he really needs to have a veteran QB to learn from.

Think about it - who's brain can EJ pick right now? He doesn't have a QB coach (Hackett has assumed that role), Kevin Kolb may end up brain dead with one more ill-placed mat, and Thad Lewis is only in his 2nd year.

Should have clarified the Fitzpatrick commnet...perhaps Bledsoe is a better comparison (though I think that underrates Bledsoe in his prime). I don't mean that they have the same skill set, necessarily, but that. as the cliche goes, they can do some things well, but they do just don't win games...

Many Texans fans (I live amongst them), have viewed Schaub as being amongst the teams greatest weaknesses for a couple of years now...he finally starting imploding for all the world to see this season...I think fantasy football tends to skewer how we see a lot of these guys...fantasy and reality, in these cases, are not always the same. When Schaub was going well, he had a really good o-line, a great running game, and an elite wide receiver, not to mention an elite defense for a few years there...put him on the Bills and I don't think you see the same kind of numbers as you saw in Houston, before this season...

Edited by Buftex

Holy cow---what?!

People are in full crazy today

Do you really not believe that Schaub is better than EJ at this point in their careers? If the Bills had Schaub, they would of had a good chance to win the New England game, the Cleveland game, the Cinci game, the Kansas City game, and the Atlanta game. Now, while the Bills could have won all of those games with Schaub, I'll concede that maybe one or two could be argued against. So, at best, the Bills could be 9-4 with Schaub, and at worst, they would most likely be 7-6.

As I said in my post above, Schaub was benched for a rough 3 game stretch where he faced Seattle and the 49ers, who are the two best pass defenses in the NFL (if you go by opposing QB rating - 69.4 and 73.3 respectively). So, what about the games before that? Two wins and one loss. During which Schaub averaged 279 yards per game, 6 TDs and 4 INTs. Not to mention, Schaub has a proven track record better than any Bills QB since Drew Bledsoe.

Should have clarified the Fitzpatrick commnet...perhaps Bledsoe is a better comparison (though I think that underrates Bledsoe in his prime). I don't mean that they have the same skill set, necessarily, but that. as the cliche goes, they can do some things well, but they do just don't win games...

Many Texans fans (I live amongst them), have viewed Schaub as being amongst the teams greatest weaknesses for a couple of years now...he finally starting imploding for all the world to see this season...I think fantasy football tends to skewer how we see a lot of these guys...fantasy and reality, in these cases, are not always the same. When Schaub was going well, he had a really good o-line, a great running game, and an elite wide receiver, not to mention an elite defense for a few years there...put him on the Bills and I don't think you see the same kind of numbers as you saw in Houston, before this season...

Great post. Bledsoe is an apt comparison.... and once again, stats are for losers. Any savvy fan who has actually watched him play instead of reading his fantasy numbers would want no part of him.