If you were a Jets fan/arm chair GM would you...

FireChan

As the topic title suggests, imagine you are a Jets fan and enough of a die-hard that you go on message boards to discuss players, FA, drafts etc.

Would you give up on Geno Smith after this season? As in, would you want a first round QB next season?

I'm not trying to make this a Geno/EJ debate thread, but I think it'd be interesting to get a pulse on the "it's just his rookie year give him time" camp and how far that feeling goes.

Edited by FireChan

The first part of the season it seemed like they gave Geno free reign and let him make mistakes and figure it out as he went. I was kind of jealous because even though he was getting sacked a lot and throwing a lot of picks, at least he was learning and figuring out what to do and what not to do. He was making mistakes but he was also making big plays. Meanwhile we were playing it safe with EJ and I felt like he was holding back and afraid to make a mistake so what we ended up with was a game manager that just kept checking down instead of taking shots down the field.

Now fast forward to the end of the season and it looks like the Jets are trying to reel Geno in and trying to limit his mistakes and meanwhile they are handcuffing him and not letting him do what he does best which is make big plays. They took a Mark Sanchez approach once they saw they had a shot at the playoffs and tried to run the ball and only throw when necessary and that has clearly hurt Geno's development to the point where he's so scared to make a mistake that it's dibhilitating his progress. He has regressed so much that it's not even like the same player anymore. Meanwhile EJ is getting more and more confidence it seems. We have seen a lot more of the deep ball and him scrambling and looking to make plays.

Confidence is a big part of playing the QB position. If you are scared to make a mistake then you aren't going to be successful and the guys around you aren't going to trust you to win for them. The biggest difference between Geno and EJ right now seems to be confidence. What we should hope for in these final games is that EJ gains more and more of it and continues to improve each week. For Geno, I don't know if it's the media or the coaches mis-managing him or a combination, but he has zero confidence in what he is doing and he's in trouble. He needs to show something these last few games or I think the coaches and fans will be ready to move on

I have very much enjoyed watching the Jets games in recent weeks. In fact I can't wait for them to get the ball back, preferably close to their own goal line. Then sit back and enjoy Geno. Great stuff. Great call by Buddy not to draft the "best QB of the class". If I was the Jets GM for the day I might trade a few of their defensive stand outs (eg Richardson) to the Bills in exchange for TJ Graham to provide more help for Geno.

Not to be a d@ck but, Isn't this a Buffalo Bills Forum and not a Jets Forum. Who cares about Geno Smith and his current status as a Jet or his confidence level. Lets focus on what OUR team needs to do to get better. F!@k Geno Smith and the Jets! We haven't made it to the Playoffs in 14 freak'en years, and it really pisses me off.

JMO

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

As a Bills fan I hope they trot Geno up next year. He is awful and is making Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert look like steals.

As a GM in that scenario you have to ask "Do I trust him to work harder than anyone in the offseason and turn it around?"

Based on all the reports that came out after the draft about Geno and his character and work ethic (or lack thereof), I would cut my losses and take someone high.

My take is, the Jets are asking Geno to do to much, just like the Bills are with EJ. The difference is, that to his credit EJ isn't trying to force the ball, and try to magically make things happen like Geno has done all year. 20+ turnovers 19 INT's, 8 TD's, 8 fumbles 3 rec = 24 turnovers. yikes!

What got the Jets to the playoffs 2009-2010 was that they were a dominate run first team and played great defense. They let RB Thomas Jones leave and the Jets run game hasn't been quite the same. They had a lot of first round picks on offense back then, and let some walk away.

For whatever reason in 2011 the Jets decided they suddenly need to throw more to win, and thus put more pressure on QB Mark Sanchez. They changed the OC in 2012, and again in 2013 and it made things worse.

I for one am glad they have their heads up their backsides, and big mouth Rex forgot what got him to the playoffs :lol:

I think they are in a similar place as the Bills are with EJ, except that Geno is playing a bit worse. Neither has really earned "unquestioned starter" status yet. So if either team seems a possible "sure bet" at QB in the draft, it'd be smart to draft them and have an open competition come training camp/pre-season.

As the topic title suggests, imagine you are a Jets fan and enough of a die-hard that you go on message boards to discuss players, FA, drafts etc.

Would you give up on Geno Smith after this season? As in, would you want a first round QB next season?

I'm not trying to make this a Geno/EJ debate thread, but I think it'd be interesting to get a pulse on the "it's just his rookie year give him time" camp and how far that feeling goes.

Sir, this is not a slam on you or anything, but my take on this is that we have enough issues here with our team. Also, the Jets get far too much preference in the media as it is. NFL Network, for instance, is IN LOVE with that team! Same goes w/ Mike Greenberg on Mike & Mike radio show.

Sir, this is not a slam on you or anything, but my take on this is that we have enough issues here with our team. Also, the Jets get far too much preference in the media as it is. NFL Network, for instance, is IN LOVE with that team! Same goes w/ Mike Greenberg on Mike & Mike radio show.

So the Houston security guards topic is ok, but this one is a no-no?

I would get Geno some help at TE, Wr and Rb, the Jets have probably the worst talent at those positions as any team in the league.

Yup. They don't have a single good skill position player on the team. As a result they are finally playing like everyone expected at the start of the season. It's amazing Ryan held them together for 3 months.

absolutely...until you have a Franchise QB (top 10) , you have nothing. (Sanchez isn't top 50 and Geno isn't top 30).