Ralph Wilson: At 95 years old, is he the oldest owner in NFL history?

I have scoured the 'net for a former NFL owner older than Ralph Wilson, names such as Wellington Mara, Art Rooney, George Halas, Bud Adams, but no dice so far.

Anyone have an idea? I find it fascinating after being reminded yesterday with all the Bon Jovi talk.

It's 'cause of estate taxes. Ralph is too cheap to die.

Lol, good one, not too bad a payoff after a $35,000 investment. Hell from that to a team worth almost a Billion. And it only took 50+ years! not bad.

I heard recently that in the early days of the AFL he secretly(and illegally) invested $500,000 into the Raiders to keep them afloat as the fledgling league couldn't afford to have any teams go under. My point being that he had to work at his investment for it to pay off.

I have scoured the 'net for a former NFL owner older than Ralph Wilson, names such as Wellington Mara, Art Rooney, George Halas, Bud Adams, but no dice so far.

Anyone have an idea? I find it fascinating after being reminded yesterday with all the Bon Jovi talk.

He is probably the OLDEST OWNER of any Business! Period.

I heard recently that in the early days of the AFL he secretly(and illegally) invested $500,000 into the Raiders to keep them afloat as the fledgling league couldn't afford to have any teams go under. My point being that he had to work at his investment for it to pay off.

It's an old story and well known. Also true...not sure the exact amount but the Raiders were about to go under and Ralph realized league could too so he helped finance the Raiders to keep the league alive.

It's an old story and well known. Also true...not sure the exact amount but the Raiders were about to go under and Ralph realized league could too so he helped finance the Raiders to keep the league alive.

The Raiders story is true. But it's also whispered that Ralph traded Darrel Lamonica to the Raiders to shore up his investment.

PTR

The Raiders story is true. But it's also whispered that Ralph traded Darrel Lamonica to the Raiders to shore up his investment.

PTR

In fifty years this is the first time I've heard this one. I recall that Ralph was angry with Al Davis for decades for trading an over the hill (Art Powell ), and an injured player (Tom Flores) for Lamonica. The story was that Ralph had bailed out the Raiders and then they cheated him.

The $400k loan would have been to the original owner not Davis. I wonder if it had been paid back by the time that trade happened?

That trade happened in 1967, after the merger. It seams to me it would have had to have been paid back.