Family Guy : RIP Brian

Just Jack

I think this is part of a multi-episode story. I could swear I saw clips in the commercials for the episode that were not part of the episode last night and from what I can tell, Stewie rebuilds the time machine and goes back to before Brian dies. I remember seeing a clip where Stewie has to manually change the date using a broken looking time machine, and a part in Stewies room where he and Brian come out of the Time Machine and Stewies holding womans underwear and says to brian "I'm not going to ask"

This show fell on its face this season. I watched it every night on adult swim and loved the return. Until this year I was enjoying it. Then they had the opener with that mini Peter and that was by far one of the worst shows I have ever experienced. Every show this year of Family Guy has been stale and lacking the humor that once set it apart. There isn't anymore of that 5 second set up, delivery then punch line that could draw at least a chuckle.

This just made me annoyed that they have run out of story lines and ideas. I have watched the Simpsons every Sunday since it started and have never felt this under enthused. That's saying a lot because this season is really stretching it. They're bringing in all these C and D rate characters to match up with the Tapped Out game. I've never seen Luigi and Krusty and all of these people in the same episode and now they're being used to carry the show. It's annoying. I miss when Maggie shot people.

But, back on topic. Family Guy never had the same weight the Simpsons did. You never developed a bond with the characters because they changed so quickly. This is a great example:

family-guy-then-and-now.gif

Now, they're just alling short. What the hell is Vinny going to be and how can Brian reclaim his glory?

I would rather they bring Futurama and King of the Hill back.

This show fell on its face this season. I watched it every night on adult swim and loved the return. Until this year I was enjoying it. Then they had the opener with that mini Peter and that was by far one of the worst shows I have ever experienced. Every show this year of Family Guy has been stale and lacking the humor that once set it apart. There isn't anymore of that 5 second set up, delivery then punch line that could draw at least a chuckle.

This just made me annoyed that they have run out of story lines and ideas. I have watched the Simpsons every Sunday since it started and have never felt this under enthused. That's saying a lot because this season is really stretching it. They're bringing in all these C and D rate characters to match up with the Tapped Out game. I've never seen Luigi and Krusty and all of these people in the same episode and now they're being used to carry the show. It's annoying. I miss when Maggie shot people.

But, back on topic. Family Guy never had the same weight the Simpsons did. You never developed a bond with the characters because they changed so quickly. This is a great example:

Now, they're just alling short. What the hell is Vinny going to be and how can Brian reclaim his glory?

I agree with bringing King of The Hill back, I loved that one

But as for the Simpsons, that show has been unwatchable for probably the last 5-10 years, I would rather watch reruns of this seasons Family Guy (which i agree, seems to have lost a step) then any of the last 5-10 years of the Simpsons.

As for the graphic you show, you could do that with alot of shows by taking their first season or even the pilot episode and then looking at the characters after 5-10 years and find that they have all changed as the show went on.

Nailed it.

I liked the show when it first came out, but I hadn't for several seasons when my wife and eye watched an episode from around 2010. That **** was God awful. We both kept looking at each other in disgust - horrified, not because the content was offensive, but because we couldn't believe anyone would find it even mildly amusing, much less distribute it for the entertainment of others.

I wondered if the show had just gone all to hell, or if it always sucked and I was just too stoned to notice back then, so I pulled up the first season on Netflix. Sure enough, it was funny. Most shows fall off after a few seasons, but this one went over the cliff and took a dive. I've seen a few other episodes since that one and I can't figure how this garbage is still on the air.

Edited by Rob's House

Nailed it.

I liked the show when it first came out, but I hadn't for several seasons when my wife and eye watched an episode from around 2010. That **** was God awful. We both kept looking at each other in disgust - horrified, not because the content was offensive, but because we couldn't believe anyone would find it even mildly amusing, much less distribute it for the entertainment of others.

I wondered if the show had just gone all to hell, or if it always sucked and I was just too stoned to notice back then, so I pulled up the first season on Netflix. Sure enough, it was funny. Most shows fall off after a few seasons, but this one went over the cliff and took a dive. I've seen a few other episodes since that one and I can't figure how this garbage is still on the air.

the sad part is they are doing a double show where the Griffins visit Springfield in 2014. It will have the Simpsons and Griffins together.

Nailed it.

The beauty of Netflix. I haven't watched any of these shows on the networks. I'll start at the beginning on Netflix and tire of the show before is starts to suck.

The beauty of Netflix. I haven't watched any of these shows on the networks. I'll start at the beginning on Netflix and tire of the show before is starts to suck.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the shows you grew tired of and which are the ones you have not or did not grow tired of?

Out of curiosity, what are some of the shows you grew tired of and which are the ones you have not or did not grow tired of?

I have not grown tired of anything I grew up with.

I really haven't watched too many shows in the past couple of decades but I grew tired of The Simpsons, Arrested Development (why did they bring that show back, the fourth season absolutely sucked). But it's more of shows that I heard sucked after certain seasons that I've avoided.

But it's more of shows that I heard sucked after certain seasons that I've avoided.

This happened to me with dexter. I started watching it and enjoyed it immensely. The problem was that I started it this summer as it was ending. Everyone trashed then ending and now I don't even want to invest the time.

As to Rob and jboyst's point....

I think a lot I the tanking in quality had to do with mcfarlane having so many shows out. Between Cleveland show, family guy, and American dad - that is a lot of content to come up with weekly. Thus the quality was watered down and subpar.

It is strange but American dad was my least favorite when it premiered and now is my favorite out of the group. More of a tallest midget than anything else as they sit on my dvr forever but still my favorite out of the group.

Edited by section122

This happened to me with dexter. I started watching it and enjoyed it immensely. The problem was that I started it this summer as it was ending. Everyone trashed then ending and now I don't even want to invest the time.

As to Rob and jboyst's point....

I think a lot I the tanking in quality had to do with mcfarlane having so many shows out. Between Cleveland show, family guy, and American dad - that is a lot of content to come up with weekly. Thus the quality was watered down and subpar.

It is strange but American dad was my least favorite when it premiered and now is my favorite out of the group. More of a tallest midget than anything else as they sit on my dvr forever but still my favorite out of the group.

I would agree, if Cleveland's show was ever good and didn't suck balls, if the Family Guy didn't fall off a cliff then rip its face off and lose all humor all while American Dad has stayed the same making solid jokes and a good show.

Francine is now much of a better comedy piece then Louis. Steve blows Chris away. Stan combines Peter and Brian and usually beats them both. Hayley is a different twist then Brian and wins. Jeff out does Meg in every way by simply being a part of the routine not some piece for fodder and easy punchlines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is old news but I was on "vacation" for a month and I'm slowly getting back in the swing. But as I mentioned one of my staff's parents work for the show. Most of you know we do financial planning and life insurance is part of that. He's young and new in the business and wants to network with animators. He was invited to their Christmas party so I told him he should break he ice by asking "hey, I wonder if Brian had life insurance?" He came back and I asked did he use that line. He said "yeah, I asked Seth" Holy ****. I asked what Seth said. "He said he laughed but looked like he was tired of people asking about Brian. But he said Seth told him not to worry, Brian's coming back" Good stuff.

I've never seen a single episode of this show. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen more than three seconds of an episode of this show.

Well then to you this will mean nothing. To the others....enjoy. Oh and some bits may be NSFW. Unless of course you work where I do.