The Rebuilding Year Progress Thread

KikO M G

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three keys to emerging from rebuilding if that is the mode you believe the Bills are in this year:

- The most critical is that EJ needs to keep trending and performing as he is "the guy." If he can string together some wins at the end of this season the Bills may be on the way.

- The Bills really need a solid draft and smart FA period in 2014. If EJ plays well the remainder of the season (a big if) they will have the opportunity for the first time in a long time to focus on BPA's against their needs. First round is BPA in any position other than QB or RB with a CB or LB being a likely pick. I think RD 2 is a big WR if one is available. I believe they will look at LG in 3rd or 4th round unless some FA pickup makes sense. Other than that your guess is better than mine.

- The final one is that the Bills need to coach to avoid the sophomore slump. players Like EJ, Woods and Alonso need to improve in their second years.

The Bills could be a vey good team if EJ is the guy.

that's not my point at all. I just prefer to not think of it as rebuilding. We stink. We have stunk, and the only thing to change that is to stop stinking. I'm not faulting anyone. I liked parts that we had along the way.

Last year and the year before that and the year before that and on and on, the Bills stunk. I don't think they stink now. The defense is a few players away from being very good and have been fun to watch. The offense needs better coaching, better play calling, an o lineman or two, but they are much better at skill positions. They remind me of the 87 team.

Last year and the year before that and the year before that and on and on, the Bills stunk. I don't think they stink now. The defense is a few players away from being very good and have been fun to watch. The offense needs better coaching, better play calling, an o lineman or two, but they are much better at skill positions. They remind me of the 87 team.

the defense has been a breath of fresh air, and very fun to watch. We are sitting at 4 wins, and are showing signs of life. I am optimistic about it.

All that being said its not the first time I felt this way about our team in the last 13 years.

Edited by JaxBills

I didn't think this was a rebuilding team this year. They had talent set in many spots. It's that people got caught up with "changes" in the staff and Marrone's babble.

On defense, they lacked any sort of MLB, a pass rusher beside Mario, and CB2 was arguable. Kiko was a great pick, the secondary performed amazingly well (except when depth got so bad that Justin Rogers had to play), the pass rusher still needs to be found. And they've got a great mind with Pettine, please stay here.

Offense was set besides the QB and WR depth. Jury remains out on EJ, which is obviously the most important thing. Woods and Goodwin at least appear to be useful deserving roster players, which is an upgrade. Countered by completely ignoring the LG position and Kraig Urbik's play has really dropped this year, along with Erik Pears being done. OL has become more of an issue.

The offensive line has been schizophrenic. They are giving EJ lots of time but the run blocking seems to have suffered. I think that CJ has yet to prove that he can find holes & hit them when they are there. His success last year came mostly in spread formations. I have my reservations about him more than about the OL.. Oh well, the staff has access to all the film & I trust that they will see what is needed at draft time.

There are three keys to emerging from rebuilding if that is the mode you believe the Bills are in this year:

- The most critical is that EJ needs to keep trending and performing as he is "the guy." If he can string together some wins at the end of this season the Bills may be on the way.

- The Bills really need a solid draft and smart FA period in 2014. If EJ plays well the remainder of the season (a big if) they will have the opportunity for the first time in a long time to focus on BPA's against their needs. First round is BPA in any position other than QB or RB with a CB or LB being a likely pick. I think RD 2 is a big WR if one is available. I believe they will look at LG in 3rd or 4th round unless some FA pickup makes sense. Other than that your guess is better than mine.

- The final one is that the Bills need to coach to avoid the sophomore slump. players Like EJ, Woods and Alonso need to improve in their second years.

The Bills could be a vey good team if EJ is the guy.

You forgot TE.

There are lots of small school basketball players that are 6'4"/245 with good hands. Find the ones who played HS football & give them a shot in the day after draft signings. It seems like the basketball players are taking over that position lately.

so far so good, i think. like you said, 7 wins would be headed the right direction, and a reasonable expectation. its definitely not a linear process but generally i think things are trending the right way with some highs and lows mixed in.

Remember, the Bills won 7 games in '06, which was Jauron's first season. Unfortunately, they didn't answer the QB question and defensively improvements didn't materialize thereafter.

These final 5 games will say a lot about where the "new" look Bills are heading. They have to show the potential to get better, or they'll remain a 6-8 win team. Manuel progressing goes a long way to surpassing where the Bills have been for the past 9 seasons, which was a 4-7 win franchise.

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a rebuilding year. You would have a hard time convincing anyone that in a year where you draft your quarterback of the future and are starting a brand new coaching staff, that you don't expect to have some growing pains. They have had some of that for sure, but I have optimism that the franchise is heading in the right direction. Here's my take on needs for next year:

Offense - EJ looked pretty solid last game in going down field and hitting receivers in stride. Earlier in the season, he seemed to get a little rattled after contact and seemed to have the tendency to dump the ball off very shortly after the snap. Provided that he takes his chances, I like where the kid is going. Clearly, he was the better choice than Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. I like the youth at wide receiver. Add in the veteran in Stevie Johnson and they have 3 guys that can make plays. I don't believe that wide receiver should be a priority. Besides Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood, I'm not enamored with the offensive line. While they do a pretty good job in the passing game, they just don't seem to be able to make holes for Spiller and Jackson. I would prefer that they look to free agency for help on the line, but would be fine if they addressed it in the draft.

Defense - Who's leading the league in sacks right now? Your Buffalo Bills. In fact, they're on pace to break a franchise record for sacks in a season. They're much better getting after quarterbacks this year than last. I chalk that up to solid coaching and a finally healthy Williams and trouble free Dareus. They're also leading the league in interceptions. I very much like the combination of McKelvin and Gilmore. Never thought I would say that about Leodis, but he's turned into a solid cornerback. Re-signing Byrd must be a priority. He cannot walk or be traded or this defense will take a huge step back. Manny Lawson has been solid as a pass rusher, but they're still getting gashed in the running game. Alonso is a stud no doubt, but I think they could use significant help at linebacker.

Overall, I see the single biggest challenge for this team as being the lack of a running game. Playing at the Ralph in December will require them to move the chains on the ground. If I were running the show, I would be looking to draft some maulers in the early rounds.

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a rebuilding year. You would have a hard time convincing anyone that in a year where you draft your quarterback of the future and are starting a brand new coaching staff, that you don't expect to have some growing pains. They have had some of that for sure, but I have optimism that the franchise is heading in the right direction. Here's my take on needs for next year:

Offense - EJ looked pretty solid last game in going down field and hitting receivers in stride. Earlier in the season, he seemed to get a little rattled after contact and seemed to have the tendency to dump the ball off very shortly after the snap. Provided that he takes his chances, I like where the kid is going. Clearly, he was the better choice than Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. I like the youth at wide receiver. Add in the veteran in Stevie Johnson and they have 3 guys that can make plays. I don't believe that wide receiver should be a priority. Besides Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood, I'm not enamored with the offensive line. While they do a pretty good job in the passing game, they just don't seem to be able to make holes for Spiller and Jackson. I would prefer that they look to free agency for help on the line, but would be fine if they addressed it in the draft.

Defense - Who's leading the league in sacks right now? Your Buffalo Bills. In fact, they're on pace to break a franchise record for sacks in a season. They're much better getting after quarterbacks this year than last. I chalk that up to solid coaching and a finally healthy Williams and trouble free Dareus. They're also leading the league in interceptions. I very much like the combination of McKelvin and Gilmore. Never thought I would say that about Leodis, but he's turned into a solid cornerback. Re-signing Byrd must be a priority. He cannot walk or be traded or this defense will take a huge step back. Manny Lawson has been solid as a pass rusher, but they're still getting gashed in the running game. Alonso is a stud no doubt, but I think they could use significant help at linebacker.

Overall, I see the single biggest challenge for this team as being the lack of a running game. Playing at the Ralph in December will require them to move the chains on the ground. If I were running the show, I would be looking to draft some maulers in the early rounds.

The team with the worst record in the league has made the playoffs the following year...assuming 9 wins gets KC in :lol:.....in each of the past two seasons...so I gotta' call BS on your premise.

Both of those teams had new coaches and QB's....one of them was a rookie. And the rookie lead Redskins made the playoffs last year too. Oh, and the rookie QB'd Seahawks were narrowly defeated in the divisional round and first year QB'd Niners made it to the SB.

New coaches and/or new QB's don't automatically = rebuild. Unless you are a defeated Bills fan apparently.

The Bills don't have Luck or RG3 but they are more talented than those Colts and Skins teams were......the Bills just took their offseason a bit too casually....didn't work hard enough to fill holes....sat on $20M in cap room......and subsequently couldn't put away some games early in the season as a result. You gotta' be aggressive to get quick turnarounds.....the Bills chose the passive route and ended up with a "re-build".

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

The team with the worst record in the league has made the playoffs the following year...assuming 9 wins gets KC in :lol:.....in each of the past two seasons...so I gotta' call BS on your premise.

Both of those teams had new coaches and QB's....one of them was a rookie. And the rookie lead Redskins made the playoffs last year too. Oh, and the rookie QB'd Seahawks were narrowly defeated in the divisional round and first year QB'd Niners made it to the SB.

New coaches and/or new QB's don't automatically = rebuild. Unless you are a defeated Bills fan apparently.

The Bills don't have Luck or RG3 but they are more talented than those Colts and Skins teams were......the Bills just took their offseason a bit too casually....didn't work hard enough to fill holes....sat on $20M in cap room......and subsequently couldn't put away some games early in the season as a result. You gotta' be aggressive to get quick turnarounds.....the Bills chose the passive route and ended up with a "re-build".

While the Redskins got a new quarterback last year, Shanahan has been building that team for now going on his 4th year. He was 6-10 if you remember in his first season with the Redskins. Shanahan is certainly not a rookie coach either, so I am not exactly sure what argument you're making here. Looking at Seattle, Pete Carroll is also in his 4th year this year and not a rookie to the NFL. He's been in the NFL since 1994. In terms of the Chiefs, do you know Andy Reid. He's been in the NFL forever. So restating my point, rookie head coach and rookie quarterback. Find me a situation where a first year college coach that has a first year quarterback that legitimately competes.

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a rebuilding year.

I guess fans have varying definitions for "rebuilding year." You want to see a rebuilding team? Watch the Sabres. That's what a rebuild looks like. Tear the team down and, you know, re-build it. None of that is happening with the Bills. This year is all about finding our QB.

I've said this before - this team is a QB away from being a Wildcard playoff team. And not an elite QB like Manning or Brees either. Put a game manager like Alex Smith on this team and we are 7-4 right now, there would be a huge migration heading north this week for the game, and the Dec Miami game is sold out. Maybe that happens if EJ doesn't get hurt? We'll never know.

These last 5 games are going to tell us if we have to draft another QB next year.

These last 5 games are going to tell us if we have to draft another QB next year.

I'll disagree with that statement 100%. There's ZERO chance that the Bills draft a quarterback early next year. Maronne got his guy in Manuel this last year. The front office isn't going to simply write him off and move on if he has growing pains in every one of the last 5 games. Manuel has already shown that he's poised under pressure and now he's starting to make the throws he needs to make. Even really bad quarterbacks like Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, and many many others got multiple years before teams moved on. The Bills will be no different.

While the Redskins got a new quarterback last year, Shanahan has been building that team for now going on his 4th year. He was 6-10 if you remember in his first season with the Redskins. Shanahan is certainly not a rookie coach either, so I am not exactly sure what argument you're making here. Looking at Seattle, Pete Carroll is also in his 4th year this year and not a rookie to the NFL. He's been in the NFL since 1994. In terms of the Chiefs, do you know Andy Reid. He's been in the NFL forever. So restating my point, rookie head coach and rookie quarterback. Find me a situation where a first year college coach that has a first year quarterback that legitimately competes.

How about a rookie head coach....battling cancer......and a rookie QB? :lol:

Remember, the Bills won 7 games in '06, which was Jauron's first season. Unfortunately, they didn't answer the QB question and defensively improvements didn't materialize thereafter.

These final 5 games will say a lot about where the "new" look Bills are heading. They have to show the potential to get better, or they'll remain a 6-8 win team. Manuel progressing goes a long way to surpassing where the Bills have been for the past 9 seasons, which was a 4-7 win franchise.

for sure. but i think getting a good split out of the end of this season is atleast trending in the right direction. the thing could fall apart later, but it means they didnt this year.

Edited by NoSaint

I dislike the term "rebuild." As another poster said, the Sabres are rebuilding. It is the NFL and the time to win is always NOW. That is why we are still talking about the playoffs.

That said, the Bills are young, have a rookie HC, and a rookie QB. There is reason to believe that they will be better next year, but that can never be an an excuse for not winning in the present.

I love that Marrone has said that he doesn't believe that he has time.

Edited by Flip Johnson

I dislike the term "rebuild." As another poster said, the Sabres are rebuilding. It is the NFL and the time to win is always NOW. That is why we are still talking about the playoffs.

That said, the Bills are young, have a rookie HC, and a rookie QB. There is reason to believe that they will be better next year, but that can never be an an excuse for not winning in the present.

I love that Marrone has said that he doesn't believe that he has time.

One of the questions is are the Bills young or in their prime as a team?

Someone pointed out a stat about how the Bills roster was among the league's youngest.....but overall it is less than a year on average from the runaway winner of this division, the Patriots, for example.

The starters on this team are mostly veterans. Four of the five starters on OL are all 5-7 year guys. Stevie is in his 6th year, Chandler is a vet. Dareus is the baby of the defensive front, that front is actually pretty seasoned as are the OLB'ers. There is only one rookie playing much in the secondary and that is Robey as a nickel corner.

There are some young players, but the average age of the roster is brought down considerably by the lack of years at the QB position and a number of backup positions and it is safe to say depth hasn't been a strength for this team so I am not sure I would classify them as a young, re-building team.

They are by no means old, but this is nothing like what the Sabres have been attempting to do with a bunch of teenagers.

I see us as being so close to the top of the hill, and now we just have to get that final push to get to the top, get over the hump and start rolling downhill...

We are close, so very close to turning the corner...exciting times are ahead