ESPN..cool piece about Kiko...

Kemp2Warlick

The Charger fans haven't gotten to the "Why did we take Maybin when x, y or z were available?"...but give it time. Every fanbase looks back in hindsight. Thanks for the link. Nice to see our guys getting observed from other cities.

Awesome article, really makes me think about how this isn't just the "same ol' Bills" anymore. I mean, there's no way they would have drafted someone who had the off the field issues that Kiko had in years past, but they did their due diligence and realized that he has matured since his mistakes and that he is the real deal. I just love when players with so called "maturity issues" fall in drafts and end up balling out, and I'm so happy that we finally got one of those guys.

Not to take from Alonso, but what about Robey? I know he isn't a starter and is a package player, but how many UDFA are contributing like Robey? I am sure he is benefitting from a great defense but that he still contributes and as a UDFA that says something. Meeks and Duke Williams were both drafted and barely see any time.

Alonso was the steal of the draft and Robey perhaps the steal of UDFA?

My only problem with Kiko is that he has me seriously reconsidering my policy of no longer buying active players' jerseys.

ditto

Not to take anything away from Alsono but playing behind this d line has got to be amazing for a LB. Like a rb, you benefit from the line in front of you. Alsono seems like he can just float untouched behind them.

when we play Atlanta watch how he puts his body in to blockers. He keeps a good angle of approach and keeps his body from making full contact, getting his arms extended to keep his distance. This is fundamental and often overlooked by the average fan. Alonso is very good at keeping separation. Coincidently, Dareus had issues with this last year as he was not able to use his explosiveness to beat the contact. He is playing much like Sapp. Conversely, Wilfork is a physical NT who can hold stout against a full press contact.

when we play Atlanta watch how he puts his body in to blockers. He keeps a good angle of approach and keeps his body from making full contact, getting his arms extended to keep his distance. This is fundamental and often overlooked by the average fan. Alonso is very good at keeping separation. Coincidently, Dareus had issues with this last year as he was not able to use his explosiveness to beat the contact. He is playing much like Sapp. Conversely, Wilfork is a physical NT who can hold stout against a full press contact.

good point. He is the perfect LB for the new NFL. It also seems like we do really well with Oregon defensive players.

Not to take from Alonso, but what about Robey? I know he isn't a starter and is a package player, but how many UDFA are contributing like Robey? I am sure he is benefitting from a great defense but that he still contributes and as a UDFA that says something. Meeks and Duke Williams were both drafted and barely see any time.

Alonso was the steal of the draft and Robey perhaps the steal of UDFA?

ditto

Agreed. I saw a couple weeks ago that PFF had Robey rated as the 3rd best slot CB in the league, not sure where he's at now. He is physical for a small guy and very quick with a great break on the ball.

when we play Atlanta watch how he puts his body in to blockers. He keeps a good angle of approach and keeps his body from making full contact, getting his arms extended to keep his distance. This is fundamental and often overlooked by the average fan. Alonso is very good at keeping separation.

Very good points!

I remember hearing a quote from Mark Asper, the late-round OL we drafted from Oregon a few yrs ago. He was recently re-signed to the practice squad this year, and was then asked about Kiko ... he said something like "I can probably count on one hand the number of times I got my hands on Kiko in practice."

This is the polar opposite of what Kelvin Sheppard did for us playing the same position. He made almost no plays because he was always locked up & dancing with the O-linemen as the backs came through.

Very good points!

I remember hearing a quote from Mark Asper, the late-round OL we drafted from Oregon a few yrs ago. He was recently re-signed to the practice squad this year, and was then asked about Kiko ... he said something like "I can probably count on one hand the number of times I got my hands on Kiko in practice."

This is the polar opposite of what Kelvin Sheppard did for us playing the same position. He made almost no plays because he was always locked up & dancing with the O-linemen as the backs came through.

difference in playing style. Sheppard was good enough in college to be the Mike or the Jack. In the pro's he is not good enough in pass to be the Jack and not able to perform at the Mike position. He was able to handle the average jobs, just not able to get clean and stop the runner. He was able to get in to zone coverage but not able to cover a man. It's hard to say it and have it make sense, but otherwise he was very good at the rest of what he did - which for an LB - that's kind of horrible. Sheppard did not get pushed around or abused physically, he just didn't get seperation and win the hand fights to succeed. The inverse is Bryan Scott. Able to cover his man but not able to get in to position through traffic and big bodies, and able to get tackles and seperation from a blocker but not strong enough to defeat them.

If we cloned Scott and Sheppard together we would have had a good MLB.

(Jack is the other inside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-4 for those that do not know)

Very good points!

Kyle Long said the same thing about him... he is somewhat undersized for a MLB but in the right system he is perfect

cool to see other fan forum comments on our players.. good or bad. That was fun to read...

Since Teo was hurt for most of TC and really has only played a few games it will tough for him to measure up with the fact he went before Kiko. SD also has no pass rush and that will not help his production. Do they do an overall ROY or is it just the Off/Def? If so he should get the ROY hands down, IMO.