Groupon - Anyone Use It?

Chef Jim

I get groupon emails all the time. I've used them for restaurants mostly and have had some good deals on those. However whenever I research some of the other products or services they offer they're all from comanies that get the worst reviews I've ever read. From eye exams, to teeth whitening kits, to HVAC service they are almost all terrible. It's like they are contacted by companies that this is their last opportunity to make any kind of money before some extremely pissed off customer comes and kills them all. It's almost a frickin' joke.

My wife and I have used Groupon a couple of times. We liked what we've got from Groupon (picture on canvas). I keep looking at the getaway section. They have what seems to be good deals from time to time to places in Sonoma, Bodega Bay and Napa. Gotta read the fine print though...

I've used it, but I tend to stick to companies/restaurants that I either know are good, or I've heard are good. I haven't used it in over a year, but it's still worth getting the emails. You never know, and it only takes a minute to read and delete.

I get groupon emails all the time. I've used them for restaurants mostly and have had some good deals on those. However whenever I research some of the other products or services they offer they're all from comanies that get the worst reviews I've ever read. From eye exams, to teeth whitening kits, to HVAC service they are almost all terrible. It's like they are contacted by companies that this is their last opportunity to make any kind of money before some extremely pissed off customer comes and kills them all. It's almost a frickin' joke.

Yes, but only for products (which are hit or miss, but inexpensive enough to not worry about) and restaurants I know already. And for that, I find it works out fine.

Never purchased any sort of service over it, though.

Restraints and weekend getaways occasionally. The woman and I have done at least 3 wine tastings/bed and breakfasts purchased on groupon. The bed and breakfast in Chattaqua was horrible. The wine tastings along with weekend stay in NF Canada at their Marriott on Lundys Ln.

Edited by mrags

nothing more than restaurants like you alluded to. but like Kevin said, read the fine print, and like you are doing, read reviews of the business...

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. I was just asking because I can't believe how bad some of things they were offering on there.

One of those news shows (60 Minutes, etc) did a segment on one of the getaway Groupon packages, I think it was a resort in Mexico. For a comparison they bought one package from Groupon, and one directly from the resort. The direct bought package was the same as the Groupon package, even though Groupon promised more.

EDIT: Found it, it was Nightline.... Part 1 - http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/beach-bummer-19442620

Part 2 - http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/book-wisely-19442663

BTW, just saw this. Posted in the HVAC thread as well...Angie's list has something similar to a Groupon, but they call it The Big Deal .Might not be one when you need it, but they do send out emails just like Groupons when there is a new one.

Now, there is a monthly fee for Angie's List, but I have found it to be very worth the investment.

Used it for:

• restaurants
  • spa stuff
  • some goods (headphones, sunglasses)
  • some services (shuttlefly photo book for example)
  • golf

So mostly stuff I will use anyway - just get a cheaper price on it. I did just buy a 10 session yoga pack which I've yet to start.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Oh. Forgot about spa deals. Massages, facials. I've gotten them before for me and the woman as well.

And living social.... My girl got me the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience. Did 20 laps around Lancaster speedway with other cars in the track with passing and all that stuff. Was awesome and she got the deal for it being half off I think.