Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone run through our 7-9 odds?

Believe it or not, we are still actually well and alive for that final wildcard spot!!! Just need all of the teams ahead of us to lose out and we have to win out! Can you believe with 3 games left, we are still very much alive?!?! Lets go BILLS!!!!!!

Its comical at this point. But if we win out (highly doubtful), not too much unrealistic needs to happen to let us get in. Basically the "better/favorite" team needs to win all games except:

Week 16: Green Bay over PIT, Cleveland over Jets

Week 17: Jets over Miami

Do-able...but we need to win out...which is just laughable.

Believe it or not, we are still actually well and alive for that final wildcard spot!!! Just need all of the teams ahead of us to lose out and we have to win out! Can you believe with 3 games left, we are still very much alive?!?! Lets go BILLS!!!!!!

Its comical at this point. But if we win out (highly doubtful), not too much unrealistic needs to happen to let us get in. Basically the "better/favorite" team needs to win all games except:

Week 16: Green Bay over PIT, Cleveland over Jets

Week 17: Jets over Miami

Do-able...but we need to win out...which is just laughable.

This is awesome. We are going to get in.

The fact is no team deserves that 6th spot, but some crap team is going to get it. I would love it to be this crappy team, even if it happens through dumb luck.

I agree that I would do just about anything for a playoff berth. But at 4-9, lets be honest, we dont come close to deserving a playoff spot.

The fact is no team deserves that 6th spot, but some crap team is going to get it. I would love it to be this crappy team, even if it happens through dumb luck.

Everything keeps happening in the Bills favor, except the Bills winning. They are tied with Jax. What a joke.

In order for Buffalo to make it in the playoffs at 7-9.....

1. Buffalo win 3

2. Miami lose 3

3. Baltimore lose 3

4 Jets lose 2

5. san Diego lose 2

6. pittsburgh lose 2

7. Tennessee lose 2

8 Cleveland lose 1

9 Oakland lose 1

There are a few other scenarios where Pittsburgh only loses 1/Cleveland loses 0 to finish in 2nd place at 7-9 but Buffalo get in due to tie breakers at 7-9 based on better conference record thus neutralizing the head to head loss.

Edited by djp14150

As for the AFC wild card.......

Baltimore and Miami are tied at 7-6

San Diego and Jets are at 6-7

Tennessee and Pittsburgh at 5-8

MIA beat SD, PIT, Jets

BAL beat Jets, MIA

TEN beat Jets, SD, and PIT

PIT beat Jets

If the Jets and MIA are tied at 8-8 or 9-7 w/ Jets beating MIA in week 17 the Jets have the tiebreaker advantage..

If TEN win out, have Jets and pittsburgh finish 8-8 and both in 2nd place, and San Diego at 8-8 in 3rd place then Tennessee would get the wild card.

Pittsburgh needs to win out, have Jets finish at 8-8 in 2nd, ENN not go 8-8, and SD end 8-8 or worse.

NFC playoffs.....

a lot still to be decided with DAL at CHI and CAR at NO coming up....

Gionats eliminated.

DAL and PHL still play out for the week 17 game to decide the division title.

If SF and AZ are tied SF has clinched 2nd place by assuring themselves a better division record. going into week 17 Arizona needs to be tied or ahead of SF in the standings for the week 17 game to be a potential winner take wild card game.

So you thought this thread was dead? Think again!

http://www.wgr550.com/In-the-realm-of-crazy--Bills-have-chance-with-7-9-/17965274

I recognize this is a tremendous waste of time, but what else am I going to do on my Friday lunch hour? For those curious how the Bills can remain mathematically alive after this week, here's what needs to happen in week 15:

1) Bills over Jags

2) Lions over Ravens

3) Pats over Dolphins

4) Panthers over Jets

If those games go our way, here's what we'd need to stay alive thru week 16:

1) Bills over Dolphins

2) Pats over Ravens

3) Browns over Jets

4) Raiders over Chargers

And if THOSE games go our way, here's what we need to clinch a spot in week 17:

1) Bills over Pats

2) Bengals over Ravens

3) Chiefs over Chargers

4) Jets over Dolphins

Also, I think a couple other teams like the Steelers would need to lose at least one game along the way, but it wouldn't matter where.

So there you have it, 12 steps to a Bills playoff berth. Call it the Dirty Dozen. Let's do this!

And for the record, if you assume each of those 12 outcomes has about a 50% likelihood of happening (obviously some are more likely than others, but just for the sake of argument ...), then if my math is correct the Bills' likelihood of making the playoffs would be approximately .02%, or about 1 in 5,000. Tis the season for miracles!

And for the record, if you assume each of those 12 outcomes has about a 50% likelihood of happening (obviously some are more likely than others, but just for the sake of argument ...), then if my math is correct the Bills' likelihood of making the playoffs would be approximately .02%, or about 1 in 5,000. Tis the season for miracles!

According to sportsclubstats.com:

playoff odds down 0.02 to 0.007%

They probably don't assume 50% likelihood though ;)