Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

I too am confused. Why would Oakland hold the tie break?

The first tiebreak between us would be conference record, which I would guess is up in the air.

wouldnt it also depend if it was simply a 2 way tie, or 3+ teams?

with over a month left, and 9 teams within 1 game, tiebreakers are a disaster to try to figure out

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are thousands of possibilities with everyone involved. What if KC loses their last 5.

You will go nuts trying to figure out the final outcome. How many of all of the games left, end up

winning or losing on a penalty, a fumble, on a field goal try. Come back before week 17 and

it will be a good discussion. Right now it is useless.

Yea lets just take it one game at a time and see what happens. If we get to 7-7 we have better than a 50/50 chance in my opinion to make the playoffs. Before then, lets just hold back a bit on the playoff talk and enjoy watching EJ develop and the rest of our young players and coaches come along.

I so much want to let myself think playoffs but this happens like every year. There's a point around now where, if we win out, we can make it! But there are a lot of teams in the same boat and we have three problems: 1- this team hasn't learned how to win on the road yet 2- the rookie QB and team itself is very inconsistent and 3- the NFC seams vastly superior to the AFC making the Falcons and Bucs tougher opponents than I think their records indicate. Really, if we win 3 of 5 it will be encouraging. I suppose anything is possible and if we can win the next two it will ger real interesting.

I so much want to let myself think playoffs but this happens like every year. There's a point around now where, if we win out, we can make it! But there are a lot of teams in the same boat and we have three problems: 1- this team hasn't learned how to win on the road yet 2- the rookie QB and team itself is very inconsistent and 3- the NFC seams vastly superior to the AFC making the Falcons and Bucs tougher opponents than I think their records indicate. Really, if we win 3 of 5 it will be encouraging. I suppose anything is possible and if we can win the next two it will ger real interesting.

The NFC is not vastly superior. That's a huge misconception largely popular because of the lack of research and bias of the four letter network. The NFC is 28-24 against the AFC. So yes they are a little better. But the AFC also has the ridiculously bad South.

Btw. Tampa Bay vs AFC East: 1-2. Atlanta vs AFC East: 0-3.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

The beauty of the nfl is every team has that crossroads. Right now there are 25+ fanbases saying "if we win out....." and because it's good til about the start of December everyone stays invested.

It's the best part of being a fan- 1 game before elimination you are still saying "if we win out...." instead of "were 14th in the conference...."

Being a fan can be great

The NFC is not vastly superior. That's a huge misconception largely popular because of the lack of research and bias of the four letter network. The NFC is 28-24 against the AFC. So yes they are a little better. But the AFC also has the ridiculously bad South.

I stand corrected then. It just seems like they are stronger and Atlanta and Tampa worry me. Maybe it's just that the AFC has so many average teams a game below .500.

This is the biggest thing for this team. We are not winning the Lombardi trophy this year, but every extra week we are alive and playing meaningful games is so crucial for the growth of the team and the changing of the mindset of the franchise.

To this year head into the last week with a chance at 8-7 would be huge. Winning in New England in a game that they need for the top seed seems very doubtful and not something I would count on at all, but doing so means that we play zero meaningless games all year, and would really inspire a lot of belief on our roster and set us up very nicely for next year. And it still keeps the miracle run door ajar because you never know...

And it would keep the interest level up among the Veterans on the team instead of giving up. Week 1 of our playoffs started last week. Now on to Week 2 of the Post Season for us.

Didnt the Afc start at a ridiculous pace (I'm talking like 14-3 or something) against the NFC, meaning since week 3 or 4 the NFC has flipped the tables and completely dominated?

Yes, a lot of teams can get in if they win out. But only one has the easiest remaining schedule in the NFL based on opponents' winning pct and that's the Bills. That's the reason why the optimism is at least somewhat rooted in reality this year.

Didnt the Afc start at a ridiculous pace (I'm talking like 14-3 or something) against the NFC, meaning since week 3 or 4 the NFC has flipped the tables and completely dominated?

Through 4 weeks the AFC was 15-7. It looks like domination but I think it is heavily skewed by the fact that this year the best division in each conference happens to play the worst division in the other conference. The best division in football is playing the worst (NFC West VS AFC South). The second best division is playing the second worst (AFC West VS NFC East).

Interconference records

AFC East vs NFC South: 8-5

AFC North vs NFC North: 4-7

AFC South vs NFC West: 3-12

AFC West vs NFC East: 9-4

Through 4 weeks the AFC was 15-7. It looks like domination but I think it is heavily skewed by the fact that the best division in each conference plays the worst division in the other conference. The best division in football is playing the worst (NFC West VS AFC South). The second best division is playing the second worst (AFC West VS NFC East).

That is not true. THe NFL has a simple rotational policy of playing the teams in a division in the other conference once every four years. This year, it is our turn to play the NFC South.

That is not true. THe NFL has a simple rotational policy of playing the teams in a division in the other conference once every four years. This year, it is our turn to play the NFC South.

It is true. I know the scheduling is rotational. But those divisions are the best and worst this year. I wasn't talking about last year. Last year, the South was the best division in the AFC.

I thought what I was saying was clear based on the stats and context but i guess it could have been interpreted incorrectly. I edited my prior reply so that it is clearer.

Through 4 weeks the AFC was 15-7. It looks like domination but I think it is heavily skewed by the fact that this year the best division in each conference happens to play the worst division in the other conference. The best division in football is playing the worst (NFC West VS AFC South). The second best division is playing the second worst (AFC West VS NFC East).

Interconference records

AFC East vs NFC South: 8-5

AFC North vs NFC North: 4-7

AFC South vs NFC West: 3-12

AFC West vs NFC East: 9-4

i think it was the week 3 record of 11-3 that i was remembering articles about... 15-7 being just a .500 set of games added on top. essentially, that means for october/november the nfc went 21-9 against the afc. i know for the year its pretty even, and it mightve been scheduling quirks and stuff, but i think theres a fair reason why coming down the stretch people thing the nfc teams look better.

i think it was the week 3 record of 11-3 that i was remembering articles about... 15-7 being just a .500 set of games added on top. essentially, that means for october/november the nfc went 21-9 against the afc. i know for the year its pretty even, and it mightve been scheduling quirks and stuff, but i think theres a fair reason why coming down the stretch people thing the nfc teams look better.

Fair enough