Andre Johnson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the way these guys draft.

Save all the high picks you can, and keep builing what they are.

Dont trade for an older player

even ignoring the pick, if you could spend 10m+ a year on a free agent, it wouldnt be him. it would take a fresh contract to make the discussion make sense.

I'll take back my 2nd rounder and offer a 4th now. JBoyst is right. He has always gotten little respect but he's not as dominant anymore. Others are right when you speak of his injury history and age. Wouldn't want to offer a top 3 round draft pick for him at this point. He'd never be worth it over the rest of his career.

If he came on the market I'd have to ask myself why a team like the Texans, which is trying to win now, would trade a WR who has been so very, very good over his career. I'd need a good answer before I'd considered trading for him because the only reasons I can think that Houston would be willing to trade him are that he is overpaid for current production or that his skills are declining so fast that they are trying to unload him before he's not tradeable anymore. In short, if Houston is willing to let him go the Bills probably don't want him.

The only valid reason to look to trade for him is if he's so unhappy there that he forces a trade. In that case he'd probably be looking to go to a playoff team with a proven QB so the Bills would be out of the running anyway.

If he came on the market I'd have to ask myself why a team like the Texans, which is trying to win now, would trade a WR who has been so very, very good over his career. I'd need a good answer before I'd considered trading for him because the only reasons I can think that Houston would be willing to trade him are that he is overpaid for current production or that his skills are declining so fast that they are trying to unload him before he's not tradeable anymore. In short, if Houston is willing to let him go the Bills probably don't want him.

The only valid reason to look to trade for him is if he's so unhappy there that he forces a trade. In that case he'd probably be looking to go to a playoff team with a proven QB so the Bills would be out of the running anyway.

a couple things, he is not happy because the QB play in Houston is donwright awful. Players and teams fall out of favor all of the time. It is not because the player is bad/declining, it just happens.

Also he has no say on where he is traded too. Houston if willing to move him will give him up to a team that pays the highest price.

I would offer up a 4th and another conditional 5th/6th give if he has X amount of catches in a season. The Bills do not have a lot of holes they now just need better talent.

With Goodwin and Grahm going deep, Stevie and Woods clearing space, Johson would have a ton of free space.

a 4WR set of Goodwin,Woods,AJohnson,SJohnson sounds really good.

Edited by CountDorkula

Because he's not a young, up and coming receiver, that's why. He'd more than likely end up performing like Lee evans did after his departure here.

Taller than Lee Evans, desperate for playoffs, catches everything. If you could get 3 1000 yard seasons out of a tall, productive 2nd rounder and then were to never hear from him again, I would still take it. Think about who he replaces, and what he allows other receivers on this roster to do and be.

He would be an instant upgrade and would have zero of the learning curve of a rookie. Draft picks are assets, but they aren't gold. Johnson is money in the bank, and talented possession receivers can have long careers.

Taller than Lee Evans, desperate for playoffs, catches everything. If you could get 3 1000 yard seasons out of a tall, productive 2nd rounder and then were to never hear from him again, I would still take it. Think about who he replaces, and what he allows other receivers on this roster to do and be.

He would be an instant upgrade and would have zero of the learning curve of a rookie. Draft picks are assets, but they aren't gold. Johnson is money in the bank, and talented possession receivers can have long careers.

that would make him 35 and having been paid over 30m in those 3 years.

yea they last longer, but i dont think you can count on AJ to be highly productive at 35.

you could go sign the top WR in free agency for the same price tag, and not give up picks and be 5 years younger at the position.

Edited by NoSaint

Apparently unhappy in Houston, would you trade draft pick for him? If so, what would you be willing to part with?

I'd say NO Andre is apparently on the down side of his career hurt more than not & we have enough of that already with some players not to mention i think our WR corp again IF HEALTHY can be a strength of our team with more experience & familiarity of this scheme .

So i would say use the draft picks to keep finding younger talent going ahead , the prior powers wasted to many getting T Jack, & letting the likes of Carder & others go free so let's keep our picks !!

But if he comes available on a 1 year fairly reasonable contract another big bodied veteran can't hurt as long as it doesn't come at the expense of another promising rookie or UDFA !!

You all want a crybaby who when he does not make a play, for whatever reason, just

leaves his teamates, coaches, fans and goes home. LOL

I see you have no idea who Andre Johson is, and the constant professional he has always been. He had a "bad day at the office" it happens to everyone.

that would make him 35 and having been paid over 30m in those 3 years.

yea they last longer, but i dont think you can count on AJ to be highly productive at 35.

you could go sign the top WR in free agency for the same price tag, and not give up picks and be 5 years younger at the position.

Really? I imagine the top WR in free agency is not going to be as good... most great ones get locked up by their teams. Megatron isn't going to come available, AJ Green isn't... And if anyone is better and younger I have to believe the salary, commitment and bonus are going to be higher.

And while I understand that precedent says that at 35 a guy will slow down and be ineffective, this isn't just anyone we're talking about here.

Every year since 2007, save for an injury plagued 2011, he's averaged almost 100 ypg, and 6 receptions per game. The stats aren't trending downward. He is on pace for another 1500 yard season.

Really? I imagine the top WR in free agency is not going to be as good... most great ones get locked up by their teams. Megatron isn't going to come available, AJ Green isn't... And if anyone is better and younger I have to believe the salary, commitment and bonus are going to be higher.

And while I understand that precedent says that at 35 a guy will slow down and be ineffective, this isn't just anyone we're talking about here.

Every year since 2007, save for an injury plagued 2011, he's averaged almost 100 ypg, and 6 receptions per game. The stats aren't trending downward. He is on pace for another 1500 yard season.

it would at best be risky, and id rather take that risk paying a younger guy that we could get 5 years (or more) out of if it works out. johnson could prove me wrong, and some guys do - TO was still productive til 35, as was reggie wayne pre injury. just wouldnt be the first guy i target and trading picks for a 10m+ per year wr is definitely a situation where you can target some pretty premium guys.

it would at best be risky, and id rather take that risk paying a younger guy that we could get 5 years (or more) out of if it works out. johnson could prove me wrong, and some guys do - TO was still productive til 35, as was reggie wayne pre injury. just wouldnt be the first guy i target and trading picks for a 10m+ per year wr is definitely a situation where you can target some pretty premium guys.

Problem is that most of those guys aren't going to be available, so the hope here is to exploit the Texans' situation. I think given his price, a second is totally reasonable. I agree, you'd love to get a receiver you could have for 5 years or more, but we have a lot of cost-controlled players who are young. I think this could be a way to supplement them for now till we can find a player like him in the draft.

I wonder how he and Mario got along in H-Town.

We come upon these questions ever season. What over the hill, at the end of their career player should the Bills trade for? Why? EJ Manuel didn't need his top two wide receivers yesterday to throw for 245 in windy conditions. Trade makes no sense unless it's a really late pick.

We come upon these questions ever season. What over the hill, at the end of their career player should the Bills trade for? Why? EJ Manuel didn't need his top two wide receivers yesterday to throw for 245 in windy conditions. Trade makes no sense unless it's a really late pick.

so on pace for 1,500 yards and close/over 100 receptions is now over the hill? got it.

Your logic is extremly flawed, you bring in playmakers to make your team better. Johnson is a playmaker, and a massive WR, which the Bills need.