Who wants to apologize to Nate Hackett??

These "apologize" threads are ridiculous.

Our team is a pathetic 4-7, and has already (unless there is a miracle) screwed itself out of playoff contention before Thanksgiving. So when they finally put together a solid win, we are supposed to forget all of the crap that came before it?

The word is consistency. I'm thrilled about winning on Sunday. But until we start winning 3, 4, 5 games in a row... on the road... against good teams. Well, I'm not going to get too excited. Sorry, but this team hasn't proven anything yet.

As far as Hackett goes - most people would acknowledge that he's been pretty bad most of the year. He was OK yesterday.

I was happy to see Manuel under center 99% of the day, because I think the read-option is terrible. I was happy to see us hit a couple deep throws. I was not happy to see us run the ball on 20 of 25 first down plays (again) - because I'm sick of us being so predictable, and it's killing our run game. It was nice to see us score 37 points. But don't forget that our defense was directly responsible for 17 of them (Fumble setting them up on the 4 yard line, Searcy's INT return, Byrd's INT setting them up on the 27).

I would like to believe that Hackett is "improving" but I thought he called pretty good games against Baltimore and Kansas City earlier this year, only to watch him go backwards a week later.

I was being "ironical" in calling for apologies because I was pretty pissed someone would ask me to apologize to Byrd. I figured the humor would carry over but, apparently, my sense of humor fell short. Yes, being under center gives EJ more options and his footwork looked much improved yesterday for some reason. Anyway, thanks for your post; I was simply pointing out that Hackett has improved to some degree. Baby steps...we won't see perfection (or anything near it this year).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about instead of apologizing let's not have some fans act like 13 year old girls and overreact to everything? A rookie NFL OC is learning on the job with a rookie QB who has missed a lot of valuable practice time and 2 undrafted QBs. Any rational fan would see what Hackett has to work with and be patient.

Good post. These two words are often in conflict with each other since fan is a short version of fanatic. How often do we see that with some of the posts here on TSW.....Not that it's anything unique to Bills' fans.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

How about instead of apologizing let's not have some fans act like 13 year old girls and overreact to everything? A rookie NFL OC is learning on the job with a rookie QB who has missed a lot of valuable practice time and 2 undrafted QBs. Any rational fan would see what Hackett has to work with and be patient.

Ditto that. I see improvement (have I said that?) and as long as we're not regressing, I'm happy.

start by thanking the defense for 4 turnovers.

that one play call where EJ threw the ball 50 yards up in the air and 30 yards forward, letting the wind grab hold of it and then having TJ come back for it was pure genius.

a 1.8 yard per rush average will not help in any month.

this team is still mentally weak. (lee smith, frank summers, ron brooks, tj graham to name a few).

fortunately the jets made more mistakes than we did.

having said all that, I really don't have a problem with Hackett. I put it on the players to execute whatever he calls.

the future is finally bright for this team, throw in a LG, a sacking OLB/DE, another TE and LOOK OUT !!

that one play call where EJ threw the ball 50 yards up in the air and 30 yards forward, letting the wind grab hold of it and then having TJ come back for it was pure genius.

I figured someone would make a comment like this.

I thought the play was brilliant. EJ knew he had single coverage on the outside, it was an all-out blitz, and a 3rd down. Just throwing the ball up there was a clever move. At worst, it's a pick, and likely just as good, if not better, than a punt.

I thought the play was brilliant. EJ knew he had single coverage on the outside, it was an all-out blitz, and a 3rd down. Just throwing the ball up there was a clever move. At worst, it's a pick, and likely just as good, if not better, than a punt.

Geno made the same play earlier and someone in the shoutbox commented that "at least Geno is throwing it up there."

Then EJ does the same thing and it's he's lucky or it was a fluke. Just can't win with some fans.

Not to stroke your ego again, but I never thought of it that way. Good point. You are on a roll...... Now come up with some hair brained observation so I can bring you back down to earth.

Wanting to apologize because a worker finally does a decent job after over six months on the job, no way! He finally showed that he actually had a clue. He was not great, just acceptable. Imagine where we would be if our OC was as good as our DC at his job. Look at what the Big P has done with the defense compared with what Wanny did, and you can imagine what the Bills could be doing right now with a decent OC.

He finally did what he should have done since the first game. He still has not figured out how to call run plays based on the abilities of his runners. He has not figured out how to properly use CJ. Constantly running CJ up the middle in traffic is a waste. He finally used the "Bowling Ball" Summers right ,and the first time, surprise a TD! This was an obvious choice all season.

He finally let EJ throw the bombs to TJ and Goodwin early, which caused the Jets to respect the long ball and not simply just flood EJ with blitzes. Without Goodwin I'm not sure this would have worked, but now it does. He needs to keep the training wheels off EJ the rest of the season and open it up. Now if he just learns how to get CJ in space and not trying to run plays with CJ that are actually designed for a bowling ball type backs like Summers.

He is still a liability at OC. Marrone brought him in out of personal loyalty, not out of an intelligent head coaching decision, and it shows.

Good observation. I was thinking the same thing at the time he did this.

Wanting to apologize because a worker finally does a decent job after over six months on the job, no way! He finally showed that he actually had a clue. He was not great, just acceptable. Imagine where we would be if our OC was as good as our DC at his job. Look at what the Big P has done with the defense compared with what Wanny did, and you can imagine what the Bills could be doing right now with a decent OC.

He finally did what he should have done since the first game. He still has not figured out how to call run plays based on the abilities of his runners. He has not figured out how to properly use CJ. Constantly running CJ up the middle in traffic is a waste. He finally used the "Bowling Ball" Summers right ,and the first time, surprise a TD! This was an obvious choice all season.

He finally let EJ throw the bombs to TJ and Goodwin early, which caused the Jets to respect the long ball and not simply just flood EJ with blitzes. Without Goodwin I'm not sure this would have worked, but now it does. He needs to keep the training wheels off EJ the rest of the season and open it up. Now if he just learns how to get CJ in space and not trying to run plays with CJ that are actually designed for a bowling ball type backs like Summers.

He is still a liability at OC. Marrone brought him in out of personal loyalty, not out of an intelligent head coaching decision, and it shows.

Someone pee in your Cheerios this morning?

I get the OP's main point...but I don't think anyone is "owed" an apology just yet...I didn't trash Hackett but I certainly did question his play-calling, and at the time, who shouldn't?? Probably a combination of his presence on the sideline helped calm a young QB along with staying in personal contact with him throughout the game and his improved play-calling made a tremendous difference in the Offensive output, but it's one week....let's see how the rest of the season progresses, just as I stated in a thread last week when people were ready to throw EJ off the bus...let's all calm down and give it a little time...for better or for worse.

I think the team is heading in the right direction and it's why I'm willing to give Marrone and his staff a little slack to improve, but make no mistake, the entire team does have to improve. Yesterday's win against the Jets was nice and it showed what this team is capable of, minus the lackluster running game, and that's room to provide hope for a better BILLS future...Hackett did much better, but so did EJ, which made the WRs look better and the O-line...and the cycle goes ad nauseum...but, no apologies yet, his game plan was questioned legitimately...let's see how he develops along with his young Offense

You always have single coverage on the outside when the ball is snapped. The question is where are the safeties, and they were in a 2 deep zone, which means its NOT single coverage on the long ball. It was double coverage in that corner when he caught that. That's the first "pro level" ball adjustment I've ever seen from TJ. A harder catch than it looked in that wind too.

Great play that came at a great time. I felt like the Jets knew they were gonna lose this one after that play.

Good Point. If you have a player like Goodwin with his speed and hands and you are well out of field goal range on 3rd and long, in the other team's half of the field, how is this not a better option than a punt? Of course you need a QB that has the arm and you would need to have the play designed for the other receivers to be ready to immediately convert into coverage.(Thinking a ST player like Easley). But that would beat a punt by a mile.

Actually this might even be an occasional 4th down play in similar circumstances with the right ST personnel on the field. And there would be the increased chance of drawing a penalty as well, by the confusion it might cause.

Edited by simpleman

I get the OP's main point...but I don't think anyone is "owed" an apology just yet...I didn't trash Hackett but I certainly did question his play-calling, and at the time, who shouldn't?? Probably a combination of his presence on the sideline helped calm a young QB along with staying in personal contact with him throughout the game and his improved play-calling made a tremendous difference in the Offensive output, but it's one week....let's see how the rest of the season progresses, just as I stated in a thread last week when people were ready to throw EJ off the bus...let's all calm down and give it a little time...for better or for worse.

I think the team is heading in the right direction and it's why I'm willing to give Marrone and his staff a little slack to improve, but make no mistake, the entire team does have to improve. Yesterday's win against the Jets was nice and it showed what this team is capable of, minus the lackluster running game, and that's room to provide hope for a better BILLS future...Hackett did much better, but so did EJ, which made the WRs look better and the O-line...and the cycle goes ad nauseum...but, no apologies yet, his game plan was questioned legitimately...let's see how he develops along with his young Offense

I wasn't calling for an apology...I was being sarcastic. Damn, this is getting tiresome.

I been Hackett's biggest critic and by no means am i ready to say after one game i was wrong.

The injury excuse guys have been using for Hackett's O being bad is not a good one. EJ just had his best day with out his 2 best recievers in the game. Point is Hackett did call a nice game yesterday. IF he does it more consistently and the Bills O looks like it did yesterday then i will admit i am wrong. Till then jury is out on him. Kudo's to the staff trying something different with Hackett on the sideline.

And the wait and see approach to an OC is just silly. The guy should be good or he should not be an OC in the NFL! There are only 32 of those jobs in the world. You should either be one of the best 32 for the job or not have it. You are ready to be one or not. Guess we are so use to losing as Bill's fans we will even allow our coaches to take time to develope like a player. Sad.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I wasn't calling for an apology...I was being sarcastic. Damn, this is getting tiresome.

my apologies, and i did read the rest of the post, which is why I took a soft approach to explaining my position...it wasn't that I was all up-in-arms about saying someone needed to apologize to Hackett, but again, I missed the general tenor of your post, which is my fault...well, that, and Monday morning being what it is...either way, I didn't take it as you intended and apparently my rant came off as just that - a rant, which it was not...my bad

My wife says I have a dry sense of humor...at this point I feel like a saltine.

nice...

It's about time let's just say that ! He should have had EJ with the arm the guy has & the speed that some of the guys possess going long A LOT more than he has to this point !

Although you couldn't tell it yesterday it also helps to open up the running if you go long more thn once every 3 or 4 games .

So apologize i think not !!