Marrone is how bad?

Terrakon

We all saw SU get crushed by FSU. I have to ask this question. Would that have happened if Marrone was still the coach? Yes, they must certainly would have gotten beat, but would they have gotten embarrassed? I ask this because I hear people who say Marrone shouldn't be the coach. He is in over his head, maybe Pettine should be coach, etc... Yet, right after he left a program it has dropped off the radar again. Coaching matters and Marrone is a good one. Pettine is a good one. We have good coaching. Now we have to see the players respond. We play all of the teams in our division again so we will see. It starts with the Jets and I think we can beat them. Marrone is a strength.

I see your point and counter with this. Of the 7 losses the Bills have this year, I count at least 4 of those losses on the coaching staff: NE - Fourth Qtr Game Mgt; CIN - inept Offensive Play calling in the 2nd qtr which changed the momentum; KC - we know what happened there and when; PIT - not showing up. Those four ball games the Bills should have legitimately won. Coaching is a big, big reason. Sure he did a nice job in Syracuse, but this is the NFL. Riddle me this - what do the HC's of each of the teams I named all have in common? They each have Super Bowl Rings either from being a HC or Assistant.

In addition, FSU is trying its hardest to wipe the floor with all teams to secure their spot in the BCS Championship game. Ohio State and Baylor both are putting up a lot of points each week. FSU has to do the same. FWIW - if FSU makes the BCS Championship game, I think they beat Bama.

I see your point and counter with this. Of the 7 losses the Bills have this year, I count at least 4 of those losses on the coaching staff: NE - Fourth Qtr Game Mgt; CIN - inept Offensive Play calling in the 2nd qtr which changed the momentum; KC - we know what happened there and when; PIT - not showing up. Those four ball games the Bills should have legitimately won. Coaching is a big, big reason. Sure he did a nice job in Syracuse, but this is the NFL. Riddle me this - what do the HC's of each of the teams I named all have in common? They each have Super Bowl Rings either from being a HC or Assistant.

In addition, FSU is trying its hardest to wipe the floor with all teams to secure their spot in the BCS Championship game. Ohio State and Baylor both are putting up a lot of points each week. FSU has to do the same. FWIW - if FSU makes the BCS Championship game, I think they beat Bama.

funny i thought the players were playing- blaming the coach is as lame as it gets

We all saw SU get crushed by FSU. I have to ask this question. Would that have happened if Marrone was still the coach? Yes, they must certainly would have gotten beat, but would they have gotten embarrassed? I ask this because I hear people who say Marrone shouldn't be the coach. He is in over his head, maybe Pettine should be coach, etc... Yet, right after he left a program it has dropped off the radar again. Coaching matters and Marrone is a good one. Pettine is a good one. We have good coaching. Now we have to see the players respond. We play all of the teams in our division again so we will see. It starts with the Jets and I think we can beat them. Marrone is a strength.

You talk like you haven't seen FSU play.

As to SU, they have a pair of freshman QBs, and despite your criticism of the FSU game, they're allowing fewer points, with a tougher schedule, in a tougher conference this year, than Marrone did last season or any season except one that he was there, with a notably better QB.

On top of that, SU has lost two of their five losses to teams ranked in the top 10.

I can't believe that you're using the FSU game to make that point. FSU has destroyed everyone, this might be the best team that they've ever had. It might very well be better than Bowden's championship teams. If any team has a legitimate chance to knock off Alabama it's FSU.

Talk about embellishing.

God the pessimism on this site is unreal!?! First time head coach in a rebuild process with 2 rookie qbs and a guy that was cut from Detroit and ended up on our practice squad. And your expectations for this team was what?? Do you honestly think he was going to come in and win 10 games his first year? It's clear we are not there yet, but there is a ton of potential moving forward. He came in and got rid of a lot of guys that have been here for years...he doesn't mess around. He is trying to change a losing culture that has been in place for over 15 years! It's not going to happen over night. Has he mad mistakes...sure he has. And I expect him to make many more. It's all part of the learning process....not just the players, but the coaches are learning weekly as well. I love his passion for the game, and his honestly after losses. It clearly eats him alive stomaching these tough losses...it pushes him every week to become a better coach and a better leader. We need to give this guy a break and look at what he has had to deal with thus far. I consider myself as big of a fan as you can possibly be. When we lose, I am pissed until Wednesday...but you have to put things in perspective here. We are building the framework for a competitive team, and we are making progress. The way I see it, is we hit on our first 3 draft picks this year, and Robey was undrafted and shows potential. Add in another good draft this coming year, and we will be right there when it comes to competing for the playoffs. All these tough losses are hard to stomach, but they do provide valuable learning lessons for both the coaches and players. Let's give this guy some time to coach before crucifying him after every single game. Short of Bill Belichik, I don't think most of you would be happy with any coach we had here. You all love to question every single decision he makes...which is easy to do when the decision doesn't go as planned. For me, I'm just looking for improvement from week to week. We didn't see it last week...which was an awful game, but let's see how prepared they are to play the Jets today. Go Bills!!

Not to mention he hasn't won a coaches challenge all year and throwing the flag on some egregious ones (opening game vs the pats). I give him credit in the sense that he does "talk" a different game than our previous head coaches but his in-game management is even worse than Dick Jaurons.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

He`s learning ,just like our young players.Give him a couple years.

I think EJ sucks, therefore I am a hater, however Marrone is somewhat "learning" how to coach this team. In any event, the team is vastly improved from what it was last year and IMO this is due to Marrone. He's papered over some holes very well, and sometimes when he coaches around the paper in the game it is frustrating to watch.

Provided we continue to upgrade in key spots (particularly on offense) I believe Marrone will work out and be the best coach we've had in some time.

You almost had me until that last part. No way FSU beats Alabama.

God the pessimism on this site is unreal!?! First time head coach in a rebuild process with 2 rookie qbs and a guy that was cut from Detroit and ended up on our practice squad. And your expectations for this team was what?? Do you honestly think he was going to come in and win 10 games his first year? It's clear we are not there yet, but there is a ton of potential moving forward. He came in and got rid of a lot of guys that have been here for years...he doesn't mess around. He is trying to change a losing culture that has been in place for over 15 years! It's not going to happen over night. Has he mad mistakes...sure he has. And I expect him to make many more. It's all part of the learning process....not just the players, but the coaches are learning weekly as well. I love his passion for the game, and his honestly after losses. It clearly eats him alive stomaching these tough losses...it pushes him every week to become a better coach and a better leader. We need to give this guy a break and look at what he has had to deal with thus far. I consider myself as big of a fan as you can possibly be. When we lose, I am pissed until Wednesday...but you have to put things in perspective here. We are building the framework for a competitive team, and we are making progress. The way I see it, is we hit on our first 3 draft picks this year, and Robey was undrafted and shows potential. Add in another good draft this coming year, and we will be right there when it comes to competing for the playoffs. All these tough losses are hard to stomach, but they do provide valuable learning lessons for both the coaches and players. Let's give this guy some time to coach before crucifying him after every single game. Short of Bill Belichik, I don't think most of you would be happy with any coach we had here. You all love to question every single decision he makes...which is easy to do when the decision doesn't go as planned. For me, I'm just looking for improvement from week to week. We didn't see it last week...which was an awful game, but let's see how prepared they are to play the Jets today. Go Bills!!

THIS... perfectly said except for part of hitting on ALL picks.. I'm very worried about the prospect of EJ in comp. to QB's coming out this yr... I like what staff is doing and think even though these losses have been grueling to watch and i feel like a massachist every sunday! But EJ is missing on such easy stuff and missing so badly on some them that it scares me we didnt wait a year and draft the QB this yr.

If we go ahead and end up with lets say 5 wins... we will be drafting somewhere between 6-9 probably and with the slew of QB;s coming out, 5-6 of them are looking ALOT better than him and a few more that are looking to be on same level and possibly better..

This^^^^ times 1000

I mean the things posted on this board on mind blowing in terms of the over criticism of Marrone and EJ. First off, like MANY coaches, Marrone does not call the offense...Hacket his OC does. Why do people keep talking about Marrone and play calling?

Second, the utter disregard for the fact that HALF this season has been started by a 3rd string PS QB and an undrafted FA rookie QB (and Tuel single handedly handed us 2 losses with pick sixes in Cle and KC games) is mind blowing, especially since he has had this team right there in position to win every game for the most part. Last years team was out of the game by half time all the time or just blown out in the 2nd half. The other half of the season, a rookie QB has started who missed half the preseason and half the regular season. Yet, again, this team has been right there in position to win in every game with the kid practically.

We have seen CRITICAL injuries to #1 DB, Pro Bowl FS, #2 DB, #3 DB, Starting DE, Starting LB, Starting OL, #1 WR, #2 WR, #1 RB, #2 RB, and #1 QB, #2 QB, #3 QB.

I mean come on people, most teams with that kind of injury issues and QB situations would not only have a similar or worse record, but also would likely have lost most of the games badly. Marrone and his staff are not perfect, but they have done a hell of a job given the circumstances of their first season here.

This team is headed in a great direction and will be a serious contender next year, especially with a FA or two and solid draft again. The foundation here is something to be excited about for the first time in a long time.

Too early to tell people!!!

Bellicheck in his first HC job was run out of Cleveland - do you think they may want to have that decision back?

Totally agree, coaching staff needs time; it's the front office I am concerned about and ten years of lousy drafting. Sorry, not sold on our current number one draft choice. Maybe it is Buddy's parting gift.

I have no complaints about the job being done by Marrone, but would also add while the ACC isn't to be confused with the Big-10 or SEC, it's still a pretty good step up from the Big Least in football. Winning three games in the ACC is a better showing than I expected to be honest. One more win they become bowl eligible. I tried to find the game but seems I recall SU getting blown out by FSU one time before maybe 20 years ago or so.

I remember the funniest thing about that was SU played FSU Saturday afternoon. Over the course of the game, you'd hear their typical "Indian chant" That night and Sunday night, the Atlanta Braves were in the playoffs and more of the same cheer. Monday night Buffalo played in KC and again more of the same. By that time my wife thought she was watching Groundhogs Day, she finally asked what the heck is going on??

You talk like you haven't seen FSU play.

As to SU, they have a pair of freshman QBs, and despite your criticism of the FSU game, they're allowing fewer points, with a tougher schedule, in a tougher conference this year, than Marrone did last season or any season except one that he was there, with a notably better QB.

On top of that, SU has lost two of their five losses to teams ranked in the top 10.

I can't believe that you're using the FSU game to make that point. FSU has destroyed everyone, this might be the best team that they've ever had. It might very well be better than Bowden's championship teams. If any team has a legitimate chance to knock off Alabama it's FSU.

Talk about embellishing.