Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Bringing up shepherd only says you don't get the argument many of us are so fundamentally making.

And missing that sarcasm says you don't get the point I was making about this horse being beaten to death months ago.

And unless you have some insight into his work ethic, mastery of the playbook, etc. that he displayed during the pre-season than your argument is pretty fundamentally flawed. 32 teams passed on the guy for the entire draft and he's only playing for the Colts because of injuries. But yeah, let's extrapolate one catch into a season's worth of production. That's sound.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I GOT IT.... Marrone relies on his assistants for input on personel to keep on the roster, Hilliard tells him Rogers won't amount to anything and they cut him. Fast forward to the last part of the season when Marrone realizes that Rogers is a future HOFer and that is why Hilliard was let go!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!!

It's called a metaphor. Didn't you learn about them in elementary school?

Metaphor in elementary? I don't think we were that advanced. That sounds pretty high level.

Edit. Damn't. Your response really has me laughing. Good stuff.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Chris Brown hinted at it, plus this post has enough detail from a guy who is not a Scooby, to make me believe that this is in fact what happened. As for other signs about Rogers' lackadaisical attitude, I guess you don't recall the training camp stories about him forgetting plays and line ups? It's not like he set training camp on fire either. And it's not like he's dominating the Colts offense. Will he even make the squad next year when Allen & Wayne are back?

Coach that lost his job is right there at the center of that. Even if it's all accurate you have to assume the coaches were still doing there job well for it to be the right move and I'm not sure "he's so good he will just get signed away" is a great reason to not even attempt to practice squad him.

And missing that sarcasm says you don't get the point I was making about this horse being beaten to death months ago.

And unless you have some insight into his work ethic, mastery of the playbook, etc. that he displayed during the pre-season than your argument is pretty fundamentally flawed. 32 teams passed on the guy for the entire draft and he's only playing for the Colts because of injuries. But yeah, let's extrapolate one catch into a season's worth of production. That's sound.

I used 5 games to show it was more than 1 catch.... So.... Not that crazy? That's a third of a season.

Edited by NoSaint

Coach that lost his job is right there at the center of that. Even if it's all accurate you have to assume the coaches were still doing there job well for it to be the right move and I'm not sure "he's so good he will just get signed away" is a great reason to not even attempt to practice squad him.

I see the cut as very logical. They didn't think he was ready for the full roster and that probably soured them on his potential for the future. They also thought that if they put him on the PS, someone would probably sign him off at some point during the season. It's a risk they took, and in retrospect, it's not a damning mistake, since Rogers has done nothing other than his one big game. Luck didn't even target him today other than one pass. He's still the #5 option on that offense and will be #7 in camp next year. That's not the kind of player people should be losing sleep over.

What this boils down to is what happened with Ike Hilliard. The guy failed us. Plain and simple. Of course, in management you learn that those responsible are ultimately at the top and Marrone clearly had the wrong guy in the position. I give Marrone props for cutting loose Hilliard at the end of the season, regardless of what was said.

That this team chose a roster of WR's that did not include David Nelson and Da'Rick Rogers at last on the practice squad tells me now a lot more then it did when Nelson was not retained and when Rogers was released without PSing him. Hindsight is 20/20. But, I knew when Nelson was not signed that it would not be for the best of team interests, that our WR corps were far from the talent many thought them to be and most importantly that he would find success elsewhere. And, he did. He may not have had 1,00 yard but he did have:

David Nelson: 12 games, 36 catches and 423 yards. and 2 TD's

He would have been our 5th best catcher and 3rd best WR, which is about where he should be, a good option as a 3rd or 4th WR. Put him on the field with Graham/Goodwin and you'll have someone to take the over the top coverage off of him, and throw the TE factor in there on a flat route you have yourself a successful option on 3rd down.

As far as Rogers, there was no excuse at all to not keep him on the practice squad. You can keep him far enough away from the players to matter if he gets to be a problem or cut him and not have a problem. The PS is for gems to get polished or bodies to take snaps. An example of this is keeping Wingo and then promoting him when we cut Choice. Of course, that was another bone headed move but it's not about that. That we kept Kaufman, Hogan and Easley is more interesting and I do get it, I really do. Those guys were more willing and experienced for special teams but at this point after the disgusting display of special teams we witnessed I would have rather let Rogers blow his coverage then I would watch Hogan waste our time.

I said it back in the Summer I will repeat it. Steve Johnson, Robert Woods, David Nelson, TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Marcus Easaley should have been our WR's. We should have kept Brad Smith to IR him, maybe even if he hadn't been injured (at that time Kolb and Manuel had been hurt remember and we had tried out Young and Lienert with no success and he could have been the better backup week XYZ then Tuel who we found to be less then adequate).

Thurmal makes great points on why Rogers didn't stay with this team and I agree with him but there was little risk long term to keeping him because we are so early and so thin at WR. Yes, we have a lot of talent and we have good future potential but Nelson provided us with proven talent that good teams rely on and Rogers provided us with a chance to try to improve that talent in the coming years.

Rogers is a rookie who was troubled in college.

I guess .. "troubled in college" is the non-nuanced mindset that annoys me. When inspected closely, he really didn't do much that should effect his ability to catch a pass or score a TD. He smoked a little weed (which is no worse than drinking beer).

Marrone had all training camp and preseason to evaluate Rogers vs Hogan vs Graham. Marrone chose wrong. Hogan and Graham will be lucky to be in the NFL in 2 seasons. Rogers is already making a name for himself.

Edited by conner

This thread has once again spun out of control. The bottom line is that he is better than the guys ahead of him. He was capable of making a couple of plays a game and the Bills lost a lot of close games. In addition, he has way more upside than the CFL scrubs ahead of him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but those defending Da'Rick think that the team would have been better with him than CH.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I GOT IT.... Marrone relies on his assistants for input on personel to keep on the roster, Hilliard tells him Rogers won't amount to anything and they cut him. Fast forward to the last part of the season when Marrone realizes that Rogers is a future HOFer and that is why Hilliard was let go!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!!

I hope that is the case. I really do. That would give me hope that Marrone can really be the coach that turns this team around. It would mean he saw a mistake and fixed in within 1 season.

I guess .. "troubled in college" is the non-nuanced mindset that annoys me. When inspected closely, he really didn't do much that should effect his ability to catch a pass or score a TD. He smoked a little weed (which is no worse than drinking beer).

Marrone had all training camp and preseason to evaluate Rogers vs Hogan vs Graham. Marrone chose wrong. Hogan and Graham will be lucky to be in the NFL in 2 seasons. Rogers is already making a name for himself.

He was suspended by the Vols, admitted to failing 3 drug tests, and transferred to a different school.

What word would you have preferred I use?

This thread has once again spun out of control. The bottom line is that he is better than the guys ahead of him. He was capable of making a couple of plays a game and the Bills lost a lot of close games. In addition, he has way more upside than the CFL scrubs ahead of him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but those defending Da'Rick think that the te would have been better with him than CH.

Exactly. How would Bills fans feel about cutting Thad Lewis for Kevin Kolb? Or cutting Jeff Tuel (preseason) for Dennis Dixon?

He was suspended by the Vols, admitted to failing 3 drug tests, and transferred to a different school.

What word would you have preferred I use?

Well bottom line .. my position is that his particular drug use (and punishment) should not be held against him as a football player.

Well bottom line .. my position is that his particular drug use (and punishment) should not be held against him as a football player.

But it will be. If he fails a drug test then he gets suspended. Fails again and the suspension is longer.

It's Marshawn Lynch all over again.

It was gonna be a lose-lose for the Bills no matter what.

But it will be. If he fails a drug test then he gets suspended. Fails again and the suspension is longer.

It's Marshawn Lynch all over again.

It was gonna be a lose-lose for the Bills no matter what.

Not unless he's already failed an NFL drug test which...to my knowledge...he has not...Nor has he failed one since he was let go by Tennessee...If anything Rogers has shown steady improvement in his maturity since he was let go from the Vols... B-)

I don't remember reading any of that. He had one catch against the colts in preseason but other than that he was invisible

Funny how we all see different things. I saw a WR who made Jeff Tuel look so good that half of Bills Nation wanted Tuel to become the new franchise QB.

Funny how we all see different things. I saw a WR who made Jeff Tuel look so good that half of Bills Nation wanted Tuel to become the new franchise QB.

You're confusing him with Easley. But don't let that get in the way of your analysis.

What this boils down to is what happened with Ike Hilliard. The guy failed us. Plain and simple. Of course, in management you learn that those responsible are ultimately at the top and Marrone clearly had the wrong guy in the position. I give Marrone props for cutting loose Hilliard at the end of the season, regardless of what was said.

That this team chose a roster of WR's that did not include David Nelson and Da'Rick Rogers at last on the practice squad tells me now a lot more then it did when Nelson was not retained and when Rogers was released without PSing him. Hindsight is 20/20. But, I knew when Nelson was not signed that it would not be for the best of team interests, that our WR corps were far from the talent many thought them to be and most importantly that he would find success elsewhere. And, he did. He may not have had 1,00 yard but he did have:

David Nelson: 12 games, 36 catches and 423 yards. and 2 TD's

He would have been our 5th best catcher and 3rd best WR, which is about where he should be, a good option as a 3rd or 4th WR. Put him on the field with Graham/Goodwin and you'll have someone to take the over the top coverage off of him, and throw the TE factor in there on a flat route you have yourself a successful option on 3rd down.

As far as Rogers, there was no excuse at all to not keep him on the practice squad. You can keep him far enough away from the players to matter if he gets to be a problem or cut him and not have a problem. The PS is for gems to get polished or bodies to take snaps. An example of this is keeping Wingo and then promoting him when we cut Choice. Of course, that was another bone headed move but it's not about that. That we kept Kaufman, Hogan and Easley is more interesting and I do get it, I really do. Those guys were more willing and experienced for special teams but at this point after the disgusting display of special teams we witnessed I would have rather let Rogers blow his coverage then I would watch Hogan waste our time.

I said it back in the Summer I will repeat it. Steve Johnson, Robert Woods, David Nelson, TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Marcus Easaley should have been our WR's. We should have kept Brad Smith to IR him, maybe even if he hadn't been injured (at that time Kolb and Manuel had been hurt remember and we had tried out Young and Lienert with no success and he could have been the better backup week XYZ then Tuel who we found to be less then adequate).

Thurmal makes great points on why Rogers didn't stay with this team and I agree with him but there was little risk long term to keeping him because we are so early and so thin at WR. Yes, we have a lot of talent and we have good future potential but Nelson provided us with proven talent that good teams rely on and Rogers provided us with a chance to try to improve that talent in the coming years.

This. All of this. Between Hilliard, Nelson, and Rogers (and - sorry - Graham), the WR situation was totally botched. With a rookie QB no less, who could've used some help. We've seen this all before. And Marrone could've sent the message he wanted by sitting the guy - cutting him was pointless and stupid.

Edited by Coach Tuesday