Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Kirby, in your opinion, you you think keeping Rodgers would have propelled the Bills to a better record that 6-10?

If so, how? What impact do see him as having over the course of the year and how would have positively improved the 6-10 mark you cite?

Rogers was never going to make this team because of Marrone...Period, end of story...

Even if he did make it...which, once again, there was no way Marrone was going to keep him...But even if he did, Rogers would have made little difference last year because Marrone never would have played him knowing (in Marrone's words) he had SO much more proven production and talent at WR already on the roster...

Marrone is not the kind of Coach with the patience necessary to develop a kid like Rogers...Pagano is...That's really all there is to it... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby, in your opinion, do you think keeping Rodgers would have propelled the Bills to a better record in 2013 than 6-10?

If so, how? What impact do see him having over the course of the year and how would he have improved the 6-10 mark you cite?

Potentially, I do. They lost 2 games in OT an another 1 or 2 in the last couple of minutes. Tht means to me 1 play could have changed a game or 2. He may have been able to make one of those.

Kirby, in your opinion, do you think keeping Rodgers would have propelled the Bills to a better record than 6-10?

If so, how? What impact do see him as having over the course of the year and how would have positively improved the 6-10 mark you cite?

Rogers regular season stats would've projected out to 60 catches 800 yards and 8 tds in 16 games. Today's one big catch would've kept him close to that yardage pace. I won't say he hits that pace but if we even converted a small percentage of missed plays we might've been 1-2 more wins, and who knows long term.

I've mentioned several times already that he was a favorite deep target of ejs in the spring camps

There's really no way to answer it other than I'm confident we wouldn't have been worse. Ultimately that's the problem, we wouldn't have been worse and we could've been better possibly.

Edited by NoSaint

Everyone in this thread has argued one way or another. I wish the Bills didn't make a mistake, but it's obvious they did.

Don't we preach accountability? Who should be accountable if not the organization and front office?

Am I not a fan because I say they made a stupid mistake and am proven right? Are people who hated the Maybin pick not real fans?

"Proven right". Lol

Rogers regular season stats would've projected out to 60 catches 800 yards and 8 tds in 16 games. Today's one big catch would've kept him close to that yardage pace. I won't say he hits that pace but if we even converted a small percentage of missed plays we might've been 1-2 more wins, and who knows long term.

Right, and Rob Johnson's stats projected to...doesn't a player have to actually do something to make the team at some point?

If, as has been posited, Rodgers made the team over Hogan, would he have seen the field here more than Hogan did?

Remember that ONE, I repeat ONE catch Rogers had this game. What were the Bills thinking releasing such a productive player.

He's an undrafted Rookie who signed late with the Colts and was only active for 5 games this season...

This argument has never been about Rogers this season...Though I think it's crystal clear he could have a bigger impact than Chris Hogan...This argument is about the future and the type of player Rogers could turn in to as a UDFA who the Bills smartly picked up, then stupidly discarded prematurely... B-)

Right, and Rob Johnson's stats projected to...doesn't a player have to actually do something to make the team at some point?

If, as has been posited, Rodgers made the team over Hogan, would he have seen the field here more than Hogan did?

He might've. And if he didnt, so what? Again, we'd be no worse but might be better. No idea how much better - could be a ton, could be not at all - but we wouldn't be worse.

Rob Johnson? Really? :lol:

He might've. And if he didnt, so what? Again, we'd be no worse but might be better. No idea how much better - could be a ton, could be not at all - but we wouldn't be worse.

Exactly...

He's an undrafted Rookie who signed late with the Colts and was only active for 5 games this season...

This argument has never been about Rogers this season...Though I think it's crystal clear he could have a bigger impact than Chris Hogan...This argument is about the future and the type of player Rogers could turn in to as a UDFA who the Bills smartly picked up, then stupidly discarded prematurely... B-)

However, what if Da'Rick flames out like Maybin did?

This story is still in its early chapters.

Fair enough. Like I said upthread, I think a player should have to earn a spot, not be given one. For every Rodgers, there's a Robey.

However, what if Da'Rick flames out like Maybin did?

This story is still in its early chapters.

Maybin was #11 overall Bro...

Rogers was a UDFA...

HUGE, huge, massive difference there...

There was zero risk in keeping Rogers...None... B-)

Just so you know. I wanted to keep him as well. I also understand why we cut him... And it's not because I think Hogan is better. Rogers talent is a whole different level than Hogans. I'm just pointing out how much people freak out over a catch or a game. Do you think that the Colts won't try to upgrade over him this offseason? Hell. He was targeted less than Hogan2.0 (Griff Whalen). Btw. I know he was Lucks college teammate. I still stand by my comparison.

It's not luck of the draw. There is a skill in evaluating players and how good they are and will be. Marrone is obviously a bit lacking (as was Tom Danahoe and Dick Jauron)

So you're saying that Rogers is gonna have a good career and Marrone is gonna have a bad career?

Look, I have no dog in this fight.

I'm just saying that people might be a bit premature in passing judgement here.

A lot of the opinions are reading as final judgements.

Rogers is a rookie who was troubled in college.

Maybin was #11 overall Bro...

Rogers was a UDFA...

HUGE, huge, massive difference there...

There was zero risk in keeping Rogers...None... B-)

There was absolute risk in keeping a guy with a bad attitude on a team you're trying to build. If this was Marrone's second or third year, he takes the chance. But no way does he take that risk on his rookie year when he's trying to establish his imprint on the team. We can laugh about the accountability, but I bet Marrone takes it seriously, and he was not going to risk giving a roster spot to a talented kid who obviously didn't want to be accountable in the summer. It's that simple.

And in the end, if Colts didn't lose two WRs, Rogers wouldn't see the field in 2013. After his one big game, he's been invisible. He was Luck's 5th option today. One catch. The jury is still out whether he can develop into a top 3 WR on that team.

If there's outrage to be had, it's that the Colts' true #1 WR going forward was taken two spots after TJ Graham. That guy actually makes plays when they count.

It's still the same question.

What if Rogers washes out of the league next year?

I do understand what you're saying...But my point is even if he does wash out The Bills still would have risked nothing to keep him and see if he can reach his potential...Marrone was trying to put some kind of ridiculous importance factor on the 6th WR position...He's a micro-manager...When he should have been a developer of talent...Because talent always wins over the hard worker when talent learns the importance of working hard... B-)

Holy schnikes, 34 pages on Da'Rick Rogers.

GG's post above should pretty much end the thread. Kid might be a player, but right now he is a role player - and that's all they need him to be. Hilton is the baller here. Rogers could be a nice part on a team that already has its leadership solidified.

If Rogers came in to camp with a bad attitude and had been rewarded for / despite it in Marrone's first year just because he has a good skill set, the risk would have been far greater than the outcome thus far.

There was absolute risk in keeping a guy with a bad attitude on a team you're trying to build. If this was Marrone's second or third year, he takes the chance. But no way does he take that risk on his rookie year when he's trying to establish his imprint on the team. We can laugh about the accountability, but I bet Marrone takes it seriously, and he was not going to risk giving a roster spot to a talented kid who obviously didn't want to be accountable in the summer. It's that simple.

Who says he had a bad attitude? That is a complete and total fabrication...There is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever...The only thing ever even hinted about Rogers was that he had a tendency to get down on himself a little when he made a mistake...I think I've tried to follow this as close as I possibly can...And not once have I heard anybody even hint that Rogers had a bad attitude while he was here... B-)

I do understand what you're saying...But my point is even if he does wash out The Bills still would have risked nothing to keep him and see if he can reach his potential...Marrone was trying to put some kind of ridiculous importance factor on the 6th WR position...He's a micro-manager...When he should have been a developer of talent...Because talent always wins over the hard worker when talent learns the importance of working hard... B-)

Or... you see a kid who has already been given multiple chances squandering it, and you decide you have way too much to focus on in your first year to be holding the hand of the #6 receiver.

I'd love for him to be developing here, and hope that they'll continue to take chances as they build up the "buy-in" from the players on the roster. They'll hit on some of them.

Randy Moss could get away with that. Not Rogers. How people blame the coaches for not keeping a lazy kid boogies my mind.

Are you talking about Randy Moss the preseason of his rookie year or Randy Moss in his prime? Do you understand why I'm asking this? If you do, then your mind shouldn't be boggled anymore. If not, then I'm afraid your mind will be continued to be boggled.

Edited by kas23

Who says he had a bad attitude? That is a complete and total fabrication...There is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever...The only thing ever even hinted about Rogers was that he had a tendency to get down on himself a little when he made a mistake...I think I've tried to follow this as close as I possibly can...And not once have I heard anybody even hint that Rogers had a bad attitude while he was here... B-)

Chris Brown has suggested as much. You can debate whether he is too close to the staff to weigh in objectively, but he probably does get to see more than the average bear with his own two eyes.

Chris Brown has suggested as much. You can debate whether he is too close to the staff to weigh in objectively, but he probably does get to see more than the average bear with his own two eyes.

The Billa cutting him is just an instance of the coaches being too lazy or plain unable to straighten this kid out. A rookie. That's too bad.

Fair enough. Like I said upthread, I think a player should have to earn a spot, not be given one. For every Rodgers, there's a Robey.

I hear what you're saying, but there is absolutely no proof that Rogers did not earn a spot...In fact Marrone was pretty complimentary of Rogers throughout the process...What there is crystal clear proof of is the fact that Marrone felt he had more talented, better players to keep over Rogers...Marrone's exact words were that the Bills kept players with "better production over a long period of time..." Even though he only kept one WR with ANY production over a long period of time in the NFL...I'm uncertain as to why ANY Bills fan would not be concerned about Marrone and the decision to cut Rogers...I really think it speaks to why Marrone is one more bad season away from being on his way out of the NFL, while a HC like Pagano turned over more than 3/4 of a roster in his first year and is in the Playoff's for the second year in a row...I think it's concerning about Marrone an indicative of his lack of vision...I really do...And I fully admit I could be wrong in the end...It's just my opinion...In fact I hope I'm wrong about Marrone...But I have serious doubts about him... B-)

The Billa cutting him is just an instance of the coaches being too lazy or plain unable to straighten this kid out. A rookie. That's too bad.

Yup. Always the coaches fault. Or the teachers...or parents...or friends...or whatever other excuse is given to explain a lack of personal responsibility.

I heard every interview there was on WGR and everywhere else concerning Rogers...Most of it was nothing but a bunch of Marrone nut-hugging IMHO...But that's a whole different story...

I'm not saying that folks did not have concerns about Rogers ability to learn the playbook, etc...But I never once heard anyone say the kid had a bad attitude...That's all I'm saying, and there is a huge difference...If the kid is out there doing his best then there is something to work with...If he's f-ing off than sure...I get it...Personally I think it was FAR less of the f-ing off, and far more that he was not the exact-type personality that Marrone wants...We'll see down the road...But my guess is there is every possibility that Rogers will be in this league long after Marrone is gone...I could certainly be wrong about that...In fact I hope I am... B-)

Yeah, we should probably be done with this thread. I mean, what do you expect from a team after 20 years of gross mismanagement? There comes a point you just have to accept the sky is blue and the sun rises daily. As for Da'Rick, be mad all you want, but he's the real winner and for that we should be happy. He's catching balls in the playoffs from Andrew Luck. Remind me, who are the real losers here?

Yeah, we should probably be done with this thread. I mean, what do you expect from a team after 20 years of gross mismanagement? There comes a point you just have to accept the sky is blue and the sun rises daily. As for Da'Rick, be mad all you want, but he's the real winner and for that we should be happy. He's catching balls in the playoffs from Andrew Luck. Remind me, who are the real losers here?

Catching balls? Plural?

Chris Brown hinted at it, plus this post has enough detail from a guy who is not a Scooby, to make me believe that this is in fact what happened. As for other signs about Rogers' lackadaisical attitude, I guess you don't recall the training camp stories about him forgetting plays and line ups? It's not like he set training camp on fire either. And it's not like he's dominating the Colts offense. Will he even make the squad next year when Allen & Wayne are back?