Why is the media not pointing the finger at Hackett?

MClem06

Sunday's loss was hard to watch. Even harder to watch was the extremely vanilla play calls on offense. At the beginning of the year Hackett was interviewed by the John Murphy show saying that he was going to be utilizing our strengths getting people into space speed and allowing them to make plays. After looking through the aftermath news stories about their loss, not one media source called out Hackett for how basic JV Highschool his game plan really was. Marrone is partly to blame for not showing faith on fourth and 5 from the 36 yd line and punting but if i'm in his shoes, our defense was our only hope of scoring points and how sad is that. Mix the calls up, surprise people, maybe call a trick play every so often to keep things exciting for the fans at least. Then if we lose we could go back and say, gee that sucked but remember that one play that was a gutsy call and at least they put themselves out there a bit. I think everyone here agrees that we are all done with conservative coaching. The playoffs are lost, lets get aggressive and see what happens? Heck we might start winning games if we're relentless. Another suggestion is to use no huddle the way Kelly did when you have them on their backs, not when you're two touchdowns back and the defense is gassed. We need to huddle to give them a freaking rest. My hope for the remainder of the season is that they ditch the bullsh** play calling and get more aggressive. Open the dang playbook all the way up and if EJ can't soak it up on the fly then we need a new QB next year. Let's see what you have Hackett , your job is on the line as well and we haven't seen much more than a predictable check down offense.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conservative coaching or (and?) conservative QB play? Pass plays call for multiple routes, different depths. How is it Hackett's fault if Manuel always takes the short option? I would love to get a look at last weeks game showing more downfield. You don't know what else is going on during a game, you see what CBS shows you. Also consider that we played without one of our top wideouts and losing another during the game.

Beerball, all I'm saying is that we are past the point of winning for playoffs now. People are done with conservative calls and QB play. It was EJ's first game back I get it but you've only scored 3 points up to the 4th quarter, don't draw up plays on 3rd down that has a checkdown option. Don't give that to EJ as a safety valve on plays where it wouldn't make sense. I'm not saying the jury is out and that I don't back Hackett but I do think it's time to step up and deliver some excitement.

Check out Joe Buscaglia's photos he is tweeting of Spiller's runs. He missed big holes right up the middle and bounced outside instead. That's not Hackett's fault. It's also not Hackett's fault that EJ had no confidence to throw down field and checked down repeatedly even when more yardage was needed.

The offense simply didn't execute so there is no way to know whether the play calls would have worked had they been executed properly.

I'm officially against a RB committee, which is something i left out of the initial post. I think you maybe have a few plays with both players in at the same time or putting CJ in the slot more with Freddy in the backfield. Make a decision and give either Freddy or CJ 20-30 touches a game. We're really not letting them get into a rhythm by pulling them out every other play. Not to say Spiller hasn't missed holes but i think that's partly blamed on repetition. Vision takes getting the ball over and over again until you develop a feel for the defense. I am just amazed that we haven't had both Freddy and CJ out there at the same time on some different formations with run or pass in mind.

Did anyone else not hear Marrone's post game apology for the poor performance when he indicated that he expects "most of my coaches to be back next year", seems something as a veiled threat. Hackett can pack his bags he is good as gone next season.

Other than us Bills fans,..... who really knows Hackett exists? On the other hand, if the fans aren't happy with a players progressions, it's to late for CS to try to cram that player down the throats of said fans. Players are either impressive, or unimpressive to fans. No in between.

The Bills are 24th in the league in points per game. Considering the following, I'm not sure that's horrible production:

* Our starting QB is a rookie who plays like one.

* Our starting QB has been injured. Our other QBs have been a PS player and UDFA.

* Our RBs have been dinged up.

* Our offensive line is only so-so.

* Our TEs are only so-so.

* Our WRs have been injured.

Also, let's remember that Hackett is still learning. Presumably, he's going to get better with more NFL experience.

I'm officially against a RB committee, which is something i left out of the initial post. I think you maybe have a few plays with both players in at the same time or putting CJ in the slot more with Freddy in the backfield. Make a decision and give either Freddy or CJ 20-30 touches a game. We're really not letting them get into a rhythm by pulling them out every other play. Not to say Spiller hasn't missed holes but i think that's partly blamed on repetition. Vision takes getting the ball over and over again until you develop a feel for the defense. I am just amazed that we haven't had both Freddy and CJ out there at the same time on some different formations with run or pass in mind.

there are probably 5 backs in the league that will cross 20 carries a game, and none that will hit anywhere near 30 (25 carries a game is 400 for a season). we have two good backs. if we want 30 rushes, a split along the lines of 18 to one, 12 to the other, is where you keep guys fresh and effective.

Complaining about playcalling is foolish 99% of the time

To be fair, I think Hackett's in a tough situation here

First, your talent is based around 2 great RBs while having good WR2s with Stevie and Woods, a toy to beat a slow backup CB/S with a Goodwin, and a bunch of crap. Not what you want in today's league where defenders can't breath on receivers. So, he has to run a lot.

Then I don't know what the deal is with EJ. Can't throw downfield. We're using the read option... where he hands off 90+% of the time because we absolutely must protect him. And then he gets hurt the one time he does run. EJ has to be a nightmare for Hackett.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

I'm in no way calling for Hacketts head and I do think he'll be the one to be at the same position next year. Saint, I obviously was estimating the numbers but I do still see Fred as a 3rd down back/ goal line role. I think we'd be much better if we defined their roles a bit better offensively. I like throwing both of them on the field at the same time to mix things up and using CJ as a receiver now that we've obviously become short staffed at the position due to injuries.

LEe Lee, think if you're the coach and the Rookie isn't taking shots down the field, how would you call your next play? 5 WR Sets with no short routes, make him freaking throw it long or take a sack. Throw him into that situation more often if that is the case.

Conservative coaching or (and?) conservative QB play? Pass plays call for multiple routes, different depths. How is it Hackett's fault if Manuel always takes the short option? I would love to get a look at last weeks game showing more downfield. You don't know what else is going on during a game, you see what CBS shows you. Also consider that we played without one of our top wideouts and losing another during the game.

This is the same debate we used to have when Trent Edwards was the QB. Are the receivers open down field, or was Trent checking down and missing open guys?

The only difference is that now we have All-22, and we're going to know pretty soon whether EJ was missing open guys or if the playcalls didn't get guys open.

Hacketts job is NOT on the line. Like it or not, he is here as long as Marrone

is here. Hackett is Marrones buddy just like Grossman, the awful ST Coach is

here. They will go with Marrone because any new coach will not hire either one.

Seriously? Hackett has had a revolving door of nothing but inexperienced QBs to work with. It's real easy to sit in your armchair and blather on about play calling. How about looking at the big picture? There isn't a play caller in this league that can miraculously fix the performance that EJ displayed this weekend. That was all rookie boneheadedness. He couldn't complete a 3rd down pass throughout the whole game. They even let him pass on first down 27 times and he still couldn't complete a damn pass. The play calling was fine.....EJ just laid a humungous egg.

We all know that QB play has been the Bills biggest deficiency for quite some time. It still is. The rook needs to practice more and maybe(no guarantees) he'll come out firing like we know he can.