Why "Marroneism" Doesn't Work

patfitz

It is clear from the HC's mouth to all ears that leadership comes from him. Does it really? I think most successful coaches believe that it comes from their players. Can you even imagine Jim Kelly passively sitting by when Marv decides to punt on 4th and five, down two scores in the 4th quarter on the opponents 40 yrd? Neither can most of us. He just doesn't seem to get it.

"The only thing that comes to these times and it happens and you get questioned quite a bit, is where does the leadership come from? It comes from me and that’s the most important thing. I asked each player, coach and myself, ‘Did we do what we needed to do to win that game yesterday?’ Obviously the answer is no. That’s not good enough. In a profession, and make no mistake about it, I’m here to win. That’s the reason why I chose to come here, that’s the reason why I wanted to be here and I know we can make that happen. The coaches have to understand that, it starts with them next. After that it’s the players. The players are here to win, not just to play, not just here to coach, but we’re here to win. We have to understand that. In doing so, what gives you the opportunity to have that chance to win is to make sure that we’re holding each other accountable." -Doug Marrone

Edited by patfitz

I believe he is saying it has to start with him. The winning mentality and not just a playing mentality is what he is trying to coach. I dont have an issue at all with that quote. Of course I read it with a mindset that he is the coach for the forseable future and as a Bills fan I am rooting for him to succeed. Not so much on this board.

I agree w/ EinI, way too over coached. One only need watch college and some pro teams at the los, step back, look to the sideline for last minute info, then refocus on the defense and snap the ball. Two or three guys sending hand signals and signs held up w/ God-knows what scribbled (or professionally printed) on them give me the impression that things would be more entertaining if the info senders on one side of the field met the info givers from the other side and had a fist fight to determine who wins.

Along those same lines, it's funny years ago when teams were in two minute drill plays would be run much faster than today. When you're in the last two minutes they still want to do all this pre-snap stuff even though the clock is running down and they end up being able ot run less plays. Years back ,you'd get to the line and snap it.

Check out his press conference from yesterday. He says, "we need more, what's the word I'm looking for?" and a reporter says "urgency" and Marrone says, "no that's not the word I'm looking for, ummmm just give me a second and I'll come up with the word (thinking, thinking, thinking and about 6 awkward seconds pass by and he says) oh I got it, URGENCY".

Right there I was like this guy's a Marrone. Total Marrone...

Check out his press conference from yesterday. He says, "we need more, what's the word I'm looking for?" and a reporter says "urgency" and Marrone says, "no that's not the word I'm looking for, ummmm just give me a second and I'll come up with the word (thinking, thinking, thinking and about 6 awkward seconds pass by and he says) oh I got it, URGENCY".

Right there I was like this guy's a Marrone. Total Marrone...

yea, nothing screams "morrone" like being at a loss for words....

Perhaps there has never been a reason to before, let's see C. Gailey, D. Jauron, G. Williams, anybody for 4 in a row!

Yes Herr Hitler we shall not question him. Or better yet get real. Why should we not question him? What are you the TBD SS? Get with the times friend, it is America you are free to question without persecution.

Edited by patfitz

I agree w/ EinI, way too over coached. One only need watch college and some pro teams at the los, step back, look to the sideline for last minute info, then refocus on the defense and snap the ball. Two or three guys sending hand signals and signs held up w/ God-knows what scribbled (or professionally printed) on them give me the impression that things would be more entertaining if the info senders on one side of the field met the info givers from the other side and had a fist fight to determine who wins.

I disagree. Over coached? No. Poorly coached? Definitely. Especially at the college level.

Don't worry about trying to read a defense, the coaching staff will do that for you. Just read the pretty signs.

Audibles? No need. Again, just read the pretty signs.

Head coach is leader in chief. Find me one good franchise where it is untrue...

Perhaps there has never been a reason to before, let's see C. Gailey, D. Jauron, G. Williams, anybody for 4 in a row!

Yes Herr Hitler we shall not question him. Or better yet get real. Why should we not question him? What are you the TBD SS? Get with the times friend, it is America you are free to question without persecution.

39th post and you don't like the coach. Mom make your breakfast yet?

I don't think I have ever seen fans turn on a HC so quickly. Generally they are given more than 10 games before being run out of town.

It's brutal. Perhaps all the people convinced that they know better can tell us which coach they would prefer this week.

Maybe Chuck Pagano after his team put a hurting on the lowly Rams. No. Wait.

Maybe Mike Smith after Tony G came back to Atlanta this year for their Super Bowl run. No. Wait.

How about Jim Harbaugh and his nine points at home against Carolina..? No. Wait.

Jason Garrett. Mike Tomlin. Marvin Lewis.

Wait. Maybe everyone who hates Marrone has the perfect coach in mind to take a ridiculously young, inexperienced and perpetually injured team to the playoffs...but just can't say their name. Yeah...that's it. A non-existing pipe dream that will win right now just by showing up.

About 80% of a teams result depends on the talent they can put on the field, not the potential talent of their young players or the talent their old players use to have or the talent they'd have if everyone one was healthy, just what they can put on the field now- the rest is coaching with 12% putting players in the right position to make plays, 7.5% discipline and accountability and .5% is this attitude crap everybody is so in love with, it's not nothing buts it's not much either which is why Marroneism doesn't work.

The leadership shadow of the HC is exceptionally important. I don't see any problem with Marrone blaming himself for the Bills woes and, at the same time, holding the position coaches and players accountable. I like that he's putting a lot of stress on winning.

As fans, we're only exposed to a small fraction of what the HC says and does. But that little fraction is actually encouraging. What may not be encouraging is the result on the field.

But I'm not sure what people were expecting. If Bill Cowher had been our coach instead of Marrone, he might have squeaked out an extra win or two but no more than that. Marrone isn't making excuses so I'll make excuses for him. We've had three QBs under center and none of them have been very good: two rooks and a PS player. Our offensive line isn't great. Our WR corps and secondary have been ransacked by injuries. And we're implementing new offensive and defensive schemes. I think it's way too early to conclude that "Marrone-ism" - whatever that is - doesn't work.

I wish my Mom was still here to make me breakfast, (speaking as someone who has followed every game since 1967, although I have a picture at age 3 in my wallet that shows me on my Dad's lap listening to a Biils' radio broadcast circa 1960, no I don't remember the score), yet besides Lou Saban, Chuck Knox and Marv Levy, I can't recall another Bills' coach that I could give a damn about, Marrone included.

Edited by patfitz

I don't think I have ever seen fans turn on a HC so quickly. Generally they are given more than 10 games before being run out of town.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself. My personal thoughts on Marrone are these:

1. Love that he's young and eager to prove himself.

2. Hate the decision of bringing Hackett and hiring our ST coach.

3. I'm getting annoyed with him starting off every press conference with "obviously" and overusing it throughout the presser.

4. Don't like the fact that he has no emotion on the sidelines. The only smirk I saw from him was week one against the Pats. Things are horrible, he has the same look. Things are going great, same look. Maybe that's just me but I like coaches who are more animated.

5. I can tell he's uncomfortable during press conferences but I love his honesty.

6. I feel comfortable with our O-line being above average with him here, with him being an x-offensive lineman and coach.

7. I was all for him throwing the red flag on every challenge except for one. (The unchallengeable challenge)

And I think that's about it. Of course we all know "winning" changes many things. So things that MAY be annoying to me now, I might wholeheartedly accept, if we could just win.