Digging Deep - why do you remain a fan of this franchise?

BuffaloBill

Dec-1988 last game of the season, Bills vs the Indianapolis Colts if I'm remembering correctly the final score was 17-14 Colts. My fanhood started on a losing day and it seem it's been that way since. That was the day I became a Bills fan Dec 1988 Bills vs Colts at Hoosier stadium. I'm not from Buffalo, and I only visit the city once in my life, but I not only root for the Bills I root for the city of B-LO. At the end of the day it's pure love, being born and raised in VA what else could it be, if or when this team leave Buffalo I will no longer follow the NFL it's Buffalo Bills for life. DieHard til death!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dec-1988 last game of the season, Bills vs the Indianapolis Colts if I'm remembering correctly the final score was 17-14 Colts. My fanhood started on a losing day and it seem it's been that way since. That was the day I became a Bills fan Dec 1988 Bills vs Colts at Hoosier stadium. I'm not from Buffalo, and I only visit the city once in my life, but I not only root for the Bills I root for the city of B-LO. At the end of the day it's pure love, being born and raised in VA what else could it be, if or when this team leave Buffalo I will no longer follow the NFL it's Buffalo Bills for life. DieHard til death!!!!

I was at that game and living in Indy it was not easy

I tried to leave three years ago, but like a moth to the flame, I couldn't sever the tie that binds me so tightly. I wasn't always a Bills fan, even though I was born and raised in Upstate New York. Jim Kelly didn't even want to play in Buffalo. The team would struggle for two or three wins a season. Then Kelly decided to show up to play, and the persona of the team seemed to change over night. I started watching them and haven't looked away since. When I graduated from H.S., I joined the Coast Guard. Moved away from N.Y. It always made me feel close to home when watching the Bills on MNF (when we played there regularly against Dolphin Dan) especially when it was snowing. Looking back, those were good times. I hope they come back to Buffalo soon. What I wouldn't give to see the Great FANS of Buffalo storming the field after a playoff win (preferably against N.E. but any team will do) and tearing the upright down. Just imagining it makes me feel twenty years younger.

Grew up a few blocks from the rock pile. My wife asks me these days, "why do you do this to yourself ?!" I don't have a good answer. After The steelers game I feel like trying to quit again.. That was pathetic.

But oh would I love to have a great Bills team again !

Edited by SoulMan

My father was one of the original founders of the Buffalo Bills Boosters Club, Inc.

In my avatar I am wearing his 1961-62 Boosters coat, with the Buffalo Bill Cody logo.

I met Tom Day when I was eleven and shook his hand.

I grew up with the AFL.

As others have said "it is in my blood". Yesterday I felt cursed. :death: \

I will get over it. :thumbsup:

If I could simply stop and pick another team I would, but I'm not that kind of person. However, I can care less and as the years go by I do. Sundays are more about my kids now than about football -- far more upside and far fewer disappointments.

sitting on my porch in 1964 on Rohr street listen to a transistor radio as the Bills beat the Chargers in the rock pile. I can still hear the roar rumbling down Northhampton when Stratton laid the wood to Keith Lincoln. That kinda hooks you

Edited by billfan63

I was born in Rochester. My family moved to San Diego in 1960, when I was five. I remember them taking us to see the San Diego Chargers play the Bills in old Balboa Stadium each season when the Bills came west. You could go to the game for $1 if you had a Huddle Club card. I guess my roots are in upstate New York even though I hardly lived there. I have followed the Bills since the 60's. I do root for the Chargers but believe they are almost as disfunctional. My heart is with the Bills and it always will be, but it isn't easy.

Parents both from Buffalo, I was raised in Rochester. I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't a fan. Lucky enough to go to a lot of games in the late 80's and early 90's with my Dad. Moved to NC after college and would find a bar to watch games (later Direct TV Ticket), and would break down the game each week with my Dad. Bills Fanhood has its' bonds.

When my Dad was dying of cancer he told me that he "wished he had enough time to see the Bills win one Superbowl". I told him that "none of us have enough time to see them win a Superbowl".

I told that story during the eulogy at his funeral, and it brought laughter from all attending (a church of mostly Bills Fans).

Fanhood isn't logical, it's emotional. For if it was logical, most of us would root for an organization that was better run and was deserving of our passion

sitting on my porch in 1964 on Rohr street listen to a transistor radio as the Bills beat the Chargers in the rock pile. I can still hear the roar rumbling down Northhampton when Stratton laid the wood to Keith Lincoln. That kinda hooks you

Archie Matsos laid some wood as well. And Cookie broke some. My worst memories were Dangerous Dan McGrew's regular hikes over the punter's head.

That's how I feel. I couldn't change even if I wanted to.

Yea I'm in that boat as well. I started watching the bills with my dad when I was 6 in '91 and had some of the best times of my life growing up and watching the games. I love this franchise and make the 5 hour trip to the Ralph at least 3 times a year. Our good days are coming. The sweet ain't as sweet, without the bitter baby.