Release Tuel

Nyghtewynd

He's not good but who is healthy and better? This loss is on Hackett much more than Tuel.

It's on Hackett? Really? I mean, really?

I didn't think it was Hackett who misread the coverage and didn't realize Stevie was alone in the endzone when he tried to throw it to TJ on the slant (thought it was Tuel). Nor do I think it was Hackett who fumbled a completed pass deep in Bills territory (pretty sure it was Graham) or dropped two passes that hit his hands (that was Chandler).

But then again, I only post about games I actually watch. Try it, it's fun (plus it makes you look less assy!)

Edited by Campy

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 dropped passes hurts, the turn overs looked to be the result of communication failures, most likely due to the lack of game experience. As far as the lobbed passes, he had some huge gains. One of them should have been ruled a completion. Give him a break. He game out throwing the ball for more yards than EJ. I've said it before, going 12 for 24 for 122 yards passing isn't going to win many games. I thought the rookie did alright for his first start.

I guess over a decade of watching terrible football can desensitize people to bad performances, but that was extremely bad. Not only was result, by any measure of a QB, bad; but Tuel failed the eye test by a mile.

If the Bills want to stash him on the PS, fine, but he shouldn't see any game time the rest of the year.

We're you at the game today? Not trying to be a dick but that single play completely changed the whole "mojo" of the game. It completely deflated the crowd. If we go up 14 there, the place is wild the next possession. The D really seems to feed off the energy of the crowd and there simply was none after that play. It was a glaring reminder of Tuels shortcomings and was pretty much like a kick to the junk. His play greatly declined after that sequence. Missed guys left and right and had obviously lost confidence. Not good qualities in a QB.

I agree that the pick 6 was a crowd-deflator, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Tuel, overall, played a good game for somebody in his position. Even after that play, he was hitting guys in the hands and chest, and the balls were being dropped left and right.

I am not suggesting that his performance was excellent, but it was good for a player in the his first start, going against one of the best defenses in the league. I just don't understand how people are so critical of this kid, and yet give guys like EJ and Thad passes for putting up similar "rookie"-like performances. For example, EJ's and Thad's mechanics too went down the tubes in the NYJ and Saints games, respectively. Are you suggesting that they too don't have the confidence to be NFL QB's?

These guys are all rookies; they're not going to play perfect games. If you thought Tuel was going to have an error-free game, you're crazy.

I feel like I ought to rename this thread, "Bills Fans Suffering With Stockholm Syndrome". Calling Jeff Tuel "a rookie quarterback" is just naive. He is a quarterback who is on this roster solely through mismanagement. He wasn't thought of as anything in college and he was undrafted BECAUSE HE WASN'T ANY GOOD. And he STILL isn't any good. He isn't remotely an NFL quarterback because he can't do anything. He can't throw, he can't run, he can't make reads. And I don't care that he's the fourth-string or fifth-string or whatever-string-needs-to-be-invented-to-make-someone-feel-good. He shouldn't be on a roster. ANY roster. But, well, this is Buffalo. It's been years since the team has done anything, and the local drunks errrr fans will say anything to ensure that they can keep throwing bad money after good money in order to have eight outdoor parties a year (maybe it's seven...did our wonderful owner move that game to ANOTHER COUNTRY still?).

It can't be justified. Not at all. And unless we're throwing the season because Ralph already has all of your "real fan" ticket money and is trying to get yet another high draft pick he'll blow, he should be released tomorrow and a REAL quarterback, a veteran who needs a job (and there are 10+ of them out there) should be on the roster.

I agree that the pick 6 was a crowd-deflator, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Tuel, overall, played a good game for somebody in his position. Even after that play, he was hitting guys in the hands and chest, and the balls were being dropped left and right.

I am not suggesting that his performance was excellent, but it was good for a player in the his first start, going against one of the best defenses in the league. I just don't understand how people are so critical of this kid, and yet give guys like EJ and Thad passes for putting up similar "rookie"-like performances. For example, EJ's and Thad's mechanics too went down the tubes in the NYJ and Saints games, respectively. Are you suggesting that they too don't have the confidence to be NFL QB's?

These guys are all rookies; they're not going to play perfect games. If you thought Tuel was going to have an error-free game, you're crazy.

Yep this ^^^^^^^ .....He gets a bit of a pass just like I would give EJ or Thad in the same situation. First start....had some good plays and some WTF was he thinking plays. Just what I expected (well a little better than I expected actually).

I feel like I ought to rename this thread, "Bills Fans Suffering With Stockholm Syndrome". Calling Jeff Tuel "a rookie quarterback" is just naive. He is a quarterback who is on this roster solely through mismanagement. He wasn't thought of as anything in college and he was undrafted BECAUSE HE WASN'T ANY GOOD. And he STILL isn't any good. He isn't remotely an NFL quarterback because he can't do anything. He can't throw, he can't run, he can't make reads. And I don't care that he's the fourth-string or fifth-string or whatever-string-needs-to-be-invented-to-make-someone-feel-good. He shouldn't be on a roster. ANY roster. But, well, this is Buffalo. It's been years since the team has done anything, and the local drunks errrr fans will say anything to ensure that they can keep throwing bad money after good money in order to have eight outdoor parties a year (maybe it's seven...did our wonderful owner move that game to ANOTHER COUNTRY still?).

It can't be justified. Not at all. And unless we're throwing the season because Ralph already has all of your "real fan" ticket money and is trying to get yet another high draft pick he'll blow, he should be released tomorrow and a REAL quarterback, a veteran who needs a job (and there are 10+ of them out there) should be on the roster.

This^^^

we need to stop settling for, well anything. I can get over the mistakes, it's the eye test that's a total failure for me.

Tuel has no arm. There is no velocity on his passes. His accuracy was poor. He couldn't consistently hit intermediate routes. He doesn't get the same slack as EJ because he doesn't have the potential of EJ. Not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention EJ has outperformed Tuel by a mile.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would defend him. He's not going to help us win games and that's all I care about as a fan.

I wish him the best and hope he has a wonderful, happy life. But unless he transforms into a completely different QB, I don't want him on this team.

I didn't think it was Hackett who misread the coverage and didn't realize Stevie was alone in the endzone when he tried to throw it to TJ on the slant (thought it was Tuel). Nor do I think it was Hackett who fumbled a completed pass deep in Bills territory (pretty sure it was Graham) or dropped two passes that hit his hands (that was Chandler).

But then again, I only post about games I actually watch. Try it, it's fun (plus it makes you look less assy!)

I think so!

C'mon man, letting an un drafted rookie FA QB throw 39 times in his first NFL start against the #5 defense. This looks particularly stupid when the Bills RB's were averaging 6.1 yards per carry against that #5 defense.

Hackett should have only had Tuel throw 20-25 times vs 50 rushes for Spiller, FJax, Choice, Summers

With more experience (I hope he never gets it on the Bills), Tuel will be better than Losman, or Trentative. I know that isn't very good, but the guy is the 3rd or 4th string QB. I felt way better with him out there than with Trent Edwards.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Hackett called a quick bubble screen play which is designed to be a 1 step and fire pass. That was an idiotic playcall, pure and simple. Come on Campy you are better than this. The 7 drops, the 2 picks and 1 fumble hurt, but that one pick was a 10-14 point play that a rollout or sneak or a dive would have be a wiser call.

Besides those 7 drops move Tuel's stat line from 18-39 229 to 25-39 and closer to 300. I am not saying Tuel played great by any stretch but the receiving core let him down.

Edited by justnzane

Trent wouldn't even throw to our receivers. Sad.

Exactly.

Tuel blew it, no doubt. But at least he moved the ball. The mistakes he made were mostly experience related. I don't want him starting, but as the 3rd string QB, it's not a big deal. Cutting him because of that performance would be silly.

Exactly.

Tuel blew it, no doubt. But at least he moved the ball. The mistakes he made were mostly experience related. I don't want him starting, but as the 3rd string QB, it's not a big deal. Cutting him because of that performance would be silly.

Exactly? Being better than Trent Edwards is what we are hoping for?