Release Tuel

Nyghtewynd

What do you haters see in Tuel that you truly hate about yourself ? I am very curious ?

And in addition;

I remember watching this guy named Joe Montana; Who by the way had

compromised arm strength... and if I remember correctly, I think he did very

well for himself, the team and the fans who supported them. And It doesn't matter

how long ago it was. Football is still football, coaches still coach and

managers still manage. And Tuel is still on the roster. Can we just unite

and root for our team; They need us ! Win or lose ! Goodnite all

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not getting killed cause Buffalo lost. I give him a lot of credit. He's way in over his head and didn't back down. He's getting killed because he was put into service to play and has no business being in the nfl. Kid is an arena league QB at best.

I can't help it, I have to admit it. I think Tuel is a very, very talented QB. Obviously he doesn't have a prototypical arm and it remains to be seen if his overall talent can make up for it. So you might end up being right, but I don't think you can know yet.

I can't help it, I have to admit it. I think Tuel is a very, very talented QB. Obviously he doesn't have a prototypical arm and it remains to be seen if his overall talent can make up for it. So you might end up being right, but I don't think you can know yet.

...he did show a bit in the first half....but does this TALENT incl sailing the ball half a dozen times--enuff that they had to check it for helium?? Does that TALENT incl making a colossal bonehead play?? does it incl several underthrown long balls to open receivers??

He seems like a mental weakling at this point. We'll see if he toughens up......But he may not have another chance.

...he did show a bit in the first half....but does this TALENT incl sailing the ball half a dozen times--enuff that they had to check it for helium?? Does that TALENT incl making a colossal bonehead play?? does it incl several underthrown long balls to open receivers??

He seems like a mental weakling at this point. We'll see if he toughens up......But he may not have another chance.

Why does EJ get the, "he's a rookie, there's gonna be some growing pains, it's his second game" treatment, but our other rookie does not? Very interesting.

What is important to understand is WHY this coaching staff went into the season with Tuel as the backup which is absent from your criticism of the coaching staff. You make it sound as if we entered camp with only two QBS and Tuel was intended to be the backup. I'm not sure if your misrepresentation of events is intentional to suit your point or simply absent minded.

Lets have another quick refresher. Lewis was acquired in August after Kolb went down and assigned to the PS. Leinart was signed on the same day. Should they have kept Leinart around? Were there other hot commodities available in August who also knew our system and would constitute a material upgrade over Tuel bearing in mind that EJ would be back in a few weeks? In order to criticize this coaching staff for having Tuel as a backup its incumbent upon you to demonstrate that there were better options available. Stating over and over that a 3rd stringer was promoted to backup after 2 QBs went down isn't a valid criticism as it ignores the context. In order to form a valid argument you'll need to do as I described above.

You continue to harp on this Colin Brown and Tuel point as if Marrone gave some personal guarantee that both were studs. You continue to criticize Marrone for personnel decisions which are the realm of the GM. You can hate on Marrone as much as you'd like, but if your arguments don't stand up or you're blaming the wrong guy, expect your opinions to be challenged.

Whether or not the KC game should have been put in Tuel's hands should be discussed in that thread.

wrong again, perhaps you need the refresher. :D So, I'll post the link again. http://www.buffaloru...ng-matt-leinart Aug 30th,Leinart released, Brad Smith, Kevin Kolb go on IR, and the first game was Sept 8th. They had a week to bring in another vet, and stayed with Tuel as the primary backup.

Tuel almost started that first week, and it would have set an NFL record. Because no un drafted free agent QB has EVER started the season for a team in the entire 93 year history of the NFL. EJ & Tuel were the only two QB's on the roster.

Thad Lewis wasn't called up to the team from the PS until after the Cleveland game in which Tuel completed only 40% of his passes. I think that there had to be better options out there then a 40% passer.

I don't know the exact list of available candidates for backup QB, or who the Bills could have traded for that would have helped them win games. Needless to say Tuel will be the 3rd string QB this week. I'm not bashing the kid, as I happen to think he simply needed more time to develop before starting him.

Lastly, I don't hate Doug Marrone or Nate Hackett, and up until this Chiefs game I defended them both at various times.

I take exception when someone claims that because our 3rd string QB sucks, our coach sucks. Should Belichek have been fired for having Tebow on the roster? Fearthelosing has continued his Tuel sucks therefore Marrone is unfit to coach crusade across multiple threads. It didn't make sense in the analytics thread. It doesn't make sense here.

Man o man, you sure can take something and turn it inside out and outside in while twisting my words.

My entire point in that analytic's thread was to state the mistakes this coach staff has made, and only stated they could use some outside assistance in the form of an experienced NFL consultant. RATHER then an analytic's dept. Because Marrone is a rookie HC. Get it right.

Would you post a link to my words in any of my posts where I said that Marrone is unfit to coach!Thanks!

Edited by FeartheLosing

wrong again, perhaps you need the refresher. :D So, I'll post the link again. http://www.buffaloru...ng-matt-leinart Aug 30th,Leinart released, Brad Smith, Kevin Kolb go on IR, and the first game was Sept 8th.

Tuel almost started that first week, and it would have set an NFL record. Because no un drafted free agent QB has EVER started the season for a team in the entire 93 year history of the NFL. EJ & Tuel were the only two QB's on the roster.

Thad Lewis wasn't called up to the team from the PS until after the Cleveland game in which Tuel completed only 40% of his passes. I think that there had to be better options out there then a 40% passer.

I don't know the exact list of available candidates for backup QB, or who the Bills could have traded for that would have helped them win games. All I do know they should have had a better backup QB then Tuel as this coaching staff went into the season with Tuel as the ONLY backup.

Lastly, I don't hate Doug Marrone or Nate Hackett, and up until this Chiefs game I defended them both at various times.

Blah blah blah... you don't know who was available, but the Bills should have had a better option that Tuel...given the chronology of events, who should they have had? Who? I understand your point, but they took a calculated risk that EJ wouldn't get hurt...if he did, in game, they had to go with Tuel. They didn't want to make a roster move, until they had to...you are forgetting, at the same time, almost every starter in the defensive secondary was injured, and many of their backups...you sign someone, you have to let someone go. Have you noticed that there are about 4 other teams in the same predicament the Bills were in? Sign guy like Leinart, Brady Quinn, or whoever....who would you cut? Notice, nobody wants any of the guys being bandied about...the Packers are stuck with Seneca Wallace...good QB's don't grow on trees, starters or backups. Just accept the fact, this is a young, rebuilding team.... Tuel is fine for now, as a third QB. I would hazard to guess, as QB obsessive/depressive as the Bills fan base seems to be, they are in much better shape than a number of teams at the position.

They really didin't go into the season with Tuel as EJ's only backup...they went into the Browns game with Tuel as EJ's only backup. Thad Lewis was on the practice squad, and leap-frogged ahead of Tuel after that Browns game. It was a simple matter of saving a roster space, and not risk losing a guy they seem to think has some possibilities, in Tuel. Do you really think things would be a lot different if Matt Leinart was there?

Jeezus....let the kids develop...did anyone really think this was going to be a playoff team this year? Enjoy this season for what it is, the first in what is looking to be a step back to respectability...think 1986 Bills, not 2006 Bills. They aren't there yet, but they are making strides.

You continue to harp on this Colin Brown and Tuel point as if Marrone gave some personal guarantee that both were studs. You continue to criticize Marrone for personnel decisions which are the realm of the GM. You can hate on Marrone as much as you'd like, but if your arguments don't stand up or you're blaming the wrong guy, expect your opinions to be challenged.

Whether or not the KC game should have been put in Tuel's hands should be discussed in that thread.

As far as I'm concerned the head coach is responsible for every player on his roster, and every player that takes the field. So if he allows a bad player to take the field and stinks it up, it falls on him. He had the entire preseason to determine if the LG position was adequately manned.

Not only was that starting LG the very worst LG in the NFL, his back up was just as bad. So both players were cut loose at week five after the backup center Doug Legursky was able to start at LG, and the GM picked up some players off the waiver wire as backup guards.

The one area that should have been properly evaluated because of all the rookie QB's was that O line, and clearly it wasn't.

I can discuss what I want, in any thread I want! I'm defending the kid because I don't think its his fault he was thrust into the spotlight so soon, and given the bulk of the workload. This thread is about cutting him

Blah blah blah... you don't know who was available, but the Bills should have had a better option that Tuel...given the chronology of events, who should they have had? Who? I understand your point, but they took a calculated risk that EJ wouldn't get hurt...if he did, in game, they had to go with Tuel. They didn't want to make a roster move, until they had to...you are forgetting, at the same time, almost every starter in the defensive secondary was injured, and many of their backups...you sign someone, you have to let someone go. Have you noticed that there are about 4 other teams in the same predicament the Bills were in? Sign guy like Leinart, Brady Quinn, or whoever....who would you cut? Notice, nobody wants any of the guys being bandied about...the Packers are stuck with Seneca Wallace...good QB's don't grow on trees, starters or backups. Just accept the fact, this is a young, rebuilding team.... Tuel is fine for now, as a third QB. I would hazard to guess, as QB obsessive/depressive as the Bills fan base seems to be, they are in much better shape than a number of teams at the position.

They really didin't go into the season with Tuel as EJ's only backup...they went into the Browns game with Tuel as EJ's only backup. Thad Lewis was on the practice squad, and leap-frogged ahead of Tuel after that Browns game. It was a simple matter of saving a roster space, and not risk losing a guy they seem to think has some possibilities, in Tuel. Do you really think things would be a lot different if Matt Leinart was there?

Jeezus....let the kids develop...did anyone really think this was going to be a playoff team this year? Enjoy this season for what it is, the first in what is looking to be a step back to respectability...think 1986 Bills, not 2006 Bills. They aren't there yet, but they are making strides.

Blah, blah,blah you are correct. I don't know what QB's were available and stated such. The Bills had a week to make a trade or pick up someone. They chose to stay with Tuel.

But the team DID go into the season with Tuel as the ONLY backup on the roster, as Thad Lewis was on the practice squad. Do i really need to link it again?

Jeff Tuel currently has a completion percentage of 44.1, and of all the QB's stats listed in the entire NFL only Josh Freeman's are worse at 37.7. Oh yea, remember Freeman? The QB cut by the Buc's that the Bills put in a claim for, only Freeman chose Minnesota. So they were not totally set on Tuel. They took a chance and it didn't work out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/NFL/PYDS/2013/regular?&_1:col_1=9

Leinart sucks also as his completion percentage was 48.5 % in Oakland last year.

I agree with letting these kids develop. My complaint was forcing Tuel into 39 passes (41 drop backs), and carrying the team. The Bills running game was dominating the Chiefs defense and yet the OC called for more passes then runs with a very inexperienced QB behind center.

I remember him sailing it twice... the first INT (bad) and Woods in the back of the endzone. The endzone one he had a lineman with his hands up right in the throwing lane. The ball barely cleared his hand so I don't think he could have thrown it any lower.

As far as the long ball misses, it has to be taken into account that they are low percentage plays in the NFL. And the one to woods was right on his hands. Graham had a legit chance on at least the one that bounced off his shoulder. Possibly also the one on the left sideline that he kind of misjudged and went inside. Not to mention the Goodwin one that was challenged. I've seen him throw it 55 yards in college, which would have been an overthrow for every single one of them, so I'm not sure why some of them were short.

Blah, blah,blah you are correct. I don't know what QB's were available and stated such. The Bills had a week to make a trade or pick up someone. They chose to stay with Tuel.

But the team DID go into the season with Tuel as the ONLY backup on the roster, as Thad Lewis was on the practice squad. Do i really need to link it again?

Jeff Tuel currently has a completion percentage of 44.1, and of all the QB's stats listed in the entire NFL only Josh Freeman's are worse at 37.7. Oh yea, remember Freeman? The QB cut by the Buc's that the Bills put in a claim for, only Freeman chose Minnesota. So they were not totally set on Tuel. They took a chance and it didn't work out.

http://www.cbssports...lar?&_1:col_1=9

Leinart sucks also as his completion percentage was 48.5 % in Oakland last year.

I agree with letting these kids develop. My complaint was forcing Tuel into 39 passes (41 drop backs), and carrying the team. The Bills running game was dominating the Chiefs defense and yet the OC called for more passes then runs with a very inexperienced QB behind center.

To the bold, I've brought this up in other threads and I see you keep harping on this 39 passes and carrying the team.

It's just not true.

Prior to the fumble return for a TD, Tuel had attempted 23 passes and was completing well more than 50%. At that point the Bills had 35 running attempts. They were running the ball more then they were asking Tuel to throw it. Even after his pick-6, they kept running the ball. Hell, even the moron Dierdorf mentioned the Bills were still run heavy and couldn't believe the Chiefs weren't.

The fumble-TD happened in the 4th qtr with about 12:50 left. The Bills were now behind, Tuel HAD to throw. But at no part prior to that and for the VAST majority of the game was he asked to "carry the team".

To the bold, I've brought this up in other threads and I see you keep harping on this 39 passes and carrying the team.

It's just not true.

Prior to the fumble return for a TD, Tuel had attempted 23 passes and was completing well more than 50%. At that point the Bills had 35 running attempts. They were running the ball more then they were asking Tuel to throw it. Even after his pick-6, they kept running the ball. Hell, even the moron Dierdorf mentioned the Bills were still run heavy and couldn't believe the Chiefs weren't.

The fumble-TD happened in the 4th qtr with about 12:50 left. The Bills were now behind, Tuel HAD to throw. But at no part prior to that and for the VAST majority of the game was he asked to "carry the team".

Did he? The Bills didn't even really try and run the ball after the fumble. Why not just keep doing what was working well with running it at 6.3 YPC? This reminds me so much of the way Chan Gailey would panic when the Bills would get behind in a game.

At the 12:47 mark to the end of the game Tuel had 15 attempts passing, and 12 of those were incomplete. The Bills only attempted two runs during that time, one run for 4 yards by Summers, and 6 yards by Jackson. The Bills OC was forcing the rookie QB to shoulder the game at that point. That's the way I see it anyway.

I realize you pointed this out, which is what makes your comment silly, to me. You are up in arms over them not having somebody else, but you can't explain who that should have been. We are talking, at that point, about the same pool of crappy QB's that every team in need is signing and releasing as quickly as they can. The Bills plan, it would appear, at that point, was to keep their fingers crossed that EJ didn't get hurt, and to develop a backup. They already knew they didn't want to expose Tuel to waivers (lets not forget, most everyone was pretty impressed by him in pre-season), and they knew that they had Lewis on their PS. If Manuel could not have gone the first game, you don't think they would have put Lewis in the game day line-up?

Sure, things didn't work out the way they wanted, and we all wish there had been better options...but there wasn't. And nobody complaining about it (sorry, don't mean to single you out, I have seen the point you are making stated by many), still can't come up with a better option than what they came up with. As I said earlier, anybody they signed would have meant letting someone else go..they were already suffering a spate of injuries at other positions.

If I can fault the Bills with anything in this QB situation, it was letting Tarvarres Jackson go, without ever seeing him in game action, in favor of Kevin Kolb, a mediocre journeymen, who is just a career injury waiting to happen. I don't believe Jackson would have saved their season either, but his role on the team could have alleviated some of the anxiety that comes with having nothing but three inexperinced QBs on your roster.

Edited by Buftex

I think it was a difference of only 1 play

It's just not true.

What? We fell behind in the game and had to force the issue by passing more? At one time, we had a run pass ratio of 35 to 23? Are you actually suggesting Hackett was INDEED protecting his young QB?

Seriously, thanks for the perspective in this thread. Hackett called a marvelous game and gave Tuel every chance to succeed. Nothing exotic, nothing he hadn't practiced and prepared for. I'm amazed at the lengths some will go in order to not concede an inch on a point.

GO BILLS!!!

If you don't know who was available then how do you know there were better options? If you can't argue that there were materially better options, then how can you criticize Marrone, who doesn't make personnel decisions anyway, for failing to "upgrade" the QB position?

Do you see the flow? Do you understand how a logical argument is crafted? Way to miss the point again.

http://forums.twobil...#entry2962977 Post #200

http://forums.twobil...00#entry2967921

Post #107

Post #224 of this thread.

Theres three quick examples across three different threads where you questioned Marrone and Hackett's ability to coach based off of your specious reasoning. That took 2 minutes of effort. I'm sure 10 minutes could produce a few others.

Edited by Jauronimo

If I can fault the Bills with anything in this QB situation, it was letting Tarvarres Jackson go, without ever seeing him in game action, in favor of Kevin Kolb, a mediocre journeymen, who is just a career injury waiting to happen. I don't believe Jackson would have saved their season either, but his role on the team could have alleviated some of the anxiety that comes with having nothing but three inexperinced QBs on your roster.

Given the circumstances, letting Jackson go is the only decision that we have any right taking issue with (IMO). I don't much like Kolb, but what else was out there on the market? They've really done due diligence and they made moves that in isolation felt like the right ones for the team:

1) bring in a couple of veterans, let them duke it out in spring, keep one that you like -- let the other one catch on with another team (turns out to be a mistake)

2) See promising play from the rookies, hold onto both because you don't want to lose one.

3) Veteran from #1 faces worst-case scenario. Bring in a couple of journeyman to stabilize the situation (well, more like stopping a LOT of bleeding) = Leinart and later, Flynn.

4) Bring in young vets with very little tread on their tires when anointed rookie starter gets hurt (Lewis, later Dixon).

5) See that rookie #2 is in over his head, adjust and bring in young veteran.

6) Young veteran performs capably but gets hurt, stuck with UDFA rookie #2 again.

All of their decisions subsequent to Jackson's release have had to be reactive ones. That is the only one where they were not competing on the open market for what was left at the bottom of the barrel.

Consider this near-catastrophic QB situation: 1 QB out for season and possibly career, QB of the future's development stunted by several injuries, forced to start 2 practice-squad caliber QBs. That they are 3-6 and have been competitive in almost every game is a miracle, and a testament to a fairly impressive performance by a coaching staff that is also young, learning and simply destined to make some mistakes along the way.

Look at it another way. If they were 3-6 with Manuel starting every game but with the same game results, I think we'd be, maybe, modestly disappointed but buoyed by the fact that this team is not too far away and developing a good QB.

Tuel does not have "future NFL starter" written all over him, of this I am certain. But they drafted signed him with the idea of developing a backup. If they truly believe he is capable of that -- and based on this last game against a tough defense I think he is capable of managing a game and stealing a few big plays -- I don't think you can really blame this staff.

We all want the playoffs, but the next best thing we can ask for is a season of great growth and I think we're getting that, while this year's rookie crop has the chance to be one of the team's greatest draft classes.

If you don't know who was available then how do you know there were better options? If you can't argue that there were materially better options, then how can you criticize Marrone, who doesn't make personnel decisions anyway, for failing to "upgrade" the QB position?

Do you see the flow? Do you understand how a logical argument is crafted? Way to miss the point again.

I think his point is that there were a number of QBs available. Just because posters dismiss those QBs doesn't mean they are correct.

FTL is absolutely correct on his timeline. Tuel was the primary backup for the following games, with the starter in parenthesis:

New England (Manuel)

Carolina (Manuel)

Jets (Manuel)

Baltimore (Manuel)

Cleveland (Manuel, ended up playing)

Cincy (Lewis)

Miami (Lewis)

New Orleans (Lewis)

In other words, he's been the primary backup the entire year except for the game he started. I don't understand how people on this board think that's ok. Manuel was already coming off an injury which increases the chances that Tuel is going to be needed.

We all love an underdog story and everyone loves the possibility that a kid could come in and be a diamond in the rough, but potentially putting the fate of the season in the hands of an undrafted rookie QB who has a weak arm is mind boggling.

While I completely agree that what was left via Free Agency isn't that great, I think it's worlds better than Tuel. Dare I say look at what the Jets did this year knowing that Geno was going to be starting as a rookie. They've had 2 veterans backing him up!! Garrard and Quinn, and a young guy, Simms.

Given the circumstances, letting Jackson go is the only decision that we have any right taking issue with (IMO). I don't much like Kolb, but what else was out there on the market? They've really done due diligence and they made moves that in isolation felt like the right ones for the team:

1) bring in a couple of veterans, let them duke it out in spring, keep one that you like -- let the other one catch on with another team (turns out to be a mistake)

2) See promising play from the rookies, hold onto both because you don't want to lose one.

3) Veteran from #1 faces worst-case scenario. Bring in a couple of journeyman to stabilize the situation (well, more like stopping a LOT of bleeding) = Leinart and later, Flynn.

4) Bring in young vets with very little tread on their tires when anointed rookie starter gets hurt (Lewis, later Dixon).

5) See that rookie #2 is in over his head, adjust and bring in young veteran.

6) Young veteran performs capably but gets hurt, stuck with UDFA rookie #2 again.

All of their decisions subsequent to Jackson's release have had to be reactive ones. That is the only one where they were not competing on the open market for what was left at the bottom of the barrel.

Consider this near-catastrophic QB situation: 1 QB out for season and possibly career, QB of the future's development stunted by several injuries, forced to start 2 practice-squad caliber QBs. That they are 3-6 and have been competitive in almost every game is a miracle, and a testament to a fairly impressive performance by a coaching staff that is also young, learning and simply destined to make some mistakes along the way.

Look at it another way. If they were 3-6 with Manuel starting every game but with the same game results, I think we'd be, maybe, modestly disappointed but buoyed by the fact that this team is not too far away and developing a good QB.

Tuel does not have "future NFL starter" written all over him, of this I am certain. But they drafted him with the idea of developing a backup. If they truly believe he is capable of that -- and based on this last game against a tough defense I think he is capable of managing a game and stealing a few big plays -- I don't think you can really blame this staff.

We all want the playoffs, but the next best thing we can ask for is a season of great growth and I think we're getting that, while this year's rookie crop has the chance to be one of the team's greatest draft classes.

Nicely done.

I think his point is that there were a number of QBs available. Just because posters dismiss those QBs doesn't mean they are correct.

FTL is absolutely correct on his timeline. Tuel was the primary backup for the following games, with the starter in parenthesis:

New England (Manuel)

Carolina (Manuel)

Jets (Manuel)

Baltimore (Manuel)

Cleveland (Manuel, ended up playing)

Cincy (Lewis)

Miami (Lewis)

New Orleans (Lewis)

In other words, he's been the primary backup the entire year except for the game he started. I don't understand how people on this board think that's ok. Manuel was already coming off an injury which increases the chances that Tuel is going to be needed.

We all love an underdog story and everyone loves the possibility that a kid could come in and be a diamond in the rough, but potentially putting the fate of the season in the hands of an undrafted rookie QB who has a weak arm is mind boggling.

While I completely agree that what was left via Free Agency isn't that great, I think it's worlds better than Tuel. Dare I say look at what the Jets did this year knowing that Geno was going to be starting as a rookie. They've had 2 veterans backing him up!! Garrard and Quinn, and a young guy, Simms.

Garrard is as busted up as an Atlantic City streetwalker, and LOLQuinn.

C'mon, man. In a season where you don't yet have all the weapons, and a lot of your primary ones are under 25, having Tuel as your primary backup isn't a sin, it's just an unfortunate circumstance. Kolb and TJ were the plan; Kolb getting a concussion was not part of that plan -- and probably one the team should have accounted for. It ends there. The Bills had what they needed and made a good-guy move that backfired.