Gaughan: Tuel likely starter, 15 of 18 sacks on QB

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember this well...and I am with you. We know Tuel doesn't have a great arm. We also know that Flynn has been remarkably unsuccessful at winning a starting job, twice, when the cards were stacked heavily in his favor. Tuel did not look good against the Browns, very true...but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't do anything well, with a little more time to prepare.

+1

I don't get the argument that Tuel wasn't prepared for the game he had to enter in CLE. Isn't that what a backup QB is supposed to be ready for? He knew the playbook. He had been at all the practices. What was the problem?

You really think he's going to look any different than that tomorrow against a MUCH better defense, because he had a few practices with first team reps? Ridiculous.

You obviously don't know what the second team QB does in preparation for the contest to be waged on a given sunday.

He runs the scout team - which mimics the opponent's O for the first string D to practice against.

Tuel didn't get any reps with the first string team that week. Nadda, zippo, zilch.

Every week a different offensive game plan gets installed to be run against the upcoming opponent's D.

They put in a number of wrinkles, and practice set plays that they think will gain them advantages in the matchups that the key players are likely to face.

Tuel had the benefit of none of that. He's a rookie and has no body of NFL experience to fall back upon to help him overcome that lack of first team reps to prepare for the week's opponent.

Take a **** on him if you will. That's up to you. He deserves a bit more backing from the fan base in my opinion than he's generally getting. He is after all wearing the Blue White and Red of The Bills.

Go Bills!

Take a **** on him if you will. That's up to you. He deserves a bit more backing from the fan base in my opinion than he's generally getting. He is after all wearing the Blue White and Red of The Bills.

For a kid who's been thrown into some hellacious situations while doing his level best to make a living, he gets denigrated to a disturbing degree. I don't get it, but I'm sure of this: the dissing he takes says more about the dissers than the dissee.

Edited by alias

For a kid who's been thrown into some hellacious situations while doing his level best to make a living, he gets denigrated to a disturbing degree. I don't get it, but I'm sure of this: the dissing he takes says more about the dissers than the dissee.

There are posters who use rhetorical phrases such as, "end of story," "case closed," and "(blah, blah, blah) pure and simple." Those who betray such a one-sided perspective and hold their own opinions in such high regard rarely bend to reason, and I generally ignore much of what they have to say. I've been a member of this site for a couple years, now. I rarely post, but I read it almost daily. The fans who take a reasoned approach, temper their judgements with facts (rather than emotion), and who are seeking opinions as much as they are presenting them, are the one's from whom I have learned much about football.

Hellacious situations? A kid gets to go out and play a game for hundreds of thousands of dollars with a chance to bring his team home on national TV but it doesn't go well for him and it's hellacious? Damn, I'd hate to see your idea of a really bad thing.

GO BILLS!!!

My issue is the what seems to be a lack of confidence and toughness from Tuel. He seemed unsure about himself and was more worried about whining for penalties than playing a good QB. He may be just as talented as Lewis, or maybe moreso, but talent alone is not enough in the NFL.

I get it that confidence generally takes time to build up and I'm not saying Tuel will never have it. But Flynn gives you a better shot at not shrinking from the moment. He's been there before. This is a national game and a very important one for this team. I really hope Marrone is considering who has the best chance to rise to the occasion instead of just considering what he sees in practice.

Go Bills!

I used to love coming the the Bills wing of TSW, but it seems like the majority of the fans that post here, do so, primarily to trash players...many who are just starting out, or really don't have enough of a track record to come to any conclusive judgment of their long-term potential. I realize, this is, in large part, an understandable frustration with the constant state of mediocrity our beloved team seems to be stuck in. But, I really hate the way people trash some of these guys...they trash the Super Bowl era guys (when people do this, I just assume they are too young to have realized what they were watching), the crap on the rookies and second year guys...I understand why, sometimes, but I am really tired of it.

I am not trying to embarrass anyone, or question their "fan-hood" (I can't believe I just wrote that), but I just can't stand that stuff, especially when it is so constant. The Bills just drafted a first round QB who played 4.5 games with mixed results (some good some bad), and it has already become common, with a vocal minority (or is it a majority?) that he is a bust... 3 weeks ago, Thad Lewis was the toast of the town...as anyone with a brain cell would understand, a guy like Lewis is, eventually, going to show some warts...but, no, he is already trash...this board had the biggest hard-on for Jeff Tuel in August, and now, after 1.25 quarters of rough QB play, he too is thrown on the scrap heap... I know fans are supposed to root, but do you root for the team and its' players to succeed, or fail miserably (cuz that is what it seems like most of the time here) just so you can say "I always said that guy sucked"?

I don't get the argument that Tuel wasn't prepared for the game he had to enter in CLE. Isn't that what a backup QB is supposed to be ready for? He knew the playbook. He had been at all the practices. What was the problem?

You really think he's going to look any different than that tomorrow against a MUCH better defense, because he had a few practices with first team reps? Ridiculous.

He certainly couldn't look worse than he did, with no reps with the first string for about 5 weeks. You ever have a day at your job where it gets' away from you? Does that mean you suck at your job? Or, did yo just have a bad day? Not predicting fantastic things for Tuel, if, indeed, he does start against the Chiefs, but l suspect he will be a mixed bag of some good things, and some bad things. We just have to hope the good is good enough to overcome the bad things, and we can get a win. It isn't completely unfathomable is it? Anyone remember when John Fourcade beat a geat Bills team, all those years ago, at Rich Stadium?

Edited by Buftex

The moment was too big for him.

GO BILLS!!!

As will tomorrow's moment be.

I can understand why we would think that with a week of practice reps with the first team, that Tuel will be better prepared and do well tomorrow. I'm not buying it. There's just as good a chance that the Cleveland game is in his head, he's reading the social media criticizing his play, and that he will be pressing as a result. We'll know after a series or two if the game will be too big for him. If the coaching staff were absolutely convinced, they NEVER would have split the reps with Flynn to begin with. Not an easy task for Tuel knowing Flynn is gonna come in if he screws the pooch. I just think the kid is a choker.

GO BILLS!!!

Hellacious situations? A kid gets to go out and play a game for hundreds of thousands of dollars with a chance to bring his team home on national TV but it doesn't go well for him and it's hellacious? Damn, I'd hate to see your idea of a really bad thing.

We are talking football here, not cosmological tribulation. "Hellacious" in football terms is when a rookie QB (with no reps that week because of the stupidity that is Thursday night football) finds himself backed up to the Cleveland Dawg Pound.

"Hellacious" in football terms is when any QB (whether rookie, veteran, All-Pro, or Hall of Fame) finds himself facing a defense which, after 8 undefeated weeks, is...

1st in the NFL in turnover margin,

1st in the NFL in scoring defense,

1st in the NFL in sacks, and

1st in the NFL in third down stops.

When my comments are intended to encompass the existential, I will let you know.

I can understand why we would think that with a week of practice reps with the first team, that Tuel will be better prepared and do well tomorrow. I'm not buying it. There's just as good a chance that the Cleveland game is in his head, he's reading the social media criticizing his play, and that he will be pressing as a result. We'll know after a series or two if the game will be too big for him. If the coaching staff were absolutely convinced, they NEVER would have split the reps with Flynn to begin with. Not an easy task for Tuel knowing Flynn is gonna come in if he screws the pooch. I just think the kid is a choker.

GO BILLS!!!

Not really... Thad is hurt which makes Tuel and Flynn the only active, healthy QBs. They have to split the reps, and Thad was not practicing. Tuel was getting the majority of the reps, per Marrone, as he was most likely to start if Thad is not able to play. But Flynn obviously needs to take some reps... he would need to go in if Tuel got hurt or pulled. Not sure why Flynn getting reps is an indictment on Tuel... it is a reality of the situation the Bills are in this week.

GO BILLS!!!

It might be Tuel reading this very thread that prevents him from playing well tomorrow.

It is possible, though, that he could start off with the jitters and then settle in. Manuel started slow in his first few starts. The defense is going to have to be HUGE tomorrow to give us a chance. That's the case no matter who starts at QB, but as someone else mentioned, a much smaller margin for error with Tuel. Perhaps marginless.

I just don't understand if it simply is a soreness issue he is dealing with why Lewis cannot take a painkilling injection and go play. Plenty of other QBs over the years have done the same thing, including Kelly(per his book). Its not an issue where there is danger of causing more damage, simply a pain issue...this is the whole point of painkilling injections...

Is there something I am missing here?