Gaughan: Tuel likely starter, 15 of 18 sacks on QB

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall but Gaughan's always a good read for those who have access:

http://www.buffalone...efense-20131102

Thad Lewis is listed as doubtful due to sore ribs and was not able to throw in Friday’s practice. Coach Doug Marrone said the team would give him more time to see if he can be ready. But the more likely scenario is undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel will get the start. He got more snaps in preparation this week than No. 3 QB Matt Flynn.

And this:

Hackett says that is no indication of how well the offensive line is playing.

“Not at all,” Hackett said. “I’d say about 15 of those sacks are truly on the quarterback.

“Young quarterbacks need to get the ball out. Young quarterbacks need to throw the ball away. Thad had two where he slid and got minus-1 yard. It’s just him trying to make a play not realizing where he’s at and not throwing it out of bounds.”

By The News’ count, the Bills’ offensive line is responsible for 12 of 28 sacks. Six of those sacks are by offensive linemen no longer on the team (four by Colin Brown and two by Sam Young).

Left tackle Cordy Glenn has been outstanding in pass protection. He has allowed only one sack – or 1.5, depending on how one grades. Right tackle Erik Pears has received a bit more help with the presence of a tight end on his side. He has allowed more pressure overall than Glenn, but Pears still has only allowed two sacks, by News count.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordinarily with competent QB play I'd think the Bills would be pretty competitive in this game but the combination of KC's outstanding pass rush and a very green, undrafted QB is not promising for the Bills.

Hali and Houston are outstanding pass rushers.

Hackett is gonna have to call a nearly perfect game and the players will have to execute almost flawlessly.

The Bills margin in this one is very thin.

Start Teul and the Bills lose. KC pass defense is very good. The kid is not ready for prime time. I would rather play Flynn, a veteran, who has more playing time. Teul has potential and needs more work.

Ordinarily with competent QB play I'd think the Bills would be pretty competitive in this game but the combination of KC's outstanding pass rush and a very green, undrafted QB is not promising for the Bills.

Hali and Houston are outstanding pass rushers.

Hackett is gonna have to call a nearly perfect game and the players will have to execute almost flawlessly.

The Bills margin in this one is very thin.

Didn't they neutralize Hali pretty well the last time they played KC?

It's amazing we're at this point debating the merits of starting a rookie UDFA (Tuel) versus a street free agent (Flynn) to replace a guy on his 4th team in 4 years (Lewis).

Injuries happen and the Bills have been very unlucky. In light of that, I don't understand why they decided to sign Kevin Kolb who hasn't made it through a complete season in 6 NFL years. That's a risk a more forward thinking organization wouldn't take, especially considering they might start a rookie QB.

the big question here is WHEN Tuel wins Sunday does Thad get to start again?

Hopefully EJ is back next week and tomorrow will be the last start by a backup QB on the Bills for 10 years at least.

Edited by Right Manuel for the Job

Some of you guys are so fickle. I remember after that pre season game, people were all about Tuel. Calling for him to be number 2 ahead of Kolb. Heck even some wanted to see he and E.J. compete for starting job. He got thrown into a national tv game and looked terrible and everyone is all over the kid. Look, lets throw the kid out there and see what he does. If it doesn't look well remember, it'll be his first time starting in his rookie season........cut the kid a break.

Also, show some trust in the coaches. The obviously want to win. If they don't put Flynn in there, obviously there is a reason for it. They aren't trying to tank games or anything.

Flynn has had 3 NFL starts and only 1 good one. He has only been in Buffalo 3 weeks and hadn't taken a snap/rep until this week. I would rather start Tuel who has had much time with this team and offense.

Flynn has had two(2) very good starts. One was in a meaningless game at the end of the year. The other was a great game at NE. Brady outdueled him but what the heck.

Some of you guys are so fickle. I remember after that pre season game, people were all about Tuel. Calling for him to be number 2 ahead of Kolb. Heck even some wanted to see he and E.J. compete for starting job. He got thrown into a national tv game and looked terrible and everyone is all over the kid. Look, lets throw the kid out there and see what he does. If it doesn't look well remember, it'll be his first time starting in his rookie season........cut the kid a break.

Also, show some trust in the coaches. The obviously want to win. If they don't put Flynn in there, obviously there is a reason for it. They aren't trying to tank games or anything.

I remember this well...and I am with you. We know Tuel doesn't have a great arm. We also know that Flynn has been remarkably unsuccessful at winning a starting job, twice, when the cards were stacked heavily in his favor. Tuel did not look good against the Browns, very true...but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't do anything well, with a little more time to prepare.

Not only that, why release Tarvaris Jackson in June before Training camp/Preseason when injuries are bound to happen? Yes they've been unlucky, but some of it is bad management, once again.

This whole entire mess could have been avoided if Jackson had been retained. I'm not saying he would have been great stepping in; but given the cavalcade of QBs

we witnessed going back to training camp (Kolb, Leinart, Tuel, Lewis, Flynn, Dixon), Jackson would have been more viable for sure.

I don't get the argument that Tuel wasn't prepared for the game he had to enter in CLE. Isn't that what a backup QB is supposed to be ready for? He knew the playbook. He had been at all the practices. What was the problem?

You really think he's going to look any different than that tomorrow against a MUCH better defense, because he had a few practices with first team reps? Ridiculous.

I don't get the argument that Tuel wasn't prepared for the game he had to enter in CLE. Isn't that what a backup QB is supposed to be ready for? He knew the playbook. He had been at all the practices. What was the problem?

You really think he's going to look any different than that tomorrow against a MUCH better defense, because he had a few practices with first team reps? Ridiculous.

I think you should be changing your username for this week, at least. The striking thing is that the phrase works with either Manuel or Tuel.