OT: Greatest Live Album

Nirvjam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

counting crows VH1 storytellers....great acoustic set of some very familiar songs. as always, adam duritz pours his heart out in this ten song collection. good stuff...go get it if you don't have it.

i'll second DMB's red rocks concert. probably my most listened to CD(s) ever. haven't listened to them in a while though...damn mp3s make getting music too easy. its too much work to load a cd into the cd player these days.

ufo-strangers in the night,the tubes-what do you want from live?,thin lizzy live and dangerous

209112[/snapback]

UFO??? You actually remmebr them! That was great Thin Lizzy album! I had forgotten it!

Nice.

Agree with the Heartbreakers and the Stooges choices.  Johnny Thunders is a personal favorite of mine, and the Stooges, well what can you say.  Metallic 2xKO has the extra tracks left off the KO release, including a haunting version of "Open up and Bleed."

I'd add the Ramones-It's Alive, a two record set recorded on New Years eve 1977 in London...a record that everyone should own, Ramones fan or not.  It pretty much showcases why they were the greatest live band of all time.

Also, Lou Reed- Take No Prisoners, recorded at The Bottom Line, 1978.  Lou is particularly on with his stage schtick in this one (his bantering with the crowd is hysterical) and the band is phenomenal.  The versions of Satellite of Love and Coney Island Baby are the best I've heard...I want to play football for the coach...

209162[/snapback]

Great Ramones Album! I think that it's an import! I saw them live several times and found them boring for some reason! The Clash they were not!!!

Some already mentioned..but these have been played to death by me through the years.

Bo Diddley - I'm A Man

The Jam - Live Jam

Tha Ramones- It's Alive

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Elvis Costello- Live at El Mocambo

Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club

The Yardbirds - Live Blueswailing

Joe Jackson- Live in Tokyo

I'd really have to choose between five...and I can assure you virtually no one on this board will agree with any of them.

(3) Harry Chapin: Greatest Stories Live. Features outstanding versions of "30,000 Pounds of Bananas," "A Better Place To Be" and "Mr. Tanner."

209096[/snapback]

I like that album. One of my favorites in my collection.

For others:

Tragically Hip - Live Between Us

The Cure - Show (and the "singles" CD Side Show)

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live

The Smiths - Rank

Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle

1)Dick's Picks any volume is outstanding

2)Live Phish Seris - Check 10/31/94 Glen Falls Civic Center - worth a listen with a complete 2nd set Beatles "White Album"

3)Bob Marley Anything you can find live, this man was a genius.

Rush - Different Stages.  Very personal album for me, since I was at the Chicago show where 2/3rds of the material for the 1st 2 discs came from.  Still the best concert I've ever attended!

209389[/snapback]

Different Stages is awesome indeed. I have a copy of that complete show that you attended. PM me if you'd like a copy. You can read about it here:

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1196

Since you were there you may remember the startling feedback during "Driven" that prompts the "Shake it off Alex" that you hear from a fan on the Different Stages version. This version comes with feedback and all, one of the best boots from the Test for Echo tour.

I'd really have to choose between five...and I can assure you virtually no one on this board will agree with any of them.

(1) The Main Event: Frank Sinatra Live at Madison Square Garden. The intro by Cosell is a beauty, and he really does a great job on "My Way," though he never truly cared for the song...ever.

(2) John Hiatt Comes Alive At Budokhan. Features a rockin' version of "Thing Called Love," which he wrote for Bonnie Raitt.

(3) Harry Chapin: Greatest Stories Live. Features outstanding versions of "30,000 Pounds of Bananas," "A Better Place To Be" and "Mr. Tanner."

(4) Genesis: Seconds Out Suppers Ready version unbelievable... :( 

(5) Blues Brothers: Briefcase Full of Blues. Highly underrated album with outstanding musicians, and such classic renditions like "Shot Gun Blues," "B Movie Box Car Blues" and my personal favorite to end the concert: "Flip, Flop and Fly."

Caught a ride into south dakota

With two girls in a light blue desoto

One’s name was jane, the other was plain

But they both had racing motors

209096[/snapback]

One minor change :lol:

Some already mentioned..but these have been played to death by me through the years.

Bo Diddley - I'm A Man

The Jam - Live Jam

Tha Ramones- It's Alive

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Elvis Costello- Live at El Mocambo

Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club

The Yardbirds - Live Blueswailing

Joe Jackson- Live in Tokyo

209558[/snapback]

Jerry Lee Lewis @ the Star Club - Great choice!

I always prefered Johnny Cash's San Quentin concert to the Folsom Prison one - the Legacy cd reissues on both are excellent.

Two more that I would add to the list:

Bob Dylan - Live 1975. The 2 disc Rolling Thunder recordings from Canada and Massachusetts - amazing stuff.

Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr. - The Rat Pack Live at The Sands.

Always liked Hot Tuna's Double Dose, I know somebody had mentioned that one before. And I'm surprised nobody gave it up for James Brown Live at the Apollo - great stuff.