"The Hughes Thread" aka Stills 69 yd TD

uncle flap

Did stills motion to start the play?

The problem with Byrd selling out his zone or Gilmore his man is that you have a qb tha can exploit either hole left behind. Couple that with the route being effective against either combo of man or zone and I think its hats off to the saints for having the talent to design and run effectively a play that out so much pressure on the defense.

The play action, the routes, etc... All put a lot of pressure on everybody. It's the type of play that should be successful against our tendencies and if anyone messes up it could be 7.

My gut still says we asked too much of Hughes there and he failed, but regardless I think it's mostly credit to the saints.

Yeah Stills motioned right to left to start the play. Searcy appeared to yell toward Hughes, so who knows if there was supposed to be an adjustment on the fly.

I agree it's mostly credit to the Saints. Great play design that would've likely yielded a big completion no matter the coverage. Brees probably looked off Byrd, and also hung into a collapsing pocket with Kyle right in his face.

Edited by uncle flap

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Byrd selling out his zone or Gilmore his man is that you have a qb tha can exploit either hole left behind. Couple that with the route being effective against either combo of man or zone and I think its hats off to the saints for having the talent to design and run effectively a play that put so much pressure on the defense.

The play action, the routes, etc... All put a lot of pressure on everybody. It's the type of play that should be successful against our tendencies and if anyone messes up it could be 7.

My gut still says we asked too much of Hughes there and he failed, but regardless I think it's mostly credit to the saints.

He motioned right over to Hughes and ran right by him as Hughes was looking in the backfield at Brees. Boom! Touchdown!

The problem with Byrd selling out his zone or Gilmore his man is that you have a qb tha can exploit either hole left behind. Couple that with the route being effective against either combo of man or zone and I think its hats off to the saints for having the talent to design and run effectively a play that put so much pressure on the defense.

Stills motions but we dont shift eyes Right? looking at the middle.

Alonso rolls with Sproles right ?

Brees looks off Byrd ? oh boy Byrd should be wiser

Hughes was asked for too much of

Edited by 3rdand12

Yeah Stills motioned right to left to start the play. Searcy appeared to yell toward Hughes, so who knows if there was supposed to be an adjustment on the fly.

I agree it's mostly credit to the Saints. Great play design that would've likely yielded a big completion no matter the coverage. Brees probably looked off Byrd, and also hung into a collapsing pocket with Kyle right in his face.

That's what I thought but wasn't 100%

Motion, play action, etc... Lots of pressure there.

I'd be curious but haven't listened to hear what SP or brees have said about the play

Whats the lesson.

Play the player/play not Drews eyes.

That and sometimes you are just beat pre snap - salvage the play by allowing 10 yards instead of 70. No need to sell out on a play action when you find yourself in that spot. If they get an 8 yard run, so be it... Don't get beat deep though

That and sometimes you are just beat pre snap - salvage the play by allowing 10 yards instead of 70. No need to sell out on a play action when you find yourself in that spot. If they get an 8 yard run, so be it... Don't get beat deep though

thats always the rule.

Would you be suggesting that Pettine put the Bills in a risky coverage ?

I will side that that the players did not respond to the situation

thats always the rule.

Would you be suggesting that Pettine put the Bills in a risky coverage ?

I will side that that the players did not respond to the situation

The play call was a calculated risk. The saints found a way to exploit it, and the players seemed to compound it by not reacting to the pre snap, and pre pass gamesmanship well.

Edited by NoSaint

Without knowing the exact play call, we will never know what was supposed to happen... all I know is that the Bills do a ton of pattern matching w/ their cover guys, and someone has to be responsible for the 2nd vertical route. I think that Gilmore has to know he has inside help there.

I originally thought this was the old run and shoot switch route, and it is similar to it except for Stills runs an out an up instead of a wheel type route.

But make no mistake this was a called shot play from the Saints to get a deep shot.

The play call was a calculated risk. The saints found a way to exploit it, and the players seemed to compound it by not reacting to the pre snap, and pre pass gamesmanship well.

Tis true.

But Bills secondary should have respended better.

They are going to see that again whether Lawson or Hughes have the short area responsibility.

I hate to see a naked quarter or third with an offensive player getting around his cover and headed upfield no matter who is chucking the ball.

And Jonramz ., everyone and their brother new Saints were going to take shots . once they settled in

We are debating a perfect play against us. A great QB. A great scheme breaking plan. A great route run. It made the perfect play that put players in the wrong position to make the play even though they correctly followed their scheme.

I think Byrd should have been prepared for the reciever turning the pattern upfield and then moved over to cover it. I just cannot believe the defense was designed for a linebacker to cover a wide reciever on a deep pattern. I think Hughes was responsible for the short route but no way the long one.

Who is Leodis covering? Stills was on his side, he went in motion to the other side and McKelvin didn't follow him and there was no one there to cover him but Hughes. From what I could see, it didn't look like Leodis was covering anyone.

I think Byrd should have been prepared for the reciever turning the pattern upfield and then moved over to cover it. I just cannot believe the defense was designed for a linebacker to cover a wide reciever on a deep pattern. I think Hughes was responsible for the short route but no way the long one.

Maybe it was designed for Leodis to follow his guy to the other side when he went in motion so that he covered more than empty air on that play? I know the popular thing is to blame Byrd for every bad thing that happens under the sun but still....who was Leodis covering???

Who is Leodis covering? Stills was on his side, he went in motion to the other side and McKelvin didn't follow him and there was no one there to cover him but Hughes. From what I could see, it didn't look like Leodis was covering anyone.

Maybe it was designed for Leodis to follow his guy to the other side when he went in motion so that he covered more than empty air on that play? I know the popular thing is to blame Byrd for every bad thing that happens under the sun but still....who was Leodis covering???

I have never blamed Byrd for a bad play. That being said, it seems unlikely that McKelvin was not where he was supposed to be. It just seems to me that Byrd could have made a better decision on where to go on that play.

We are debating a perfect play against us. A great QB. A great scheme breaking plan. A great route run. It made the perfect play that put players in the wrong position to make the play even though they correctly followed their scheme.

It's very simple when you break it down exactly as you have done here. Why we have so much trouble giving credit to GREAT players and coaches who make GREAT plays against us is lost on me. Yesterday I was accused of "making excuses" for our secondary by suggesting that you need to give credit to the other guys sometimes.

GO SABRES!!!

The one thing I learned from watching the play several times, (for sure, that is) is that Jerry Hughes can really run for a big lb! He got close enough to take a shot at the WR at the 10 yard line.....most lb's couldnt get that close.

Edited by bigK14094

It's very simple when you break it down exactly as you have done here. Why we have so much trouble giving credit to GREAT players and coaches who make GREAT plays against us is lost on me. Yesterday I was accused of "making excuses" for our secondary by suggesting that you need to give credit to the other guys sometimes.

GO SABRES!!!

byrd could have seen what was happening and adjusted but he didn't. We could argue he should have but the play could have gone the other way. The other guy would have had a step and enough for Brees that he could have got it in there to him.

Of course now go back and look at the coulda woulda shoulda....but... if its and buts were whatever the quote says I would sound smarter quoting it.