Going to Nov 3 Chiefs game. R 1 year olds Free if on lap?

COACH85

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem people are having with statements such as the one you quoted is that people freak out when OBD attempts to make rules that may reduce the level of drunken idiots. Obviously, at that point OBD is just trying to ruin their fun. But attempting to have a family friendly environment is considered just craziness. People "should just leave their kids at home". Maybe it's because they know it won't change, or what, but its just nonsensical to hear the words "Don't bring your kid to the game, the drunken idiots might be bothered/bother him/her" I'm guilty of tailgating myself but I agree it is just out of control there sometimes. I would love to take my nephew to games but the crowd turns me off quite a bit to that. Sabres games are much better, I genuinely wonder why...probably the tailgating aspect.

I'm not thinking of drunken vermin when considering this post. I just wouldn't want to sit next to any 1 year old at a football game.The kid certainly isn't going to enjoy it or remember it for that matter. Kind of narcissistic behavior on the part of the adults if you ask me. Parenting means sacrifices, accept it and make arrangements. The atmosphere just isn't conducive to toddlers. It's not exactly like going to a G rated movie. Football crowds are loud and generally try to make things miserable for the opponent. It's just rude and a bit egotistical to bring an infant to an NFL football game in anything other than an indoor club seat, or some other special seating area. Bringing a child of that age into the Ralph just defies common sense.

fwiw the youngest I've ever taken to a game was my son (who was just under three) for the season-opneing Sunday Night game vs Tennessee right after HomeRunThrowback.

He was fine for the first half and spent the second half sleeping comfortably in my wife's lap even though the joint was really rocking that night.

I probably wouldn't take a one year old, but don't have any problem with it. My only suggestions would be to condition him to loud noise a bit before you go (I used to have mine take naps with loudish music playing) and get yourself some aisle seats and be prepared to move around the stadium for changes in scenery during the game.

Hope y'all have a good time!

Yup.

Clearly the OP is more focused on himself and his 'experience' than on what's best for the kid. Modern parenting at its best.

So now we're more focused on ourselves because we rather bring our child with us rather then leave him home? Good one! LOL

I love to hear people stereotype, pass judgement on people AND children whom they have never met.

Well, like I said, everyone entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter though because guess what, we're bringing him to BOTH GAMES! :)

Do we have noise canceling head phones? Yes

Will he be dressed warm from head to toe? Yes

Will we have to take turns as parents taking him to the concourse for changing, feeding him, or just to keep him busy if he starts to get bored? Yes

Is he allowed in the stadium/arena for Free to attend theses Bills/Sabres games? Um, a Big Fat YES?

Will a loud, obnoxious drunk have a better chance of getting themselves thrown out of the stadium/arena then my child? Oh yes, but then again, its not good to stereotype, right? LOL

Will we be guarded and flexible when it comes to how the day plays out and what changes we might need to make on the fly? Yes, thats parenting at its best.

Will our child remember going to these games? Heck no, but we'll have an AWESOME weekend together and it will be even more enjoyable knowing we have our little guy hanging with us rather then if we left him at home.

You see, there's nothing selfish about enjoying spending time with your child, regardless of how old they are, where you are, what you are doing, etc…

Just being together as a family and having a fun filled getaway weekend to Buffalo to see the Sabres and Bills in a 24hour span is exciting by itself.

To us, NOT taking our child would be SELFISH. We're just glad we're not influenced by some of the negative feedback on this board because if we were, we would have missed out on all the fun, pictures, memories we've had taking our son to 6 other pro sports games already.

I can say though WE'RE EXTREMELY THANKFUL AND GRATEFUL to the wonderful POSITIVE people on this board who have supported us to make whatever decision we feel is right for our own child AND they have reached out to us if we wanted to meet up with them before the game, need help exchanging seats, tips on how to make things more enjoyable or comfortable for our situation, etc….. Those are INCREDIBLE forum members who we look forward to hopefully meeting next weekend. Thanks guys. :)

I'm not thinking of drunken vermin when considering this post. I just wouldn't want to sit next to any 1 year old at a football game.The kid certainly isn't going to enjoy it or remember it for that matter. Kind of narcissistic behavior on the part of the adults if you ask me. Parenting means sacrifices, accept it and make arrangements. The atmosphere just isn't conducive to toddlers. It's not exactly like going to a G rated movie. Football crowds are loud and generally try to make things miserable for the opponent. It's just rude and a bit egotistical to bring an infant to an NFL football game in anything other than an indoor club seat, or some other special seating area. Bringing a child of that age into the Ralph just defies common sense.

I much rather sit next to a 1 year old behaved child who is doing nothing more then taking in the game and watching everything going around him or her then sitting next to someone who is obnoxious, cursing, spilling beer on me, taking up extra elbow room, etc….

You have to remember, if the child acts up, a good parent will remove them from the situation immediately so as to not ruin things for the paying customer sitting around them. Can u say the same for an adult who is acting up and ruining the game experience for other paying customers?

Up to you ultimately.

Are there times you do leave him behind for adult time?

OH YEAH, gotta have Date Night with the wifey! :)

P.S. My wife is 4 months pregnant. Oh crap, I should have never posted that, now I'm gonna catch heat for bringing my pregnant wife to the Ralph! :)

We're both hoping to meet up with some Forum Members before game time!

P.S. My wife is 4 months pregnant. Oh crap, I should have never posted that, now I'm gonna catch heat for bringing my pregnant wife to the Ralph! :)

Only if her due date coincides with the Bills making a surprise trip to the Super Bowl this year, causing you to miss seeing the game.

Wow...there seems to be a lot of kid hate on the TBD board. I get people's concerns but if the guy wants to give it a shot and he's responsible what gives. I've only been to 10 or so Bills games at the Ralph but the horrors I've seen were never visited upon children. He's going to hear curse words see a lot of drunks and not understand much of anything. But what's the harm? If anything (with ear protection) now might be the best time to take the little one to a game. He'll have pictures of him self at his first. Bills game to show off if he becomes a bills fan, or laugh at if he becomes a skins fan. He won't get messed up by what he sees and hears because he'll be too young.

I'd say the real maniacs are the people who take kids above 4 and under whatever age you give up on trying to get them not binge drinking, to the games. I think a 14 year old who sees 10,000 adults on the verge of alcohol poisoning while another 65,000 plus cheer is far more influenced / scarred than a 1 year old. And I say that as so one who's been one of the 10,000 at the Ralph. As for the people complaining about kids bothering others at a stadium....how is that even possible. If you are sitting in a section calm and quiet enough to even notice the antics of a kid, you likely aren't at a football game in the US.

Edited by DC Grid

I hope it works out for you as seem dead set on bringing him. I hope you did end up getting club seats or the family section. I've seen far too many fights in the lower bowl and no one is safe when that happens. Personally, I wouldn't bring a child there I was 7 I think when I first went and we sat in the club level because as my dad put it "it was safe". Not trying to justify behavior at the Ralph but you do need to be aware if it. It's not Disney world. It's akin to the coliseum in Rome

Wow...there seems to be a lot of kid hate on the TBD board. I get people's concerns but if the guy wants to give it a shot and he's responsible what gives. I've only been to 10 or so Bills games at the Ralph but the horrors I've seen were never visited upon children. He's going to hear curse words see a lot of drunks and not understand much of anything. But what's the harm? If anything (with ear protection) now might be the best time to take the little one to a game. He'll have pictures of him self at his first. Bills game to show off if he becomes a bills fan, or laugh at if he becomes a skins fan. He won't get messed up by what he sees and hears because he'll be too young.

I'd say the real maniacs are the people who take kids above 4 and under whatever age you give up on trying to get them not binge drinking, to the games. I think a 14 year old who sees 10,000 adults on the verge of alcohol poisoning while another 65,000 plus cheer is far more influenced / scarred than a 1 year old. And I say that as so one who's been one of the 10,000 at the Ralph. As for the people complaining about kids bothering others at a stadium....how is that even possible. If you are sitting in a section calm and quiet enough to even notice the antics of a kid, you likely aren't at a football game in the US.

I think you inadvertently hit the issue most have - do you really take a kid to a situation where people are expected to get rowdy and loud and out of control enough that a kid would go unnoticed/not thought of?

I don't think that's kid hate, as much as kid love and wanting to see the little guy make it through healthy happy and safe.

I also think its fair to discuss the potential impact on parents experience and the person in the seat next to them.

While odds are overwhelming he makes it through fine, if it's primarily for my own entertainment that I'm bringing him- I'd likely say it's not worth the risk to him, don't mean that to be any barb towards the OP - parenting is individual and I wouldn't claim to always right and it seems there are precautions being taken.

I think you inadvertently hit the issue most have - do you really take a kid to a situation where people are expected to get rowdy and loud and out of control enough that a kid would go unnoticed/not thought of?

I don't think that's kid hate, as much as kid love and wanting to see the little guy make it through healthy happy and safe.

I also think its fair to discuss the potential impact on parents experience and the person in the seat next to them.

While odds are overwhelming he makes it through fine, if it's primarily for my own entertainment that I'm bringing him- I'd likely say it's not worth the risk to him, don't mean that to be any barb towards the OP - parenting is individual and I wouldn't claim to always right and it seems there are precautions being taken.

Agreed. I don't buy the statements it is not a safe place for kids. I brought my son to hi first game when he was 7, took him to another one last year & took him to the first 3 games this year. No problems & we sit in the upperdecks. But to bring a 1 year old into this environment is a whole different animal. It is irresponsible plain & simple.

You know, I have had many more plane flights and other close-quarters-type experiences ruined by insensitive adults than by crying or restless kids.

The guy behind me who talks to his seatmate the entire flight, regardless of the time of day or night. And his cousin, the guy who opens and closes the seatback tray table 150 times. The two drunk business travelers across the aisle who burst into laughter every five seconds. The guy who grabs your headrest - or your shoulder, even! - for support while walking down the aisle. The fan in the middle of the 20-seat row who makes two beer runs and two pee runs per quarter. (Hey, stay in the concourse, you'll see more of the game.) etc etc. Not to mention the guys who puke, pee, etc right there in their seats.

Give me a one-year-old any day.

Of course a 2(?) year old about 5 seats down from me just screamed and balled for a full quarter today

Was he wearing a Dez Bryant jersey?

You know, I have had many more plane flights and other close-quarters-type experiences ruined by insensitive adults than by crying or restless kids.

The guy behind me who talks to his seatmate the entire flight, regardless of the time of day or night. And his cousin, the guy who opens and closes the seatback tray table 150 times. The two drunk business travelers across the aisle who burst into laughter every five seconds. The guy who grabs your headrest - or your shoulder, even! - for support while walking down the aisle. The fan in the middle of the 20-seat row who makes two beer runs and two pee runs per quarter. (Hey, stay in the concourse, you'll see more of the game.) etc etc. Not to mention the guys who puke, pee, etc right there in their seats.

Give me a one-year-old any day.

state-farm-da-bearss-hed-2013.jpg

The harm is that I'm going to a game and expect to do things such as stand frequently and yell at the top of my lungs when the opponent has the ball. You don't expect to see an infant next to you where you may not want to do these things. Time and place type thing. Would you go to an animated movie in football garb and scream and shout and cheer? No, you wouldn't ( I hope). Its not about a child's antics, it's about doing things that are common at a football game that would not be common if you were at something else and that kid was next to you. A "one of these things doesn't belong here" kind of deal. The OP says "don't worry, as a good parent will do such and such if this happens, etc. I'd be worried as if I saw someone with such a young child at such an event, I'd probably have reached a few conclusions as too them being a "good" parent. I really don't get the comparisons to the unruly drunk who you can simply ask security to remove, and they will. Totally different circumstance.

Funny how we've taken him to 3 baseball games, 1 football game, 2 hockey games and ALL HAVE BEEN POSITIVE, FUN AND UNEVENTFUL SITUATIONS. Everyone is making it sound like taking our kid to The Ralph is an Unsafe, Uncomfortable, Out of Control, Negative experience to see a football game. I don't believe thats true and although I'm sure we "might" see some unruly behavior, we'll be sure to remove ourselves from that area, even if it means moving from our seat if we feel like we are putting our child in harms way. I give the Bills fans more credit then that though and I think they will be fun and engaging and my son will love every minute of it. If not, off to the Concourse!!!! :) P.S. You think my wife and I won't be up cheering and screaming over exciting plays? Just another reason why we bought him the noise canceling headphones. LOL

Funny how we've taken him to 3 baseball games, 1 football game, 2 hockey games and ALL HAVE BEEN POSITIVE, FUN AND UNEVENTFUL SITUATIONS.

baseball games and preseason football are different beasts than regular season football. like i said, still overwhelming odds all is ok but i would not use a preseason football game as a barometer of what to expect. based on all that game action in the last year though, im assuming youve been to regular season games before, and like i said it seems like you are taking precautions, so best wishes all around. definitely wasnt trying to throw anything negative at you in it, as much as discuss what my thought process would be.

although given the current state of the franchise it may be a bit subdued at 3-5 with a backup qb etc....

baseball games and preseason football are different beasts than regular season football. like i said, still overwhelming odds all is ok but i would not use a preseason football game as a barometer of what to expect. based on all that game action in the last year though, im assuming youve been to regular season games before, and like i said it seems like you are taking precautions, so best wishes all around. definitely wasnt trying to throw anything negative at you in it, as much as discuss what my thought process would be.

although given the current state of the franchise it may be a bit subdued at 3-5 with a backup qb etc....

Thanks buddy. P.S. WE WILL BEAT THE KC CHIEFS ON SUNDAY! :)

Given the Chiefs status of the only unbeaten team left & the mindsight of at least most fans that this is the Bills last chance & a must win if they want to play any meaningfull games after Veterans day & have any impact in the wild card race, if the Bills are competitive the Ralph will be rocking Sunday afternoon.