Is it too early to give Buddy credit for last draft class?

tedstrong

More directed at gg than you. I think Whaley was heavy in the process too. Wasn't meant to discredit his work either.

I think the scouts, coaches, buddy and Whaley all deserve credit for coming together and having a productive room. It's funny I often feel the more vocal half wanted to write buddy out of this season all spring/summer but as guys like AW, Easley, Mario and dareus contribute it's become more accepted that he may have actually created some long term vision and stocked the shelves better than thought.

Well, the OP talks about this draft, not the entire body of Buddy's job as GM. (I think that has played itself out and is becoming more conclusive every day).

But, as was suspected back in January and with little tibdits coming out since that time, as soon as Brandon was promoted, Buddy was a dead man walking. Yes, he was still the nominal GM, but anyone who believes that he was the alpha dog in the GM chair from January to his "retirement" in May is a bit delusional.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I have no bone to pick with Buddy, but the only way to objectively evaluate his tenure as GM is to look at the team he inherited and the team he left behind and the years in the middle --- he did some good things and some bad things --

Ultimately, he is judged for having 3 losing seasons and leaving behind a team that needed additional rebuilding and a new coach ---- in my book, that's a D (at best) ---

Would be interested to know who you heard that from.

As I recall, the video of the "war room cam" clearly showed Buddy and not Whaley on the phone working the deal with the Rams that landed us EJ and Kiko.

Don't believe Rhinegold was released, just became a free agent and the Chargers signed him.

What was the point of the first link? Whaley was promoted in May, after the draft.

Couldn't find the link.

Whaley stated after the draft it was his show, his choices on EJ and this years draft class. Think I saw it on the Bills website.

Couldn't find the link.

Whaley stated after the draft it was his show, his choices on EJ and this years draft class. Think I saw it on the Bills website.

I think the biggest "obvious" clue to the public's awareness of Whaley's increased role, was his role in the coaching hire search. That was Whaley in that hotel room with Brandon in Phoenix back in January.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the biggest "obvious" clue to the public's awareness of Whaley's increased role, was his role in the coaching hire search. That was Whaley in that hotel room with Brandon in Phoenix back in January.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed, but i dont think buddy sticks around if he was merely a puppet and had no control over anything either. i think he was well aware of the transition for years and has been working to help facilitate it. that it has gone smoothly is a credit to both sides.

I think whaley had a lot of the final calls this year as a "test it out," and i think in a lot of ways the two were on the same page.

i think the story of this spring all around is collaboration and transition, and not pointing at one guy as the "jerry jones" in the room.

Edited by NoSaint

agreed, but i dont think buddy sticks around if he was merely a puppet and had no control over anything either. i think he was well aware of the transition for years and has been working to help facilitate it. that it has gone smoothly is a credit to both sides.

I think whaley had a lot of the final calls this year as a "test it out," and i think in a lot of ways the two were on the same page.

i think the story of this spring all around is collaboration and transition, and not pointing at one guy as the "jerry jones" in the room.

I didn't mean to imply that Buddy was a puppet by any means or that he didn't play a role in the process. I'll just say that Whaley was taking input from Buddy instead of vice-versa.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't mean to imply that Buddy was a puppet by any means or that he didn't play a role in the process. I'll just say that Whaley was taking input from Buddy instead of vice-versa.

GO BILLS!!!

wouldnt surprise me a bit. i think a lot of people though take that as "buddy was napping in the corner and it was all whaley" is why i was replying

Edited by NoSaint

wouldnt surprise me a bit. i think a lot of people though take that as "buddy was napping in the corner and it was all whaley" is why i was replying

+1

Whaley was taking input from Buddy, but the decision was Whaley's at the end of the day

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

+1

Whaley was taking input from Buddy, but the decision was Whaley's at the end of the day

Which is another way of saying Buddy returned to his more natural role as a head scout.

Well said Ted. He nailed picks 2-7. EJ is still unknown.

Anyone know what Chan is doing? I really hope he gets an OC job again.

The problem with a draft class like this is our 1st round pick was a QB hand picked to be a franchise QB. EJ has looked very good at times but still looked very much like a rookie QB. Even the game winning drive he led vs Carolina.. He got the headlines, but what did he REALLY do?? 2 checkdowns caught and with solid YAC and even Stevie's catch for 12 or 13 was sorta a checkdown "safe" pass. The one play that could have KILLED us was his checkdown to Freddy in Panthers territory with clock well under a min and freddy fully covered for a small loss. If Freddy didnt drop ball (on purpose, brilliant play that doesnt show in stat sheet) that probably would have cost us game. Would have killed 15-20 seconds and whole drive wouldnt have gotten rushed and probably not executed. A HUGE PI penalty that nulified an int ( I think Stevie would have had a play on ball, but it was into triple coverage and good chance the ball still could have gotten picked or at least knocked down negating a big gain via penalty yards and most importantly, STOPPING CLOCK!

EJ was actually looking his best when he got hurt... Had a couple of gorgeous throws that he finally STEPPED into and showed great mobility getting that big gain on ground but didnt get out of bounds and took hit he had no business taking. If it was dirty hit or not, i personally dont think it was, EJ just got hit in wrong spot and bounced off guy akwardly which led to injury.

His progress is stunted right now not being on field but hopefully he gains new insight into watching the game from press box and sitting next to Hackett like Thad did and can REALLY understand the details and be able to see the other routes other than #1 or 2 option on play and can learn by watching when guys are opened, he has to scan entire field and when you are thrown into fire like EJ was, watching a game on tape and watching live from press box when u are NOT on field allows u to see a lot more, and see little things he wouldnt be able to on field.

This draft class will no matter what be a great class. Kiko is a beast and should be ROY on D and be a cog for years to come. If our O was more wide open and with offense that wasnt called rather vanilla due to inexperience at QB. (Still think Hackett is doing a much better job than given credit for. He understands situation, we are a defensive team, with a great running name and dont want to put too much on the QB where he can LOSE us game. I think Hackett will make big strides in year 2 where EJ will have full offseason and a season under belt. Woods is real deal and will give Stevie a run for who the #1 guy is next yr. Goodwin is never gonna be an every down WR but is a great deep threat and should be given at least 1 WR screen and a reverse a game. With kickoffs being so hard to return nowadays with so many sailing OOB, he needs a few touches per game.

If EJ shows some improvement when he comes back then this would be excellent top end draft class but with next yr's crop of CB;s coming out which includes some REALLY big time prospects especially if some of the 3rd yr sophmores come out like Hundley, Marriota (my personal fav and think he would be a PERFECT QB for Marrone and Hackett but will never happen cuz of EJ pick).

I personally love EJ and think if his footwork gets better he can be a great QB. However, if we were patient and waited another yr, we would have had a SLEW of guys to pick from. Hopefully EJ makes Marrone and FO look like geniuses !

GO BILLS!

Which is another way of saying Buddy returned to his more natural role as a head scout.

i think he was probably more like an Asst. GM that was very trusted in the position, if i had to guess... and as whaley proved effective probably relinquished more and more to him...

Which is probably the role he should have stayed in --

I've known a few of these guys over the years, going back to the 70s, and scouts are a special breed. It gets in your blood and it's no surprise to me at all that Buddy probably enjoyed getting out and seeing prospects more than he did staying in the office after being promoted to GM.

GO BILLS!!!

I get the feeling Whaley was in charge too.

We traded back - Buddy didn't like to trade.

Only one player from the SEC - and it was in the 7th round.

We will never know but Im sure Buddy had a huge input on the board and in the draft room but my guess is Whaley was the final say.

Technically, Whaley was promoted in May. Functionally, he had been taking over more and more of the GM duties upon the completion of the '11 season. It was a show of respect to Buddy Nix to allow him to retain the title until after the draft. And it was the classy thing to do. Also, from a continuity standpoint owed to the year long process of preparing for a draft, it made sense as well.

The level of certainty with which you speak on this topic is impressive.

WHO CARES. This may be the best draft class for the Bills EVER. Robert Woods, Robey (sp) (UDFA); Alonso; EJ Manuel, Hopkins (when he is off IR); and I still think Gagg turns out to be a decent TE, esp. for a 7th rounder.

In terms of the current FO, I like how they are being more proactive than in the past (i.e. signing Lewis, then promoting him ahead of Tuel. Would Chan and Nix have done that, not so sure).

I hear if you click your heels together 3 times and chant "This was Whaley's draft!" it just might come true!!

I get it though, after 13 years of no playoffs I don't expect most fans to be grounded in reality. It's much more fun to use your imagination at this stage.

And while we're at it, also for getting Whaley and for stepping down at the right time. In my opinion, "Well done, Buddy."

I said after the draft that this could be the draft the turns the Bills around. This is the starting point of the turn around, took many years, but it's finally here! Now that's assuming they keep the momentum with more good drafts and FA pickups, if so, playoffs next year....GO BILLS!!!