Bills in Primetime

DC Greg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I read somewhere that all teams have one prime time game every year. Rotating home vs road, if true the Bills will host a night game again next year. I prefer Sunday night, purely due to the guys who call the games.

all teams are certain of getting an Thursday game on national TV. That could change if the NFl sells the package to a network where they will not want dud games.

If Buffalo makes the playoffs or is a 2nd place team just missing the WC by a game or two with an 8-8 record or better then they have a very good shot of getting at least 1 MNF game. If they make the playoffs then they should get 2 or more.

When NBC took over the Sunday night games, the provision was that the games that were supposed to be scheduled for Monday night were moved to their Sunday night package. This way, they get the more attractive matchup and ratings. ESPN then took the original Sunday night games on Mondays.

Then the games were scheduled based on star power and the teams' record the prior year - after last year, the NFL would want to put the Redskins, 49ers, Seahawks, & Falcons on prime time games so they can show off RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, etc. The Giants & Jets would get a handful of prime time games because they're the NYC market. It's an assumption that the teams who were in the playoffs would be good again, thus providing a potentially attractive game to the casual fan. They can't help that the Giants & Vikings suck this year.

Every team does get a prime time game, which is why the Bills got the Thursday night game in Cleveland. They'll get a Sunday/Monday game again when they either make the playoffs or at least contend while EJ lights up the rest of the league.

CBS has protected broncos chiefs therefor it cannot be flexed

Maybe I did not understand the rules. I thought cause Fox had the Doublheader, they could protect that game, and CBS could protect a 1 pm game.

NFL must be pissed as that Broncos- Chiefs game will be shown in what...maybe 20 % of the markets?

Edited by plenzmd1

Maybe I did not understand the rules. I thought cause Fox had the Doublheader, they could protect that game, and CBS could protect a 1 pm game.

NFL must be pissed as that Broncos- Chiefs game will be shown in what...maybe 20 % of the markets?

NFL protection rules for networks......

From week 11-16 (6 weeks) each network has 5 protects to use 1 per week max to protect one game on their network from being flexed to Sunday night. This means each week they can protect one game except for one week where they dont protect any.

The networks usually save the week to not protect a game for a week they either feel the game is a safe bet to stick on NBC or they have no problem getting a game back that would be there and they would be happy to air even if the teams werent necessarily in playoff contention (such as a division rival game)

Week 17 the networks have no protection. The NFL decides which game moves.

protecting games has nothing to do with what time the game is on.

Rememmber from weeks 11-17 the schedule is by default set to 1pm for East/central time zone game locations and 4pm for Mountain/west coast game locations. The only exception to this are games involving NYC teams where the Jets and Giants cant play in the same time slot so they move one of those games to 4pm

when the schedules are released, CBS and FOX can decide which games will be slated for 4:25 that week from weeks 11-17 if they arent by default 4:00 pm games. These games can always be changed by the network a few weeks before if the game is being played in an east/central time zone. An early San Fran/Oakland game at 1pm cant be moved if the other is playing home at 4pm. This year the networks did decide on a few games for certain weeks, but not ones for other weeks.

Om weeks 11 and 13 are their games set to play at 4pm that is not a west coast game location or a Giants/Jets game.

week 11; FOX decided on San Fran at New Orleans for a 4:25 pm slot

week 13: CBS New England at Houston for 4:25 and FOX has Atlanta at Buffalo for 4pm. The past few years the toronto game has been a 4pm game.

@buffalobills

.@RussBrandon on potential flex/primetime games: "Let's change the 1 o'clock #Bills ... We'd welcome that"

possible candidates to get flexed to Sunday or moved to a 4:25 game slot:

week 11 Jets at Bills could be flexed to Sunday because the Giants stink.

week 12 bye

week 13 Atlanta at buffalo is a possibility along with CIN-SD and MIa-Jets

week 14 no chance

week 15 no chance

week 16 New England-Baltimore is safe for now unless Baltimore tanks. Miami-Buffalo is a candidate to be shifted to the 4:25pm slot if not to NBC.

week 17 Buffalo at New England has a decent shot of being flexed either to 4:25 or to NBC. The driver of being selected is that one team needs to win to get a wild card or division title. Ideally they want a game where its a play and the winner gets the division title and the loser goes home. This week there are a few other candidates---Philly at Dallas, Green Bay at Chicago, Baltimore at Cincinati

Nah, Detroit and Dallas on Thanksgiving will never be the night game.

Next year the rule changes and those games can now be the night game. The one catch is, if it is Buffalo or Miami vs Detroit, the replacement game needs to be in the East to fill the 12:00 start time (because Dallas cant).

IMHO leave them as scheduled. I dislike 4:00 or later games (unless I'm traveling on the west coast)

I have to get my fix of Walking Dead at 9PM and a Sunday night game would F that up.

you don't have to be in prime time to be nationally relevised

I like revving up the TV and getting the beer ready for the 1pm game! Anything latter than that sucks.