The Dolphins are not better than the Bills

KikO M G

The Dolphins beat CLE, IND and ATL. They lost to BAL and got blown out by NO. That's one win against a good team and one loss to a team the Bills beat.

I've read a lot this week about how good the Dolphins' defense is. The reality is they're giving up 23 points a game. If the Bills defense can do ANYthing this week, I like their chances to score enough points to win.

Does anyone else feel the Dolphins are a bit overrated so far this season?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATL is a good team poorly coached and very injury-hobbled. The Colts and Atlanta were playoff teams last year. Cleveland - might actually be decent, and it was the week 1 Browns that seem to be a different team than the one out on the field these days.

I think the Dolphins should be thought of as better than the Bills at this point. They are in year 2 of a rebuild with a first-round QB prospect and new-ish coach. We are in the first, and our QB is injured.

The Dolphins beat CLE, IND and ATL. They lost to BAL and got blown out by NO. That's one win against a good team and one loss to a team the Bills beat.

I've read a lot this week about how good the Dolphins' defense is. The reality is they're giving up 23 points a game. If the Bills defense can do ANYthing this week, I like their chances to score enough points to win.

I think the NFL has really achieved great parity this year. Of the teams with the best record, none strike me as the kind of rolling juggernauts we've seen through 6 weeks in years past.

For that reason, determing who the better team is for ANY matchup between teams with 2-4 wins is downright impossible, IMO.

ATL is a good team poorly coached and very injury-hobbled. The Colts and Atlanta were playoff teams last year. Cleveland - might actually be decent, and it was the week 1 Browns that seem to be a different team than the one out on the field these days.

I think the Dolphins should be thought of as better than the Bills at this point. They are in year 2 of a rebuild with a first-round QB prospect and new-ish coach. We are in the first, and ours QB is injured.

Agreed. I'd also add that it looks like Tannehill will make it in the NFL. At this point we don't know that about EJ Manuel.

I think the NFL has really achieved great parity this year. Of the teams with the best record, none strike me as the kind of rolling juggernauts we've seen through 6 weeks in years past.

For that reason, determing who the better team is for ANY matchup between teams with 2-4 wins is downright impossible, IMO.

Well said, Cat. Outside of Denver, there isn't a single team in the AFC that I wouldn't feel confident in us beating. I still believe that the Seahawks and Niners are very strong in the NFC, but we don't have to worry about them. Until February, that is.... :flirt:

Here's my litmus test. If the Bills beat Miami this week, does that mean they "stole" a game against a better team? Or does it begin to reshape the conventional wisdom as to which team is better right now?

I will accept that it is too early to tell which team is better, which is why my premise is I don't believe the Dolphins are better. Perhaps they can prove that with a convincing win on Sunday. Apparently they are favored by a TD or more. I just don't buy it yet.

The Dolphins may be marginally better than the Bills although I am not willing to concede that.

The 8.5 spread and the national groupthink (Dolphins will surely be picked by 95% of the national "experts") is what's more insulting after Thad has already shown a level of competency.

I expect a close game like every game so far. Fins do not run the ball or protect Tannehill and Pettine will surely send heat.

If Tuel has to play then all bets are off.

Edited by Flip Johnson

i think thats true a lot of seasons - you end up with 3-5 teams that can bowl people over most weeks, 3-5 that are trainwrecks and a huge section of about 20 question marks week to week. so much of the nfl is about individual matchups, week to week intensity, injuries and just some lucky bounces that it can be incredibly difficult to project things. part of why its so frustrating that we have been so consistently bad. simply being in the middle of the pack should give us a lucky season or two that puts us in the playoffs.

Edited by NoSaint

i think thats true a lot of seasons - you end up with 3-5 teams that can bowl people over most weeks, 3-5 that are trainwrecks and a huge section of about 20 question marks week to week. so much of the nfl is about individual matchups, week to week intensity, injuries and just some lucky bounces that it can be incredibly difficult to project things. part of why its so frustrating that we have been so consistently bad. simply being in the middle of the pack should give us a lucky season or two that puts us in the playoffs.

Very well said regarding Bills fans frustration.

That said, I maintain that the Jauron era teams had no business even being IN the games they were that bounce away from winning. But that's totally irrelevant at this point.

Well, the recent Bills teams have had a very hard time playing well, let alone, winning in Miami. I've been their for two of them, and as my wife said, "we had to do the walk of shame" down the main street exiting the stadium, flanked on both sides by celebrating Dolphins fans. It's not fun.

Anyhow, I do think we have a legitimate chance this weekend, and, we won't be there to jinx them. B-)

Agreed. I'd also add that it looks like Tannehill will make it in the NFL. At this point we don't know that about EJ Manuel.

Are we sure about this? In 21 games, RT has completed less than 60% of his passes, 7 ypa, has 18 tds, 18 ints, and 9 fumbles. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill Obviously, he's really young but those stats don't scream stud QB. In fact, Manuel was on a better pace than RT was in his rookie year before his injury.

I think these are 2 very even teams but until the Bills can prove they can win on the road, it's hard to pick them. Even when the crowd will be filled with 50% Bills' fans in a 75% filled stadium.

Here's my litmus test. If the Bills beat Miami this week, does that mean they "stole" a game against a better team? Or does it begin to reshape the conventional wisdom as to which team is better right now?

It depends...if Miami is controlling the game and makes a mistake at the end, which leads to a Bills score and a win, then yes...they stole a game. If the Bills control the game throughout and win by 7-10 points, then it's not a stolen game to me.

I will accept that it is too early to tell which team is better, which is why my premise is I don't believe the Dolphins are better. Perhaps they can prove that with a convincing win on Sunday. Apparently they are favored by a TD or more. I just don't buy it yet.

Usually, we'll see the "better" teams come out of the fog by late October or early November. At that point, you can pretty much separate the contenders from the also-rans. Miami looked good the first few weeks and beat an Atlanta team that I didn't think they were better than. NO was too much for them and Baltimore is good one week, bad the next. Hard to tell...

Are we sure about this? In 21 games, RT has completed less than 60% of his passes, 7 ypa, has 18 tds, 18 ints, and 9 fumbles. http://espn.go.com/n.../ryan-tannehill Obviously, he's really young but those stats don't scream stud QB. In fact, Manuel was on a better pace than RT was in his rookie year before his injury.

I think these are 2 very even teams but until the Bills can prove they can win on the road, it's hard to pick them. Even when the crowd will be filled with 50% Bills' fans in a 75% filled stadium.

Yeah Tannehill can play at this level but I think hes a bit overrated in the media. He hasn't done anything to make me say, wow, that kid is good

its close--but i give the edge to the dolphins. they look good

Yeah Tannehill can play at this level but I think hes a bit overrated in the media. He hasn't done anything to make me say, wow, that kid is good

Yeah, he's not awful. I don't ever see him being an elite guy but who knows. His oline does suck in his defense. Of course, that happens when you let your #1 overall pick LT walk.

The Dolphins right now are probably better. I thought their D looked better than ours. The QB is further along as well. It will be a litmus test of sorts as to if the Bills have turned a corner or not. You need to win on the road in the division to be a good team. We haven't done that in ages. A division road win would be huge for this franchise right now, but I just don't see it yet. We just don't seem to make the big plays on the road, especially on Offense.