Best Brady .gif ever

For all the Brady hate here, not many could pull off what he did yesterday. If we play the Martians tomorrow and he's starting.

Great throw at the end. BTW, I re-read a bunch of SpyGate yesterday. Whenever I see the Pats pull off something improbable (especially at home), I think of the oddities (Why are they switching Brady's helmet during the game?) and wonder what rules they broke to get there.

This is obvious holding. That resembles the missed holding calls on Mario we see way too often. Why didnt the line judge or the back ref see that? Answer, they saw it for sure. But they dont call it because the NFL is in love with the Patriots and there isnt any repercussions to the refs for a blatant non call. Too many times the refs influence outcomes of games. Its safe to assume that there is many games that the Pats have won with a big break or a non call. Have they ever lost because of a holding call or PI??? I cant think of any right now..

This is obvious holding. That resembles the missed holding calls on Mario we see way too often. Why didnt the line judge or the back ref see that? Answer, they saw it for sure. But they dont call it because the NFL is in love with the Patriots and there isnt any repercussions to the refs for a blatant non call. Too many times the refs influence outcomes of games. Its safe to assume that there is many games that the Pats have won with a big break or a non call. Have they ever lost because of a holding call or PI??? I cant think of any right now..

There were a few on Cincy's last few drives. These refs get worse and worse...

The NFL is becoming increasingly difficult to watch because the officials are so arbitrary in calling plays. They're either grossly incompetent or being directed to "influence" prescribed outcomes.

Case in point, Dallas/Skins game, on the punt the ball bounces back and hits the Dallas guy in the ass, Redskins fall on it. Their ball right? Nope, the Dallas player was blocked into the ball, thefore Dallas retains possession. What?! The 2 players were engaged, sure, but neither was watching the ball and the ball bounced back, into them. Absurd.

In any and every game there's multiple completely missed or made up penalties, usually overturning big plays. And in most instances, favoring the perceived good story line. Manning is this year's story. Every week, I watch Denver games with a life long Broncos fan and even he is glad to see the favorable calls the Broncos are getting in every game because it seems the NFL wants Manning to get one more ring.

Now, can the NFL make Brady throw a perfect pass on that last play? Can they make dude make a great catch? Can they make Greer come up just short of breaking the pass up? No. So, the players still have to perform. But, the NFL can certainly allow certain teams the opportunity to make those game winning plays by ignoring certain calls or fabricating others. It happens in every game, every week.

Stupid, inconsistent, and arbitrary refereeing is just part of today's NFL. It's good for ratings, its good for dollars, so I guess its good for the league.

The NFL is becoming increasingly difficult to watch because the officials are so arbitrary in calling plays. They're either grossly incompetent or being directed to "influence" prescribed outcomes.

Case in point, Dallas/Skins game, on the punt the ball bounces back and hits the Dallas guy in the ass, Redskins fall on it. Their ball right? Nope, the Dallas player was blocked into the ball, thefore Dallas retains possession. What?! The 2 players were engaged, sure, but neither was watching the ball and the ball bounced back, into them. Absurd.

In any and every game there's multiple completely missed or made up penalties, usually overturning big plays. And in most instances, favoring the perceived good story line. Manning is this year's story. Every week, I watch Denver games with a life long Broncos fan and even he is glad to see the favorable calls the Broncos are getting in every game because it seems the NFL wants Manning to get one more ring.

Now, can the NFL make Brady throw a perfect pass on that last play? Can they make dude make a great catch? Can they make Greer come up just short of breaking the pass up? No. So, the players still have to perform. But, the NFL can certainly allow certain teams the opportunity to make those game winning plays by ignoring certain calls or fabricating others. It happens in every game, every week.

Stupid, inconsistent, and arbitrary refereeing is just part of today's NFL. It's good for ratings, its good for dollars, so I guess its good for the league.

What i find is "made up calls" are more often fans not understanding the intricacies of the rules.

In this case, while it looked pretty blatant, I'd bet you'd be hardpressed to find an offensive holding call on a last second play- it's rare for anyone, pats included. Earlier in that drive, maybe but on a final play refs traditionally will let them play unless it's a ridiculous pass interference. That same concept holds across nearly every sport at almost any level. Refs let guys play and stuff flags deep in their pockets on the last play of a game. While it was clearly the wrong call by the letter of the rule, it's a spot that I think every player knows it's going to be rare to see the flag

Edited by NoSaint

What i find is "made up calls" are more often fans not understanding the intricacies of the rules.

In this case, while it looked pretty blatant, I'd bet you'd be hardpressed to find an offensive holding call on a last second play- it's rare for anyone, pats included. Earlier in that drive, maybe but on a final play refs traditionally will let them play unless it's a ridiculous pass interference. That same concept holds across nearly every sport at almost any level. Refs let guys play and stuff flags deep in their pockets on the last play of a game. While it was clearly the wrong call by the letter of the rule, it's a spot that I think every player knows it's going to be rare to see the flag

" but on a final play refs traditionally will let them play unless it's a ridiculous pass interference"

Go re-watch 1998 Bills at Patriots, the "just give it to them" game. Still gets me 15 yrs later

Edited by fan_in_tx

" but on a final play refs traditionally will let them play unless it's a ridiculous pass interference"

Go re-watch 1998 Bills at Patriots, the "just give it to them" game. Still gets me 15 yrs later

I'm well aware. And that it's 15 years later and still stands out as such an aberration underscores my point I think

take this to pats board.....you can be "awed" with the rest of that forsaken (in so many ways) commonwealth.

don't worry, I've been a BIlls fan since before you were born, now back to your algebra homework, it's almost bed time

But that's all part of it, the intricacies of the rules make it so no one, not even players, truly know what's good and what's not any more. So, the refs can call whatever they want to suit their whims at the moment. To this day, no one really knows what the tuck rule is because they invoke it at arbitrary times. What's considered a "football move"? You can't dive at a QBs knee, but you go for the sack by grabbing his legs. There's so many judgement call, subjective rules in the books that no one understands them. Add in inconsistent calls and it all leads to a contrived game story.

Regardless of when the hold, as pointed out in this thread, ocurred it was a blatant hold. It should be called. Period. To say it was the last play; therefore, just let them play is just confirming the fact that the refs pick and choose when to enforce penalites to encourage certain out comes.

well-- to a point what u say is true. but if a hold directly affects the outcome of a play it should probbly be called. A PI when 2 guys are fighting for the ball and its marginal should never be called i agree.

the guy woulda sacked or messed up that last throw by brady no doubt.--if its a hold way out of the play--or if its a marginal hold--sure let it go.

I can think of one offhand not long ago - Dallas@Washington opening night, McNabb's first game in Wash. That was the most popular team losing on Nat'l TV and there wasn't even much controversy because it was so blatant. There's probably a bunch of others that nobody remembers because the penalties were declined after not being completed for TD's.

This hold was even more blatant. It's the sort of hold that the color announcer laughs at the replay and invariably says "haha that'll draw the laundry every time!". Except when it doesn't in which case they pretend it didn't happen and if questioned about it, mumble something about letting the players decide it.

Your point holds more water in basketball imo where refs are afraid of a marginal foul deciding a game. Big penalties in football that extend drives and/or decide games happen all the time (more often Roughing the Passer or PI than holding but whatever)..

Edit: Here is the Dallas game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv_0CHDkGe4

Pretty blatant but comparatively speaking, at least this guy only got 1 arm around the neck and let go.

Edited by BuffOrange

I can think of one offhand not long ago - Dallas@Washington opening night, McNabb's first game in Wash. That was the most popular team losing on Nat'l TV and there wasn't even much controversy because it was so blatant. There's probably a bunch of others that nobody remembers because the penalties were declined after not being completed for TD's.

This hold was even more blatant. It's the sort of hold that the color announcer laughs at the replay and invariably says "haha that'll draw the laundry every time!". Except when it doesn't in which case they pretend it didn't happen and if questioned about it, mumble something about letting the players decide it.

Your point holds more water in basketball imo where refs are afraid of a marginal foul deciding a game. Big penalties in football that extend drives and/or decide games happen all the time (more often Roughing the Passer or PI than holding but whatever)..

Generally speaking, I agree it should've been called probably in this case, as galette had a good chance to get there - was just pointing out that on a final play a ref is incredibly unlikely to toss it regardless of team- that this was less likely a case of helping the pats and instead a buzzer beater with the game on the line let the players play situation. As a bills fan and a saints ticket holder I'm very invested in that call but still think its a little less nefarious than portrayed by some.

But that's all part of it, the intricacies of the rules make it so no one, not even players, truly know what's good and what's not any more. So, the refs can call whatever they want to suit their whims at the moment. To this day, no one really knows what the tuck rule is because they invoke it at arbitrary times. What's considered a "football move"? You can't dive at a QBs knee, but you go for the sack by grabbing his legs. There's so many judgement call, subjective rules in the books that no one understands them. Add in inconsistent calls and it all leads to a contrived game story.

Regardless of when the hold, as pointed out in this thread, ocurred it was a blatant hold. It should be called. Period. To say it was the last play; therefore, just let them play is just confirming the fact that the refs pick and choose when to enforce penalites to encourage certain out comes.

Refs have never been under more scrutiny. While they do have to make a lot of judgement calls, of course that should be the case when governing 22 players and a ball in an infinite number of situations.

If you want every call called identically on every play of every game, every week - it's simply not going to happen. The hope is they call them fair both ways.

Tuck rules and football moves get drilled into these refs hours upon hours every year. They get it but sometimes at high speed and weird angles it's a damn hard call to make. The tuck rule really isn't all that complicated, it's just hard to judge sometimes