This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

Although there are some encouraging signs, it is too early for an informed opinion. The sign of a great coach is the ability to get the most out of the talent that he has to work with, having them on the field when they should be there and in the right position, and providing schemes and plays for them to be successful LIke him or not, Belichick is the master at this. We have also not seen enough game day coaching decisions in critical situations to render an informed opinion.

I was definitely upset that he did not ice the kicker in OT. 46 yards is not a gimme and you want that kicker to kick that distance back-to-back.

That is fine... I think overall it tends to work better when everyone comes in at the same time. They are more committed to their guy, the guy fits the system, etc. You see situations like the Jets where thye got of the GM and the new one drfts a QB, but they kept the coach and the old QB who were kind of married to each other, soap opera ensues prior to Sanchez injury. Same thing in Tampa. You even have seen the issues with the Redskins and Shanahan/RG3. Also, you saw it in SF when Harbaugh ultimately felt more comfortable going with the guy he drafted even though Smith was not doing bad last year. If you are going to draft a franchise QB, the old one better be gone (good move letting Fitz walk) and bring in a new staff who has a role in drafting their QB. Colts did the same - cleaned house from the top the year they took Luck.

Completely agree...In fact the injury to Sanchez came as a blessing in disguise as otherwise this would have been a non-stop drama for the NY Jets.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with Marrone at head coach. What really has my eyes open is the shots we're taking downfield. Marrone said to us that one thing about him is that he's a straight shooter and will tell us the way things really are. He said that with EJ, they had plays called for him where his 1st option was to take a shot down the field, yet, EJ is known for little dunk passes and checkdowns. But Thad on the other hand, is taking shots down the field.

Could it be that EJ is the one scared to throw down the field vs. Hackett not calling a play where he CAN throw down the field?

I'm fine with Marrone at head coach. What really has my eyes open is the shots we're taking downfield. Marrone said to us that one thing about him is that he's a straight shooter and will tell us the way things really are. He said that with EJ, they had plays called for him where his 1st option was to take a shot down the field, yet, EJ is known for little dunk passes and checkdowns. But Thad on the other hand, is taking shots down the field.

Could it be that EJ is the one scared to throw down the field vs. Hackett not calling a play where he CAN throw down the field?

Yes. EJ will gain confidence on the downfield throws but right now I think he is scared to throw an INT.

I don't care for Marrone so far

His game management skills suck, and his 'analytic' hype has proven to be frivolous thus far

He honestly just comes across as another meathead 'Type A' authoritarian type that usually does nothing in sports today

At least he's been better than Gailey, though

I was definitely upset that he did not ice the kicker in OT. 46 yards is not a gimme and you want that kicker to kick that distance back-to-back.

Icing the kicker is stupid. There is no proof that it works in any way.

I don't care for Marrone so far

His game management skills suck, and his 'analytic' hype has proven to be frivolous thus far

He honestly just comes across as another meathead 'Type A' authoritarian type that usually does nothing in sports today

At least he's been better than Gailey, though

In fact, some kickers say it actually helps them by giving them more time to line up their kick and make adjustments

CBF

Agreed. icing is a dumb move. If a kicker is going to miss or have blocked a 40-something yarder it's going to be on that first kick. The 2nd chance kick is when they always nail it. I'd always take my chances on the kicker missing the first one.

I'm speaking to Marrones body of work to date.

Overrated.

Dude, that is harsh. We have been in every game this year, losing to the Pats and Bengals on the final play, and to the Browns because we had no one to play backup QB. But more than that, have you looked at the talent level of our roster compared to most in the NFL?? It is easily still in the bottom third of the league. Not much at WR and TE. Weak on the Oline almost across the board. And playing w backups all throughout the secondary due to injury. And how many studs do we really have in the front seven? I see one in Alonso w Lawson being a very solid player. The D line is average at best across the board. And that includes Mario, K Williams and Dareus. Seriously, how many top end players are on the roster that Marrone inherited? Not many my friend. Marrone has done an excellent job w the roster he was given. When Leodis McKelvin is one of your best defenders, the talent level is not good. But he has the team scratching, clawing and fighting in every game. We may not win more than we did last year. But give the team an offseason to stock up at several positions, and get more experience at the QB position between EJ, Lewis and Flynn, and next year we will be smokin. (Tuel should have been cut yesterday) This offseason will tell a whole lot about where this Bills team is headed. But Marrone is NOT overrated!!

And whose fault is that?

I would say....unfortunate luck?? Seriously, they've explained why they kept Tuel on the active roster...because they believe in him long-term and didn't want another team to scoop him up while on the Practice Squad after a solid showing in the Pre-Season....and when Kolb went down, they felt it better to hope for EJ's health than to sign another player who may only add to the confusion...I mean, if the Flynn situation had presented itself before the beginning of the season, and EJ struggled, who would have been calling for EJ to sit and Flynn to play?? Instead, they showed a vote of confidence in their young QB and allow him a wide berth to develop and gain necessary experience. For God's sake...GET OVER IT! And if Marrone didn't have a crystal ball to know exactly when and how EJ was going to get injured....well then color me shocked....injuries apart of the game, yes...over-reactive to them BEFORE they happen, not prudent....let....it....go dude

Dude, that is harsh. We have been in every game this year, losing to the Pats and Bengals on the final play, and to the Browns because we had no one to play backup QB. But more than that, have you looked at the talent level of our roster compared to most in the NFL?? It is easily still in the bottom third of the league. Not much at WR and TE. Weak on the Oline almost across the board. And playing w backups all throughout the secondary due to injury. And how many studs do we really have in the front seven? I see one in Alonso w Lawson being a very solid player. The D line is average at best across the board. And that includes Mario, K Williams and Dareus. Seriously, how many top end players are on the roster that Marrone inherited? Not many my friend. Marrone has done an excellent job w the roster he was given. When Leodis McKelvin is one of your best defenders, the talent level is not good. But he has the team scratching, clawing and fighting in every game. We may not win more than we did last year. But give the team an offseason to stock up at several positions, and get more experience at the QB position between EJ, Lewis and Flynn, and next year we will be smokin. (Tuel should have been cut yesterday) This offseason will tell a whole lot about where this Bills team is headed. But Marrone is NOT overrated!!

The only point I will disagree with is how "barren" the talent is on this team...I look at Dareus and think he can still be one hell of a player, KW hasn't been healthy for two seasons, Mario Williams is a super DE who can apply the pass rush and we've seen pieces of that...Gilmore is a true lockdown Corner in the making and Byrd, whether he stays or not is another question, is very talented, just on Defense. Stevie made Revis Island look like Disney Resorts, Spiller is the one of the most electrifying runners in the NFL today, Wood is as solid as they come and Glenn is still on the learning curve, but very talented...add in Goodwin and Woods and you've got yourself some real good beginnings....is it perfect? NO! But as you would say, how many teams have superstars at every position? Even the Bengals: AJ Green....who are they other receivers that are so talented you must take notice? Giovanni Bernard was over looked by everyone until Hard Knocks....Geno Atkins is a stud at DT, but no one really talks about the others...Harrison is not his old self and a FA....they are a very good team and have a great deal of talent, but it's not like everywhere you turn there's pro-bowlers....

49ers: Aldon Smith, a cluster....Gore is aging and Vernon Davis is the real star on that team while Kap can be great or he can be average, still young and developing

Seahawks: Lynch most games, but he's about to be middle aged in RB terms, Sherman is stellar and Wilson is very good....who are there top tier WRs?? Rice? Harvin? Both good, but superstars...I think not...

Patsies: Brady obviously, Wilfork is a beast...Vollmer very good and Gronk when he returns...WRs are young and have been part of their struggles and inconsistency at RB is an issue...a secondary that is not great and a LBing core that needs work....

Miami: a lot of FA talent, but no one has stood out individually

Atlanta: Matty Ice and Julio Jones....no one else makes that team look "super"....Gonzalez is good, but aging. Osi the same and SJax cant' stay healthy....

Denver: this team, might be the most complete in terms of "superstars", Peyton, Thomas, Welker, Von Miller, Champ Bailey, Clady, etc....and yet, it's taken a lot of FA, good drafting, and some luck to make a "wonder" team....they are th exception and not the rule you allude to....

Pitt: Need I say more??

Jets: Superstars?? None I can think of....a lot of good players who fill their role, yes.

Ravens: Rice and Flacco....arguably Suggs, that's it....

Jax: Cecil Shorts in Fantasy Football and Blackmon, the rest are fodder for fielding a "team"

Saints: Brees, Graham, maybe Sproles and Colston, but those last two are a bit of a stretch for "superstars", which apparently seems to be your expectation for nearly all players at all positions...Defense is greatly improved with a few key young players and much better coaching

Browns: Gordon, Cameron, and Haden....the rest? See Jets above

Kansas City: Charles.....that's it....every other player, despite their high draft position, are just now starting to play as expected due to incredible coaching...it's the Reid factor...don't think so? Look at their roster this year versus last....except for Alex Smith, it's nearly identical (drafted players notwithstanding of course)

I went through all these examples because I wanted to show, save Denver, every team has a few very talented, rare physical specimens that demonstrate incredible skill at their respective positions, but most of the teams are comprised of good to very good players who fit into the system they play....and the teams not doing well, typically are teams in transition or teams whose coaches are not redefining their expectations based upon personnel availability....that's what I like about Marrone. His expectations for winning remain constant but his willingness to adapt to get there is open for change.

Btw, I was just making a point....hope that didn't come across as hostile or argumentative...

I would say....unfortunate luck?? Seriously, they've explained why they kept Tuel on the active roster...because they believe in him long-term and didn't want another team to scoop him up while on the Practice Squad after a solid showing in the Pre-Season....and when Kolb went down, they felt it better to hope for EJ's health than to sign another player who may only add to the confusion...I mean, if the Flynn situation had presented itself before the beginning of the season, and EJ struggled, who would have been calling for EJ to sit and Flynn to play?? Instead, they showed a vote of confidence in their young QB and allow him a wide berth to develop and gain necessary experience. For God's sake...GET OVER IT! And if Marrone didn't have a crystal ball to know exactly when and how EJ was going to get injured....well then color me shocked....injuries apart of the game, yes...over-reactive to them BEFORE they happen, not prudent....let....it....go dude

Seriously?

I know he wasn't with us that long (to no fault of ANYONE'S) but this selective memory (or lackthereof) when it comes to Kevin Kolb keeps getting more and more astonishing.

Please don't tell me what to do, and yes, seriously.

After the Kolb injury, Coach Marrone had plenty of time to find someone else. We could have picked up Dixon or Vince Young or David Carr or even taken Thaddues off the Practice Squad and had him ready. Showing a vote of confidence or being afraid someone else would take Tuel Time (this one does puzzle me) or whatever, DID NOT WORK. We lost a game because of it as you pointed out. That falls on the Head Coach. Surely you and the Big Cat are not so far deep in Coach Marrone's back pocket you can't see that. The coach is responsible for having a backup QB or backup RB or backup LT ready to go in case of injuries which do happen in the NFL.

Edited by reddogblitz

Still see the same problems with this team. Under utilized offensive personell with speed. They don't design plays well to utilize some of these wr's. For all the speed Spiller/Graham/Goodwin, and hell even EJ have more can be done. Under physicial on defense. Although there are some players who are impressive, and over time in this scheme I believe we'll get better, but too often get pushed around at the los in the run game, and no consistent pocket push on pass rush. Our front 4 should be much better than they are, but it only happens in spurts. This really shows up in divisional games. Not impressed yet, but there's encouraging signs that it can be fixed without a overhaul

People can nitpick some of Marrone's in game decisions to death (all coaches make good and bad decisions).. Fact is he has instilled a level of toughness and an "expect to win" and no quit attitude. Under his leadership he and his staff are changing the culture in Buffalo.

People can nitpick some of Marrone's in game decisions to death (all coaches make good and bad decisions).. Fact is he has instilled a level of toughness and an "expect to win" and no quit attitude. Under his leadership he and his staff are changing the culture in Buffalo.

The 3-4 record is pretty standard fare for Bills fans who are used to 6-10 and 7-9 records, BUT I agree with you that the culture has changed. The Bills are not anywhere close to being the clowns of the league or an embarrassment.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Please don't tell me what to do, and yes, seriously.

After the Kolb injury, Coach Marrone had plenty of time to find someone else. We could have picked up Dixon or Vince Young or David Carr or even taken Thaddues off the Practice Squad and had him ready. Showing a vote of confidence or being afraid someone else would take Tuel Time (this one does puzzle me) or whatever, DID NOT WORK. We lost a game because of it as you pointed out. That falls on the Head Coach. Surely you and the Big Cat are not so far deep in Coach Marrone's back pocket you can't see that. The coach is responsible for having a backup QB or backup RB or backup LT ready to go in case of injuries which do happen in the NFL.

Tuel had played extremely confidently in the pre-season. No coach is going to put him in on the PS and promote Lewis. When the real bullets flew, Tuel was not ready. Coach admitted so much about the decision and rightly made the switch. There is no easy way to find this without seeing it first hand.