This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

I liked this hire when it happened, I love it now. Yes- we can nitpick a few things but this guy, as the CEO of the coaching staff, can definitely coach these guys up. All 4 home games have been down to the wire, exciting as hell....2 wins, 2 losses. The two road games have been winnable. There are rookies at key positions and some very iffy injury replacements in there. Just listening to him after today's game, he was not pleased with taking Cinci to OT...he gets it. Winning is all that matters, not good showings. I just think Marrone over 2-3 years is really going to get this thing rolling. The only things I can really criticize are having Tuel as backup QB, Not Thad...and going for it on 4th and goal today early. I was screaming to kick the FG.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this, although some will take it as an opportunity to list all the calls he made that didn't work. FYI - you can do this for ANY NFL HC. Marrone is the best HC we have had here in a loooooong time. and I am not sure there are that many I would trade him for given the particular state of this team and the players on it.

I'm waiting to see how well he learns from his mistakes. He has the right attitude. I liked how in his presser when asked if he could highlight some positives he basically said it's hard to do that when the only thing that matters is the W. He's not going to settle for moral victories. Let's see if he can figure out how to get beyond them and get us real victories.

Thanks for posting this, although some will take it as an opportunity to list all the calls he made that didn't work. FYI - you can do this for ANY NFL HC. Marrone is the best HC we have had here in a loooooong time. and I am not sure there are that many I would trade him for given the particular state of this team and the players on it.

I will say he's the one coach that's been through here that I want to succeed the most. He's definately doi something right because I haven't seen this team compete like this in years.

If Boomer Esiason were in charge of our 4th down calls we would've had 3 more points. Wait no, actually we would've kicked on 4th&8 instead of throwing a TD to Chandler, and then we would've needed a 2pt conversion to tie at the end (which we probably don't get if the 4th&1 is any indication).

It was hard to listen to his uber-conservative verbal diarrhea all game long. There he is cherry-picking examples of 4th downs not working but conveniently he doesn't mention that the FREAKING BENGALS (the team that's playing in the game he's announcing) beat the Patriots just last week largely because they went for it on the goaline and Belichick didn't.

Hopefully that's the last time that mouth-breathing Simms clone is in the booth.

Edited by BuffOrange

I'm waiting to see how well he learns from his mistakes. He has the right attitude. I liked how in his presser when asked if he could highlight some positives he basically said it's hard to do that when the only thing that matters is the W. He's not going to settle for moral victories. Let's see if he can figure out how to get beyond them and get us real victories.

They had Thad Lewis, TJ, Goodwin, Woods, as the WR's and still managed to hang 24 on Cinci who is a very good team.

This

If Boomer Esiason were in charge of our 4th down calls we would've had 3 more points. Wait no, actually we would've kicked on 4th&8 instead of throwing a TD to Chandler, and then we would've needed a 2pt conversion to tie at the end (which we probably don't get if the 4th&1 is any indication).

It was hard to listen to his uber-conservative verbal diarrhea all game long. There he is cherry-picking examples of 4th downs not working but conveniently he doesn't mention that the FREAKING BENGALS (the team that's playing in the game he's announcing) beat the Patriots just last week largely because they went for it on the goaline and Belichick didn't.

Hopefully that's the last time that mouth-breathing Simms clone is in the booth.

Boomer was awful calling the game today - totally for Cinci. He should be banned from calling Bengals games....

They had Thad Lewis, TJ, Goodwin, Woods, as the WR's and still managed to hang 24 on Cinci who is a very good team.

You can spin it any way you want. We had all the momentum in OT and still managed a 3 and out inside our own 20. Moorman gave our coverage units plenty of time to get downfield and they still managed to let that guy return it inside our 40.

Marrone expects his guys to perform, as do I. Anything less than a win is not good enough. That's how you get better. There's a lot to be optimistic about, but at the end of the day, we had another chance to win and dropped the ball. Figure out what went wrong, correct it, and go get the W next week.

Edited by Big C

Dick Jauron in 3 years didn't botch coaches challenges to the extent Doug Marrone has done in his first 6 games.

Dick Jauron coached teams in 3 years didn't total the amount of watchable football that Marrone has gotten out of any one of the games he's coached this season, save maybe the Jets game. The only hope Jauron had was to bore the other team to sleep, then coach not to lose to them.

Nothing has changed with Marrone.

Injuries, no depth, poor coaches challenges, poor time management, losing close games.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Atleast while the constant Russ Brandon has been around

Did I miss something? How is Marrone at fault for today's loss? He didn't make any dumb challenges, he is making a lot of roster adjustments on the fly to help battle the injury bug as well as the underperformance bug. I thought clock management was OK too.

This team looks so much better than last year's team, even if the record doesn't reflect that yet.

Did I miss something? How is Marrone at fault for today's loss? He didn't make any dumb challenges, he is making a lot of roster adjustments on the fly to help battle the injury bug as well as the underperformance bug. I thought clock management was OK too.

This team looks so much better than last year's team, even if the record doesn't reflect that yet.

I'm speaking to Marrones body of work to date.

Overrated.

Marrone is fine, but Hackett is clearly a problem.

The guy simply does not understand how to attack defenses.

Am I the only one that thought the offense looked the best it has all year today? Hackett drew up plays that actually worked to CJ's strength. He dialed up some great pass plays and we were again able to get over 100 yards rushing on a solid run D. Maybe it's the result of having Thad and/or Goodwin out there, but I actually had faith in this squad to get down the field. I didn't like the 4th down call on the goal line, but it's not his fault Freddy couldn't get in there the first 3 plays. Our OT drive was screwed up by Cordy's false start, but I don't think 2 run plays on 1st and 2nd down was the right thing to do.

I'm speaking to Marrones body of work to date.

Overrated.

I feel like you have to give him a pass on the first few weeks, as a rookie HC. I think he's been better the last couple weeks, with plenty of weeks left to continue the improvement.

Am I the only one that thought the offense looked the best it has all year today? Hackett drew up plays that actually worked to CJ's strength. He dialed up some great pass plays and we were again able to get over 100 yards rushing on a solid run D. Maybe it's the result of having Thad and/or Goodwin out there, but I actually had faith in this squad to get down the field. I didn't like the 4th down call on the goal line, but it's not his fault Freddy couldn't get in there the first 3 plays. Our OT drive was screwed up by Cordy's false start, but I don't think 2 run plays on 1st and 2nd down was the right thing to do.

I feel like you have to give him a pass on the first few weeks, as a rookie HC. I think he's been better the last couple weeks, with plenty of weeks left to continue the improvement.

We've been running on solid run Ds all year. In spite of stacked boxes and poor LG play. This commitment to the run is going to pay dividends down the road in the form of more play action on first down, wearing down opponents in the 4th quarter, and keeping opposing offenses off the field. Running is about imposing your will on the opponent. And I love his commitment to that old axiom.

Marrone and Co. are establishing something here. Something that is impossible to establish overnight without superior play at the QB position.

Pass to score, run to win.

GO BILLS!!!

Marrone is fine, but Hackett is clearly a problem.

The guy simply does not understand how to attack defenses.

I dont understand the Hackett bashing. We started a practice squad QB today. Without our top wideout and CJ hurting we put 24 points on a very good defense that shut out Tom Brady a week ago. We had very little trouble moving the ball most of the game.

The offense was fantastic today and has been getting better and better today. If EJ had been healthy the whole game last week and this week we win. No doubt in my mind