What Are the Missing Pieces?

thecoz77

From Brandon on down, the team is still corrupted by significant cronyism. Nothing changes until Brandon and the financial guys like Littman are gone, who will continue to rely on a network of people they know for hires instead of getting the best available candidates, and who will continue to mismanage the cap (see the wasted Fitz savings).

Please stop, unless you can identify specific issues - including who they should have brought in as free agents at specific times.

Before you tell us that they cheaped out and should have re-signed Levitre, please note that Titan's RB Chris Johnson is averaging 3.1 ypc with Levitre AND #1 pick OG Chance Warmick blocking for him....

If you are inclined to tell us that they should have a veteran NFL backup at QB, who was available after Kevin Kolb was injured that they should have signed?

Byrd: welcome back....i'll give you one game to get your game speed back....I will be expecting bigger things from a top paid Safety.

I am very sure that Byrd is working extremely hard so as not to disappoint you and incur your wrath. Your post is hilarious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop, unless you can identify specific issues - including who they should have brought in as free agents at specific times.

Before you tell us that they cheaped out and should have re-signed Levitre, please note that Titan's RB Chris Johnson is averaging 3.1 ypc with Levitre AND #1 pick OG Chance Warmick blocking for him....

If you are inclined to tell us that they should have a veteran NFL backup at QB, who was available after Kevin Kolb was injured that they should have signed?

I am very sure that Byrd is working extremely hard so as not to disappoint you and incur your wrath. Your post is hilarious.

Sure. a CB like Sean Smith, Brent Grimes, a tight end like Jared Cook, or a tackle like Jake Long were all within our cap space (could have significantly front-loaded the contracts) and would have been huge additions for this team. I have never advocated re-signing Levitre.

Sure. a CB like Sean Smith, Brent Grimes, a tight end like Jared Cook, or a tackle like Jake Long were all within our cap space (could have significantly front-loaded the contracts) and would have been huge additions for this team. I have never advocated re-signing Levitre.

Jared Cook has two catches and zero TDs more than Scott Chandler - while Cook signed a 5 year $35M contract. I am not seeing where 2 more catches and a couple of yards per catch are worth $7MM/year...

Sean Smith signed a 3 year $18M contract this year. Maybe we should see what the Bills could do with their two starting CBs (who have both missed a lot of time with injuries), their top backup (Brooks) and their top S (Byrd) all missing most of the year so far...

And if I am right, Grimes signed in Miami for $5.5M coming off a torn achilles and he was signed to replace Sean Smith, I think. It isn't like Miami kept Smith AND signed Grimes...

That isn't chump change/bargain basement money - sure 3 different teams signed these guys - and maybe over-paid.

I am not inclined to crucify the Bills for playing the first 6 games this year without 4 of their top 5 DBs (Gilmore, Byrd, McKelvin in-and-out, Brooks). What team could survive that?

Jared Cook has two catches and zero TDs more than Scott Chandler - while Cook signed a 5 year $35M contract. I am not seeing where 2 more catches and a couple of yards per catch are worth $7MM/year...

Sean Smith signed a 3 year $18M contract this year. Maybe we should see what the Bills could do with their two starting CBs (who have both missed a lot of time with injuries), their top backup (Brooks) and their top S (Byrd) all missing most of the year so far...

And if I am right, Grimes signed in Miami for $5.5M coming off a torn achilles and he was signed to replace Sean Smith, I think. It isn't like Miami kept Smith AND signed Grimes...

That isn't chump change/bargain basement money - sure 3 different teams signed these guys - and maybe over-paid.

I am not inclined to crucify the Bills for playing the first 6 games this year without 4 of their top 5 DBs (Gilmore, Byrd, McKelvin in-and-out, Brooks). What team could survive that?

That's not enough CB depth; an unproven Brooks/Rogers as our 3rd CB is not even close to good enough.

Good teams are careful not to blow the cap (unlike the Raiders of old), but don't waste cap space when it's there. We certainly could afford to have signed some of those players to front-loaded contracts with our cap space this year.

Jared Cook is an athletic weapon who would provided an additional dynamic receiver to the team. Many good teams have two solid receiving tight ends.

We need a big RB for short yardage and goal line situations. Gotta be able to move the sticks on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and score the TD on 1st and goal from the 1. Manuel needs experience. Gotta have an experienced backup QB. Need a big/tall WR. Need another pass catching TE. Need another starting caliber CB. Need another pass rusher. Need the HC to manage the game like Belichick does.

We need a big RB for short yardage and goal line situations. Gotta be able to move the sticks on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and score the TD on 1st and goal from the 1....

Ironically, apart from the goal line plays, we converted 5 out of 5 3rd & 1 attempts in the game.

We need a big RB for short yardage and goal line situations. Gotta be able to move the sticks on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and score the TD on 1st and goal from the 1. Manuel needs experience. Gotta have an experienced backup QB. Need a big/tall WR. Need another pass catching TE. Need another starting caliber CB. Need another pass rusher. Need the HC to manage the game like Belichick does.

The Bills and many other teams don't get the philosophy of just falling forward on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. A local radio host advocates this and the math suggests it's the right thing.

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad we didn't grab Smith this past offseason...

They need a guard

bryd or no bryd

athletic Tight end

Rangy wide out

cb

dline man willias is 30 adding a another big body would be great , this is where I would go in round 1

that said with good qb play this is a ten win team

next sked

jacksonvillie

cleveland or pitts

kc denver sd raiders

cowbows giants redskins eagles

division

shouldn't be to bad

Here is what we need in order with #1 being a top most priority for the Draft.

#1) Eric Ebron*, TE, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

Projected 40 Time: 4.65.

Projected Round (2014): 1.

11/2/13: Ebron has been phenomenal in 2013. He has produced long touchdowns and has killed teams down the middle of the field. Ebron is very fast with mismatch speed to get open. The junior has 35 receptions for 599 yards and three touchdowns thus far in 2013. His blocking is much improved. Full write up here (I really think the NE will be drafting a TE this year and we should do everything necessary to make sure we get the best one in the draft so NE doesn't)

#2 Corner

Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

Height: 6-0. Weight: 181.

Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

10/12/13: Colvin has 15 tackles to this point in 2013. He also caused an interception against Notre Dame with a deflected pass.Full write up He is ranked by Walter as the 5th ranked corner in the draft and should be available in the second.

#3 G

Tre Jackson*, G, Florida State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 327.

Projected 40 Time: 5.33.

Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

10/12/13: Jackson has played well for the Seminoles, although Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald had some success with Florida State's interior linemen. Overall, Jackson has done a good job of protecting Jameis Winston. Full write up

Top Priority for Free Agency

#1 Cover LB to Help Kiko in the middle.

#2 Middle linemen - need depth

#3 Big Fat DT who can clog the middle.

This team clearly has some good traits. When you look at the 4 losses we have, 2 could have easily gone our way, and the Cleveland game is going to be a question mark due to the injury to EJ and the horrid play of Tuel. With all of that being said, it seems we are missing one or two pieces that make this team 4-2 right now. What are those pieces? I cannot pinpoint it myself.

Consistent QB play.. is EJ the answer?

O-Line Protection for QB... upgrade at left Guard, and more consistent play from Glenn (he has the ability, just needs to keep developing and playing at a high level) - More depth, the Bills are awfully thin across the line with quality depth.

Defensive Backs - you can never have enough of these guys and lock-down corners are the bread and butter of Pettin's cover-0 pressure schemes.

FedEx isn't getting any younger and Spiller's durability as the feature back seems to be questionable... finding a nice bruising tailback in the later rounds for depth and to bring along would be wise.

Quality Tight End... and TE depth - these guys get beat up pretty badly and you need to have a few on your roster.

I would still like to see another 2-gap, wide-body d-tackle that can spell Dareus or lineup alongside him on more obvious rushing downs.

Here is what we need in order with #1 being a top most priority for the Draft.

#1) Eric Ebron*, TE, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

Projected 40 Time: 4.65.

Projected Round (2014): 1.

11/2/13: Ebron has been phenomenal in 2013. He has produced long touchdowns and has killed teams down the middle of the field. Ebron is very fast with mismatch speed to get open. The junior has 35 receptions for 599 yards and three touchdowns thus far in 2013. His blocking is much improved. Full write up here (I really think the NE will be drafting a TE this year and we should do everything necessary to make sure we get the best one in the draft so NE doesn't)

#2 Corner

Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

Height: 6-0. Weight: 181.

Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

10/12/13: Colvin has 15 tackles to this point in 2013. He also caused an interception against Notre Dame with a deflected pass.Full write up He is ranked by Walter as the 5th ranked corner in the draft and should be available in the second.

#3 G

Tre Jackson*, G, Florida State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 327.

Projected 40 Time: 5.33.

Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

10/12/13: Jackson has played well for the Seminoles, although Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald had some success with Florida State's interior linemen. Overall, Jackson has done a good job of protecting Jameis Winston. Full write up

Top Priority for Free Agency

#1 Cover LB to Help Kiko in the middle.

#2 Middle linemen - need depth

#3 Big Fat DT who can clog the middle.

Read my mind on positions and where to take them. This would be a marvelous draft and even more importantly - VERY realistic!

Read my mind on positions and where to take them. This would be a marvelous draft and even more importantly - VERY realistic!

Great Minds think alike.

The nice thing about going into this draft is that the Bills hit a home run in last years draft class (EJ is still a question and will be for 2 more years) But they dramatically improved the LB, WR, and CBs. so the numbers of holes on this team is shrinking and we are getting better because of it.