Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point about Jacksonville pretty much sums up what I mean....the bills are averaging 22.4 points a game...while Jacksonville is averaging 10.2...there is a gigantic margin of difference.... Not only that but I believe only 6 points in 5 games have been defensive...out of 112

You need perspective.

Dan Carpenter has made 11 field goals, and we've never scored more than 2 touchdowns in a game yet. Is that success to you on offense??? Not to me. Comparing them to Jacksonville may be too extreme, but we're just not taking advantage of what our defense gives us.

Exactly what I was thinking.....nothing like Jacksonville..

bmore bills thinks EJ is close to gabbert like ? It's really not that bad.

The offensive execution has been poor with the talent we have... the proof is in the pudding, not how we expect things to be.

It's actually VERY impressive what Geno Smith is doing considering his only weapon on offense is Holmes and perhaps Hill who are both injured.

EJ has a lot more talent around him in Spiller, Jackson, Johnson, Chandler. EJ hasn't looked very good in the passing game, especially on the deep ball and the throws to wide open receivers and tight ends.

He looked good last night. Did he look impressive versus Tennessee? How about New England? How about Tampa Bay?

The guy had a good game last night, but lets not go generalizing his season based on 1 game. Consistency.

He looked good last night. Did he look impressive versus Tennessee? How about New England? How about Tampa Bay?

The guy had a good game last night, but lets not go generalizing his season based on 1 game. Consistency.

You forgot to mention Buffalo? :D

Working with less, Smith is playing better, showing a more accurate arm. Smith is also gaining experience while Manuel is sitting on the bench.

I can't stress it enough how the injury problem is a big concern with EJ going forward.

TBD posters have mastered the art of blowing 1 game out of proportion.

TBD posters have mastered the art of blowing 1 game out of proportion.

I'm basing it off the body of work.

It's a small sample but Smith showing he can make the throws down field...EJ not so much EJ injury prone..

It also begs the question about Hackett, Smith is outplaying EJ with MUCH less weapons at his disposal. Could part of the problem be Hacketts poor scheme?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

It's a small sample but Smith showing he can make the throws down field...EJ not so much EJ injury prone..

It also begs the question about Hackett, Smith is outplaying EJ with MUCH less weapons at his disposal. Could part of the problem be Hacketts poor scheme?

I don't get the injury prone comment... What player wouldn't have gotten injured from that hit in Cleveland? It's not like he's brittle, he got injured on a play that 99% of players would get hurt.

Remember half way through the 1998 season when San Diego got the better of the draft by picking Leaf after Indy erred in taking Manning?

Me too.

Actually, EJ's downfield throws have been fine when he sets his feet and delivers...it's a mechanics issue that he'll get worked out over time.

Actually, EJ's downfield throws have been fine when he sets his feet and delivers...it's a mechanics issue that he'll get worked out over time.

WHO exactly is going to work out his mechanics besides Hackett, who hasn't developed JACK for a QB in the NFL... Tuel? Lewis? Ohh, that's right... we don't have an experienced veteran to help him through all of it. Yeah...

W.T.F.?????

Ryan Fitzpatrick - very careful, not taking many chances, but shows excellent presence and is a natural leader

Jim Kelly - more of a gunslinger, throws a pretty ball, and takes chances

Discuss.

You conveniently ignored the fact that Jim had great pocket presence, and everybody knows Fitz is a total gunslinger. Try again.

You conveniently ignored the fact that Jim had great pocket presence, and everybody knows Fitz is a total gunslinger. Try again.

We moved on to this:

WHO exactly is going to work out his mechanics besides Hackett, who hasn't developed JACK for a QB in the NFL... Tuel? Lewis? Ohh, that's right... we don't have an experienced veteran to help him through all of it. Yeah...

W.T.F.?????

I don't get the injury prone comment... What player wouldn't have gotten injured from that hit in Cleveland? It's not like he's brittle, he got injured on a play that 99% of players would get hurt.

What are you talking about. He was injured the majority of the preseason. If you take that into account, he has been injured in almost as many games as he played. It will probably be more after he heals from the injury. That's the definition of injury prone.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Anyone who would not prefer Geno over EJ based on what they have seen so far is lying to themselves. It could change, but so far, no contest.

Geno made big mistakes but looks like a natural passer. EJ often looks clunky in his passing mechanics and his accuracy has been poor.

It's still to early to say but Geno does look to be picking up things, he does have a much better long ball than EJ does but I still like E.J.

Once E.J. learns how to run out of bounds and not hurt his team by taking those big hits he will be fine.

Still say if E.J. plays the whole game in Cleveland we win.

We will be alright. We draft a guard for him next year and this offense is gonna be stout.

W.T.F.?????

So it's your opinion that there is no such thing as improvement via coaching? Or is your well-detailed "WTF" the product of being certain that Hackett can't develop a QB? Sounds as though you didn't follow his career pre-Bills, or notice the improvement in Nassib's play during his Syracuse career.

Yes, EJ can get the coaching he needs from Hackett. The guy does know offense, and I think it's fair to give him more than 1/3 of a season to find his way as a coach.