With EJ out its time to scrap the up-tempo/no-huddle offense

For all the obvious reason of going from the practice squad to the starting Qb in a week (scheme, playbook, all the communication he needs to learn). There is zero upside to having Thad Lewis run a no-huddle offense.

Also Hacketts scheme doesn't fit the bill for a no huddle offense. Hackett through 5 games has shown his offense is run based. Its one of the most run heavy schemes in the league. Take your time, try to control the clock. The worst thing we can do against Cincy is a hurry up 3 and out. We can't gas the defense.

If we see Marrone and Hackett running no huddle with Thad Lewis they should fired on the spot. So far I haven't been impressed with either of them.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Perhaps they should practice for a week prior to making that decision. Lewis should be fairly comfortable with the offense. The no huddle could be one way to a) catch the Cincy D off guard and b) wear the Cincy D down.

If it's not effective, I would hope they'll scrap it.

Just watching the Bengals/Pats game, their defensive line is one of the best in the league. They were all over Brady, who has arguable the best o-line in football. So, while I get slowing the tempo down and taking a more calculated approach, we need to have an up tempo offense. The Bengals were in QUICK. I realize that the Pats had a lot of dropped balls, but they were most effective when they forced the Bengals to hustle to the line.

Adding on, they held Brady without a touchdown for the first time in 52 games. And the Pats had zero penalties. ZERO TDs. And we have Thad Lewis starting. Just saying. They held the Pats to 82 total yards and had 4 sacks and 8 QB hits.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Just watching the Bengals/Pats game, their defensive line is one of the best in the league. They were all over Brady, who has arguable the best o-line in football. So, while I get slowing the tempo down and taking a more calculated approach, we need to have an up tempo offense. The Bengals were in QUICK. I realize that the Pats had a lot of dropped balls, but they were most effective when they forced the Bengals to hustle to the line.

Adding on, they held Brady without a touchdown for the first time in 52 games. And the Pats had zero penalties. ZERO TDs. And we have Thad Lewis starting. Just saying. They held the Pats to 82 total yards and had 4 sacks and 8 QB hits.

You do realize Brady runs a no-huddle offense. One of the best the NFL has ever seen.

Our scheme nor the personnel fit the no-huddle. Brady is a master at the no-huddle. It had no-affect on the Bengals-D. The Bengals-D is good and experienced.

No doubt that they should burn as much clock between plays as possible. The "shorter" the Bills can make the game, the better for the Bills' defense and the better chance they can stay in the game.

I think the only chance we have at win is if the Bills D can some score points to help the offense.

I disagree, stick with the fast-paced offense

That's what they've practiced, there's the goal of wearing down defenses. Run or pass matters little with pacing. If you get first downs at a good rate, it works well. If not, you suffer

You have to believe in your players. There's more than enough safe, conservative, play-not-to-lose mentality in the league.

I disagree, stick with the fast-paced offense

That's what they've practiced, there's the goal of wearing down defenses. Run or pass matters little with pacing. If you get first downs at a good rate, it works well. If not, you suffer

You have to believe in your players. There's more than enough safe, conservative, play-not-to-lose mentality in the league.

You realize Thad Lewis has no experience and very little practice running a no-huddle.

As Hackett has shown through his scheme through 5 games with the #1 quarterback is that his play calling isconservative. Just because he runs it up-tempo doesn't make it less-conservative, Conservative play calling is conservative no matter how fast you run it.

You do realize Brady runs a no-huddle offense. One of the best the NFL has ever seen.

Our scheme nor the personnel fit the no-huddle. Brady is a master at the no-huddle. It had no-affect on the Bengals-D. The Bengals-D is good and experienced.

I think the only chance we have at win is if the Bills D can some score points to help the offense.

I agree that the D needs to create opportunities for us, but solely relying on that is a bad plan. Whether we run a hurry up or a traditional offense, they're going to stack 7-8 in the box and dare Thad to beat them. Which is kind of hilarious after what they just did to a HOF QB.

They're gonna minimize the playbook anyway. Tempo isn't a problem one way or the other. Indeed, some QBs prefer it to establish a rhythm. Won't make a difference.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't believe they are going to minimize the playbook, which is what makes Thad a good choice to start.

For all the obvious reason of going from the practice squad to the starting Qb in a week (scheme, playbook, all the communication he needs to learn). There is zero upside to having Thad Lewis run a no-huddle offense.

Also Hacketts scheme doesn't fit the bill for a no huddle offense. Hackett through 5 games has shown his offense is run based. Its one of the most run heavy schemes in the league. Take your time, try to control the clock. The worst thing we can do against Cincy is a hurry up 3 and out. We can't gas the defense.

If we see Marrone and Hackett running no huddle with Thad Lewis they should fired on the spot. So far I haven't been impressed with either of them.

The hurry up is based on execution and wearing the defense down. There is nothin wrong with it so long as you execute. With a rookie QB, there has been some execution problems, which are to be expected. But the coaches are laying the ground work of the Bills offense for years to come. You can't just give up on it and say, "well I guess we'll just go back to doin what everyone else is doing." They are trying to innovate. I applaud that.

When/if it starts working fully, the Bills could be a premier offense.

EDIT: Also, a run-based offense completely fits the hurry-up. Wear out the defense, running becomes easier and easier. Just keep pushing the DL around, not let the substitute or catch their breath. Huge lanes will open.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

They're gonna minimize the playbook anyway.

How much more could they minimize the playbook anyway? We already know what play they are going to run on first and second down. It's a pretty good bet that Cincy already knows it too.

Lack of creative play calling will be an Achilles heel for this team the rest of the season unless the offensive coaching staff miraculously changes their ways.

What bothers me is common sense says a rookie QB with rookie WR's and a rookie OC should not be trying to perform a strict never huddle O in their rookie years.

EJ should have the game slowed down for him not sped up

How much more could they minimize the playbook anyway? We already know what play they are going to run on first and second down. It's a pretty good bet that Cincy already knows it too.

Lack of creative play calling will be an Achilles heel for this team the rest of the season unless the offensive coaching staff miraculously changes their ways.

Exactly. There is no point to go up there and rush the plays with the scheme that they are going to be forced to run with Lewis. It only serves to hurt the best aspect of our team and the only reason this team has been competitive this year - the defense.