Freeman to the Minnesota Vikings

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/07/tony-romo-monday-morning-quarterback/

Mr. Freeman goes to Minneapolis. Josh Freeman wasn’t an unemployed quarterback for long. As Mike Florio reported on NBC late Sunday night, Minnesota GM Rick Spielman signed him to a one-year contract, and he’ll report to the Vikings today. Minnesota is coming off its bye week, and has a home game with Carolina Sunday afternoon. Freeman did the one-year deal for a strategic reason: He wants to be a free agent next March, able to sign with any quarterback-needy team before the lucrative 2014 quarterback draft happens in May. (More on the filthy-rich prospective QB crop lower in this column.)

For now, Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel will have company in the quarterback meeting room, and Freeman’s been brought in to play, not sit. The Vikings are only 1.5 games out of the NFC North lead, but before you get too excited about Freeman, check out my Stat of the Week. He’s a 50.8 percent passer over his last 10 starts, and that’s not going to win any jobs in Saskatchewan, never mind the Metrodome.

Josh Freeman got cut for a reason. At his best, he was a decent NFL QB. Manuel will be better (I think). So why would you want Freeman? And why would he come here??

Give me a break....

Yeah, the same reason Brett Favre was traded from the Falcons. Not saying that Freeman is Favre, but sometimes talent evaluators makes mistakes.

I'm just glad this organization seen an opportunity to make it's team better and made a serious attempt at him.

That's probably what sold him on Minn, was the fact that he wasn't going to be rushed and thrown to the wolves so to speak.

Interesting choice, going to Minn.

They do have a history of taking other team's castoffs and trying to win championships with them, don't they?

McMahon. Moon. Cunningham. George. Favre.

By Vikes standards, the major problem with Freeman is that he isn't sufficiently old and decrepit.

Lol it was Josh's decision had nothing to do with the Bills. TBH I doubt he really even considered to come here. He knows EJ will be back at some point and he is a rookie, Ponder has already proven he isn't the answer.

> Ponder has already proven he isn't the answer.

Last season, he averaged an anemic 6.1 yards per pass attempt. Thus far this season, he's averaged a solid 6.9 yards per attempt. To put that into perspective, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5 yards per attempt; and Tom Brady's average is 7.5 yards per attempt. At least according to that metric, Ponder's play this season has been about halfway between Edwards and Brady.

Some of Ponder's other statistics from this season are a little more disappointing. Last season he averaged less than two sacks a game. This season it's slightly over three sacks per game. His TD/INT ratio for this season is poor; albeit based on limited data. His completion percentage is worse this season than last season.

I'm not trying to come to any hard and fast conclusions here. I'm just giving people something to ponder.