Trading next years mid/late draft picks for a proven player/backup

simpleman

With all the recent trades for players this year, would I bundle a couple of mid to late round picks for a proven player? In a heartbeat. We need talent and depth all over the field. Look at our picks the past 3 years. I would consider trading a couple of any of our mid/late round picks next year for a decent backup or starter. Look at our history with those picks.

Fifth to seventh round draft pick last few years:

S Jonathan Meeks

K Dustin Hopkins

TE Chris Gragg

Zebrie Sanders OT

Tank Carder LB

Mark Asper OG

John Potter

Arthur Moats, LB

Ed Wang, OT

Danny Batten, LB

Levi Brown, QB

Kyle Calloway, OT

With a little over 3 weeks left before the Oct. 29, 2013 4 p.m. ET Trade deadline, I wanted to open a discussion on the validity of a strategy of building your team through trading for proven players rather than using mid to late round picks on players with a low probability of ever becoming impact players. It seems to be a better strategy to build depth using proven players than drafting unknown projects who have never taken a snap in the NFL. It helps lessen the question of "Does College talent actually translate into NFL talent?" It is a big step up from dumpster diving, and it would seem to be a safer bet to get decent players for depth and backup than drafting unknown players. It seems there are many teams who value the draft picks more than depth players, and if a team were to reach out to such a team packaging their mid/late round picks, I wonder if they could fix their depth problems quicker while being as effective as the normal strategy?

I suggested a 4th and 6th to Tampa for Davin Joseph in another thread. They have tons of $ tied up in Carl Nicks and they are a disaster. We end up with a 2 time pro bowl guard and a good O Line.

Is he on the trading block? and if so why?

I suggested a 4th and 6th to Tampa for Davin Joseph in another thread. They have tons of $ tied up in Carl Nicks and they are a disaster. We end up with a 2 time pro bowl guard and a good O Line.

6 million next year, 7 million the year after. How does he compare to Lev this late in his career ?

Wasn't Stevie Johnson a 7th rounder?? Granted many times late round picks don't work out, that's why they are late rounders. But on occasion you do find the diamond in the rough. So they are good for that chance. Would you be better off trading those picks, well the other side of it is in most cases the player you are getting is no better than these late rounders. The one exception is when you find a team that by some luck has a surplus of players at a certain position. Then you can sometimes get a decent player in return. But just as late round picks becoming stars, good/serviceable players being traded are just as rare.

Is he on the trading block? and if so why?

because a team that is a disaster is unlikely to pay 15-20m a year for guards.

he isnt officially, but i think its one of the more reasonable guesses. im thinking the compensation would have to be higher for the trade though.

6 million next year, 7 million the year after. How does he compare to Lev this late in his career ?

He's only 29 and went to the Pro bowl last year (and after '09). Don't know if he is available but they are definitely in rebuild mold and I don't think that you can have 2 guards making that kind of $ in a rebuild situation. It was just a thought.

because a team that is a disaster is unlikely to pay 15-20m a year for guards.

he isnt officially, but i think its one of the more reasonable guesses. im thinking the compensation would have to be higher for the trade though.

You may be right, I used Eugene Monroe (except a 6th instead of 5th) as the base.

Write off the season. Don't panic and trade draft picks for a guy who will not be a long term answer. They were not a playoff team this year. It is a rebuilding year. Take your lumps and drive one. Draft well next year and build a team that will make Buffalo proud. Free agent veteran QB is a must in the off season. GO BILLS!

we are rebuilding (again) so trading picks would be foolish at this point.

Still think you are better off using your 5-7 round picks than trading them for proven NFL talent? Let’s go back another three years:

Round Five (147)- Nic Harris LB

•Round Six (183)- Cary Harris DB

•Round Seven (220)- Ellis Lankster DB

5 - TE Derek Fine

6 - OLB Alvin Bowen

7 - RB Xavier Omon

6 John Wendling S

7) Derek Schouman TE

7 C.J. Ah You DE

Wasn't Stevie Johnson a 7th rounder??

Yes, Stevie Johnson is the one pick in 6 years, and a very rare exception. And a 9th pick ( 3 7s that year) at that. One player in 6 years.

Edited by simpleman

We need to use our picks & if nothing else get more not give them away & keep the guys we had here before their contract year comes up .

Like Jabari Greer, Andy Levetrie, we let Leonard walk but now he's back, Winfield, Peters (although i hate saying it !!)

There are so many good players that we let walk & Byrd could be the next with Spiller being not to far behind him if they wait as they always do till the last minute of his rookie contract to start talking to him . They should be talking to him NOW , get the ball rolling don't do another Levetrie / Byrd move .

Our FO is way to laid back !!!