Byrd ready? Marrone "stop sign?" More than meets the eye?

So, with 4 days extra rest after the previous game, he is suddenly feeling well enough to play. Sounds to me like national television was the "healing agent" here. While Marrone's short week argument surely weighed into the decision to sit him, I bet the bigger reason is not letting Byrd get his way.

I'm with you on this one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on this one.

Except for somehow Marrone had agreed all along that Byrd was too injured to play, and Marrone does not sign the paychecks.

Seems ludicrous to me to conflate football and business decisions. Marrone is responsible for one set of them, and Brandon and Whaley are responsible for the other set, and if the two are mixing that's a real disturbing sign.

If everything with Byrd is legit and all of this working past the pain stuff has been the honest truth, then an extra week of feeling good and practicing with the team is the best thing for all parties. We shall see. Reading to much into Marrone's explanation is a waste of time as it falls in the realm of infinite guesses for me, not my bag.

If everything with Byrd is legit and all of this working past the pain stuff has been the honest truth, then an extra week of feeling good and practicing with the team is the best thing for all parties. We shall see. Reading to much into Marrone's explanation is a waste of time as it falls in the realm of infinite guesses for me, not my bag.

I agree. All things being equal, no TC and a walk through with the first string d for a Thursday game is unlikely to create any chemistry regardless of how well he knows the defensive calls. IMO this was a prudent football decision, nothing more.

Edited by transient

I thought Byrd had only done limited individual drills and scout team defense leading up to that game. He has not even lined up with the "starters" in practice. It was the Browns. It was a game that should have been over in the third quarter. The defense played well enough to win. The punter and EJ's injury cost them the game. I suspect Marrone thought this is great I get a Pro-Bowl safety back with ten days to practice for AJ Green.

This whole board will shat themselves when Byrd picks off Dalton next week.

I'm sick of all the lifetime minimum wagers complaining about Byrd. He deserves top 3 safety money and the Bills should have extended him prior to 2012 season as others have pointed out. He's earned the money.

http://www.buffalone...p-sign-20131004

All along, Byrd has said (paraphrasing), "I'll get out there when I'm 100%." Marrone has seemed to take the position that there's really an injury and never suggested otherwise. Then, Byrd says that he is ready, and Marrone holds him out citing a "short week." This at the same time that he's got two banged-up RBs and others at <100% in the game. Is it because Byrd wasn't ready? Was he really more hurt than he claimed to be and Marrone's staff said to hold him out (there's something to be said for playing in front of a national audience)? Is there something else going on?

I'm just wondering why the hell Byrd wasn't on that field last night.

The guy had only two full practices behind him by game time and until then, has been playing on the scout team. We have a very new defense this year and I think Marrone simply decided that Byrd just doesn't have enough reps to play on such short notice. Besides, the real shortage is at CB, not S. Two practices are not enough to clear the rust out.

Now that we know Byrd had PF last season and has not played since last dec , over 9 months to rest , I would not have given him a long term guaranteed ,top $ contract. He can use the PF card anytime. If he were healthy last season, I would have paid him, even Levitre. That he was just recently fitted with orthotics is beyond belief

Marrone's history shows that he doesn't like to play guys that haven't put in a full week of practice. Byrd just started taking snaps with the 1st unit last week and even then he wasn't with them the entire time.

My guess is he's now physically ready, Marrone want's him mentally ready.

When Byrd plays, will he just go through the motions not to get hurt, and get the big contract next year or will he go all out-100%-to try and help the team win?

What do you all think?

I would really like to believe that once he's between the lines, he'll play balls out, which is the only way to play the game. You start coasting, you stand a better chance of getting hurt, actually.

That's what I'd like to believe. But his credibility as a football player has taken a huge hit with me ever since his "100%" remark, etc. My hope is that if he DOES go less than all out, that one of his teammates gets in his grill about it.

I hope he knows the difference between not wanting to be in Buffalo and not wanting to be on the field. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

I would really like to believe that once he's between the lines, he'll play balls out, which is the only way to play the game. You start coasting, you stand a better chance of getting hurt, actually.

That's what I'd like to believe. But his credibility as a football player has taken a huge hit with me ever since his "100%" remark, etc. My hope is that if he DOES go less than all out, that one of his teammates gets in his grill about it.

I hope he knows the difference between not wanting to be in Buffalo and not wanting to be on the field. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

So do you think he went from 98.5 to 100% this week, or do you think the comment was more along the lines of 100% confident in his health (or other similar variants that are slightly less damning)

So do you think he went from 98.5 to 100% this week, or do you think the comment was more along the lines of 100% confident in his health (or other similar variants that are slightly less damning)

No, I think his left foot was at 102% and his right foot was at 98% so, being the high-character player that he is, he averaged them out to get to 100% in both feet.

I didn't appreciate his "still a little achy" remark when guys like Freddy with a sprained knee and CJ with a sprained ankle, immediately stated their desire to give it a go after the Ravens' game. I don't see how he can look his teammates in the eye. Not that it matters.

GO BILLS!!!

No, I think his left foot was at 102% and his right foot was at 98% so, being the high-character player that he is, he averaged them out to get to 100% in both feet.

I didn't appreciate his "still a little achy" remark when guys like Freddy with a sprained knee and CJ with a sprained ankle, immediately stated their desire to give it a go after the Ravens' game. I don't see how he can look his teammates in the eye. Not that it matters.

GO BILLS!!!

Slight side step but didn't totally dodge it. Joked and focused on a different aspect, but I guess I can accept "the whole thing rubbed me wrong regardless of what happens" which is what I'm taking that answer as. It rubbed me wrong too but I think like I said at the time, many took the guys sound bite too literally (atleast I hoped).

After 6 weeks of being with the team, Byrd has to know all the calls by now. As I see it, there are two options as to what went on here:

1) with 10 days until the next game, they are being cautious and want to get Byrd a full regular week of preparation before his first live action

2) Organizationally, the Bills know Byrd is playing a game and decide to fire back and sit him from a Nationally televised game.

...this rings true, keep his story from being a distraction on the national stage. Douse his fire!

Slight side step but didn't totally dodge it. Joked and focused on a different aspect, but I guess I can accept "the whole thing rubbed me wrong regardless of what happens" which is what I'm taking that answer as. It rubbed me wrong too but I think like I said at the time, many took the guys sound bite too literally (atleast I hoped).

The humor was intended, the sidestep wasn't. If I didn't directly address it, let me just say he's disappointed me. This happens when you like and admire a player and then he says things and acts in a certain way that doesn't come across as genuine. From the first PC he gave, I saw and heard a COMPLETELY different Byrd. At first I chalked it up to the natural sense of disappointment he would have in not getting his deal. But I expected professionalism none the less. And then it seemed to turn into petulance from the sounds of it. At least to me, it did. And the "still achy" comment seemed hollow when contrasted with the totally team oriented remarks of Freddy and CJ.

I'm just one of those fans that's lost respect for him. Nothing much more I can say.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-5/bills-notebook-byrd-ready-to-go-but-marrone-puts-up-stop-sign-20131004

All along, Byrd has said (paraphrasing), "I'll get out there when I'm 100%." Marrone has seemed to take the position that there's really an injury and never suggested otherwise. Then, Byrd says that he is ready, and Marrone holds him out citing a "short week." This at the same time that he's got two banged-up RBs and others at <100% in the game. Is it because Byrd wasn't ready? Was he really more hurt than he claimed to be and Marrone's staff said to hold him out (there's something to be said for playing in front of a national audience)? Is there something else going on?

I'm just wondering why the hell Byrd wasn't on that field last night.

Do you believe anything Byrd says at this point?