Byrd ready? Marrone "stop sign?" More than meets the eye?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Byrd play QB? No? Then he wasn't needed last night.

There was no safety assignment on any of the long balls (hopefully).

Not that I saw. But I'd like to get a look at the all-22 to be sure.

Gotte give Weeden some credit, too. He made some terrific throws.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, some of the criticism of A. Williams seem out of place given the throws/catches coming his way.

I hear ya. When it takes a perfect throw to beat you, it's nothing to be ashamed about. Better to credit the other guy for a nice play vs. finding fault with your own guy.

But hey, this is TBD and it's how we roll.

GO BILLS!!!

What I would do is exactly what the Bills did with Wood and Kyle Williams -- when you see you have a good player you extend him BEFORE his contract year --- both Byrd and Levitre should have been extended much earlier --- the crap that some people on this board suggest that the Bills can't afford to give a guard so much money or a safety that much money, is just that CRAP --- let's all take a step back and look at this FO --- it's been 13 years since a playoff --- we are on rebuilding project #5 in that time span --- until we find ourselves in cap hell --- until we consistently draft talented players that develop and need/want/deserve to get paid -- if you draft a guy that turns out to be a winner --- extend him --- On the positive side, there is room for optimism in the recent drafts --- Dareus is stepping up and looking solid, A Williams looks to have found his position in SS; Glenn, Spiller, Alonzo, Woods, Gilmore and Carrington all look like the real deals --- so don't screw these guys up -- when the time allows for an extension, do it ----

I get so tired of arguments like this. In a perfect world obviously you'd never let your players be exposed to free agency. However, what exactly has Byrd done throughout this entire process makes you think he would be happy with anything less than being the highest paid safety in the league or testing the waters of free agency? Hell, being TD highest paid probably wasn't enough to get him to the table, he probably wanted to be a free agent regardless. Of course this is just speculation, but what's not speculation is that you need both sides to agree and that's not always possible.

I hear ya. When it takes a perfect throw to beat you, it's nothing to be ashamed about. Better to credit the other guy for a nice play vs. finding fault with your own guy.

But hey, this is TBD and it's how we roll.

GO BILLS!!!

Particularly after a loss. The 180 in less than 12 hours is just incredible.

No idea. All I do know is the Bills need to trade this player for a pick, and or a decent LG.

Stevie Johnson out there after he hurt his back still trying to play makes me think Byrd is all about the money.

He wanted to play last night. It was a coaches decision.

Most likely Marrone opting to have him closer to full-go with a few extra days rest for Cincy. I would've loved to see him, but I agree with Marrone's call.

Yeah, some of the criticism of A. Williams seem out of place given the throws/catches coming his way.

The only bad play he made last night was the late hit. But then again, we've finally got a safety who plays on the edge. Something many on here have been wanting for years.

Edited by stony

Byrd's posturing "I wanted to play but coach wouldn't let me" is total BS - trying to turn everything around that's he's so eager to play but the big bad coach won't let him.

If he showed any willingness to actually get out on the field before he was "100%" he would have had some real practice time and conditioning under his belt and there's no doubt he would have been ready and would have played. The guy is a total tool - can't wait til they get rid of him.

He wanted to play last night. It was a coaches decision.

Most likely Marrone opting to have him closer to full-go with a few extra days rest for Cincy. I would've loved to see him, but I agree with Marrone's call.

The only bad play he made last night was the late hit. But then again, we've finally got a safety who plays on the edge. Something many on here have been wanting for years.

Yep. It was the easiest call the refs had to make all night.

And I loved it.

I called this, and it wasn't that hard. Marrone is a fairly conservative coach in many ways, including wanting his players to practice fully before playing. One of his quotes regarding this matter said as much: something along the lines of needing Byrd to have a full week of practice before he plays, and "maybe if it was a Sunday game..." I fully expect Byrd to play against Cincy, although I don't know if he'll start.

A good point, but Marrone needs to wake up. This is the NFL, not college. He can understand the scheme by reviewing the playbook, etc. Any other coach would have had him in. If he stinks, then pull him. Byrd would have been much better than the trash we saw in the secondary last night.

A good point, but Marrone needs to wake up. This is the NFL, not college. He can understand the scheme by reviewing the playbook, etc. Any other coach would have had him in. If he stinks, then pull him. Byrd would have been much better than the trash we saw in the secondary last night.

and he doesnt need to run 100% of plays, he couldve been the 3rd safety and in on packages if they were worried about him not being 100% physically or mentally.

it worries me a little that marrone made the decision, but i dont have enough info behind the scenes to say if it was right/wrong

Watch whats happening in dallas with claiborne, some rumors here about trade with bills,, only rumors at this point, but with byrd sitting when he presumably healty gotta wonder,

I did notice the GM was watching Byrd practice which is a little odd. Suggests to me that he might be evaluating the "horse flesh" in preparation for a trade. Doubt you see Whaley checking the health of the kicker or any one else.

Link?

Did you actually hear

Byrd's posturing "I wanted to play but coach wouldn't let me" is total BS - trying to turn everything around that's he's so eager to play but the big bad coach won't let him.

If he showed any willingness to actually get out on the field before he was "100%" he would have had some real practice time and conditioning under his belt and there's no doubt he would have been ready and would have played. The guy is a total tool - can't wait til they get rid of him.

It seems just as possible to me that since you're linking to print and not audio that you have no idea if he is "posturing" or just explaining it factually.

Is it not the coach's call? Has the coach not agreed that he has been injured?

Bills fans love a good conspiracy theory because it can explain away when things actually just suck.

So, with 4 days extra rest after the previous game, he is suddenly feeling well enough to play. Sounds to me like national television was the "healing agent" here. While Marrone's short week argument surely weighed into the decision to sit him, I bet the bigger reason is not letting Byrd get his way.

Could be that yes Byrd felt he was ready to go, may have been a bit of wanting to showcase on national TV. Could he have played yes, was he completely ready, questionable?? I doubt the Bill's would have looked all that better with a rusty and out of game shape Byrd, likely would have only played half the snaps. May not have wanted to waste a roster spot wit ha thin secondary on a guy that may only give you half the plays. So you sit him for an extra ten days and let him get into better playing shape.

OR

May be they didn't feel he'd likely make a big difference in the game due to rustiness, so hold him out while healthy and maybe they seriously plan to trade him over next ten days. You see it often in baseball, a player is rumored to be traded and they hold him out of lineup. Football that usually doesn't happen but there are a couple of unique circumstances here.

a) Byrd hasn't played all year anyway and this is a short week of practice so holding him out isn't changing anything from what they've done all year.

b) Ten day layoff gives him extra time to get into game shape.

c) Trade him while he's healthy, if he had played and got nicked up, would be much tougher to get a deal made.

If he's traded within the next 10 days, then likely that was why he was held out. Could even be they have a deal in the works, butthe other team doesn't want to make deal until after this Sundays games.