The reason this organization has been and still is a joke

Same old Bills; cut corners to save a few bucks by finding a bargin basement LG, back up QB who has no business in the NFL, refuse to sign your best defensive player, etc. Add Levitre, Byrd and a back QB to this team and they are 4-1.

As long as the crypt keeper is still breathing, nothing will ever change.

You got that right...but don't forget the beancounters who do Ralph's math for him. They're the reason Russ Smithers sells our home games to Toronto and ordered all the other bush league personnel stuff you mentioned above.

It was really dumb not to extend Levitre last year (when we could have had him for less- like Wood) and does anyone else think Chad Rinehart at a 1millon a year would have made us better than we are right now? Russ Smithers is a puppet.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a team full of rookies, it's not designed to win this year. The Bills needed young QB's added to the franchise so they did and they're learning about both of them right now.

A veteran backup is an irrelevancy until next year.

I agree with your first sentence, but not your last. No they were not designed to win this year but as it turns out, young guys like Kiko and Woods are surpassing expectations and the defense is much improved, even missing almost the whole starting secondary. The point is this team has/had a chance to overachieve this year but the FO has sunk that chance with its decisions to skimp on talent in key spots.

Yeah, we should have kept Kolb and Leinert. :doh:

Yes, because NFL rules limited the Bills to only consider Tuel, Kolb or Leinert for the position. :doh:

Same old Bills; cut corners to save a few bucks by finding a bargin basement LG, back up QB who has no business in the NFL, refuse to sign your best defensive player, etc. Add Levitre, Byrd and a back QB to this team and they are 4-1.

+1 Not sure about Tuel yet, he needs reps to improve. Last night was tall order for him. They should have kept TJ to see what he had.

I agree with your first sentence, but not your last. No they were not designed to win this year but as it turns out, young guys like Kiko and Woods are surpassing expectations and the defense is much improved, even missing almost the whole starting secondary. The point is this team has/had a chance to overachieve this year but the FO has sunk that chance with its decisions to skimp on talent in key spots.

I assume you're referring to backup QB...so...are you forgetting that we signed Kolb? That there was a mad offseason rush to gobble up anything that even remotely resembled QB talent?

And there you have it Buffalo Bills fans, Chef stopping by again to remind everyone he's better than us all. :thumbdown: Btw. I'd never buy season tickets anyways. Gimmie a couch over a cold plastic seat from which I can't really see much of anything...ANY day.

To not play Jackson? I'm not getting into a speculation war here.

I wouldn't mind giving Freeman his second shot. We could REALLY use him as a backup right now. I'm trying to think of teams looking for a starter (who don't think they can/will find him in next year's draft), and it seems his opportunity to start and compete on a contender right now is slim.

Wherever he goes, he'll be a backup. And I wouldn't mind if he was ours.

But it wasn't like he was going to play last night. So saying we lost because our FO is inept because Josh Freeman wasn't on the roster, on a plane, in a uniform, on the sideline and ready to run the offense hours he was let go seems silly.

Of course I was not saying Freeman should have been backup last night, I am saying that the Bills HAVE to make every effort to get that guy in Buffalo today. More important than having him ready in 10 days is having someone who I believe would be a great backup option in case this happens again.

this season was supposed to be transition. Games like the Jets game are depressing. Last night though, the young players all again looked impressive and injuries ended up doing them in.

I am actually optimistic for the first time since Bledsoe got here. I think they will be a legit contender for the AFC East in 2014.

Of course I was not saying Freeman should have been backup last night, I am saying that the Bills HAVE to make every effort to get that guy in Buffalo today. More important than having him ready in 10 days is having someone who I believe would be a great backup option in case this happens again.

I totally agree. But if they try and fail, we won't hear about it. But that won't stop fans from saying WTF ARE THEY DOING!?

I assume you're referring to backup QB...so...are you forgetting that we signed Kolb? That there was a mad offseason rush to gobble up anything that even remotely resembled QB talent?

I seem to be posting the same thing in 2 threads now. No, not just backup QB. LG, Byrd, WRs, etc. I'd be more patient with the FO if they hadn't consistently demonstrated they are content to let the team's best young talent continue to walk away in the prime of their careers.

I totally agree. But if they try and fail, we won't hear about it. But that won't stop fans from saying WTF ARE THEY DOING!?

I swear to God, I am getting more emotional about this team every year. I'm 43 and I felt like my heart got RIPPED out last night. What I am 10 years old? Only the Bills could take out ANY enthusiasm I had about going to the Sabres game tonight. I am tapped emotionally, I really, really am

The coaches obviously liked what they saw from Tuel in pre-season and that is why they kept him. Pre-season, playing against backups, however is much different than a prime time regular season game in a hostile environment. Tuel definitely was overwhelmed by the situation last night and that is not what you need in a backup. He belongs on the PS and the team desperately needs a real backup QB. That was painfully obvious last night. It was another game that they could have won that they let get away. That makes three. Granted the Jets dominated them, but it was only 27-20 and they still had a chance to win, but couldn't pull it off. This team has got to learn how to win these kinds of games or they will never get over the hump.

I seem to be posting the same thing in 2 threads now. No, not just backup QB. LG, Byrd, WRs, etc. I'd be more patient with the FO if they hadn't consistently demonstrated they are content to let the team's best young talent continue to walk away in the prime of their careers.

I'm not trying to be a lap dog for the FO, but I honestly can't imagine what they could have done to control the Byrd situation.

LG, I'll give you.

WR?? The biggest problem of TC/PS was having too much talent at WR!

Where else are we thing? TE may be? But this roster was GUTTED the 9 months between hiring Marrone and kickoff of week one. I'm not really sure what else we should expect...

The coaches obviously liked what they saw from Tuel in pre-season and that is why they kept him. Pre-season, playing against backups, however is much different than a prime time regular season game in a hostile environment. Tuel definitely was overwhelmed by the situation last night and that is not what you need in a backup. He belongs on the PS and the team desperately needs a real backup QB. That was painfully obvious last night. It was another game that they could have won that they let get away. That makes three. Granted the Jets dominated them, but it was only 27-20 and they still had a chance to win, but couldn't pull it off. This team has got to learn how to win these kinds of games or they will never get over the hump.

This probably belongs in one of the "FIRE HACKETT NOW" threads. But a quick observation that I haven't heard anyone touch on:

I'm very intrigued by the context of a very frustrated Tuel coming back to the sidelines, captured on television demonstrably upset yelling IT'S WIDE OPEN...anyone else see that? Anyone else care to speculate?

I agree. You gotta have better talent backing you up. No Way Levitre should have walked. No Way Byrd shouldn't have signed a long term deal. These 2 situations were avoidable. I blame the front office for not having the foresight to tie up these 2 long term.

Back Up QB is hard though. They were going through major changes this offseason at the Position. Tuel was not Ideal, I don't know who else was available so I reserve judgement other than, they should again have the foresight to get someone better than "Tuel"

The OP hit the nail on the head. I love the people who try to defend the front office. "If only we didn't have injuries," (apperantly other teams do not have them); "we can't have someone breathing down EJ's neck" (or you could have a QB who EJ learns from, a novel idea); "a pro bowl safety would not have changed the outcome," etc.)

Same excuses year after year after year by the Bills and the sheep followers. I love the Bills, but the people who bellllieeeeeve in the BS coming from OBD need to wake up. The only consistent thing since 1999 is that while every other team in the NFL has made the playoffs during that span, the Bills have been on a continual 3 year rebuilding project.

The Buffalo Bills: "On a 3 year rebuild since 1999."

I agree. You gotta have better talent backing you up. No Way Levitre should have walked. No Way Byrd shouldn't have signed a long term deal. These 2 situations were avoidable. I blame the front office for not having the foresight to tie up these 2 long term.

Back Up QB is hard though. They were going through major changes this offseason at the Position. Tuel was not Ideal, I don't know who else was available so I reserve judgement other than, they should again have the foresight to get someone better than "Tuel"

Brandon is the JOKE. He is the guy who is hoarding the $20M in cap space and tying the hands of the GM, which in turn puts the coaching staff in a tough spot --- and makes the success of this team high risk --- if there truly was a LONG TERM plan to this madness, Brandon would be resigning and extending and shifting money from out years to this year --- I would shut up and feel better if Brandon said they are taking Fitz entire cap hit this year -- and that they restructured Kyle Williams contact to lower his out years etc. etc --- instead, Brandon is doing what he has done for the past decade --- and we know how that's gone ---

I have a hard time referencing old or even recent history right now because I think this franchise is in the midst of the biggest metamorphosis it's seen in my lifetime.

Ownership decisions from the past just aren't currently relevant; or will they be any more, for that matter.

And while tonight was certainly buttugly, and the chances of Tuel figuring it out are microscopically slim, I just can't give the Bills the business right now about bringing in multiple young QB's.

Even if they don't pan out, I'm encouraged they consider it a priority.

Good attitude to have. I'm going to try to emulate it.

If EJ had not got hurt we would have lost anyway.

Link??? Good God.

If anyone thinks the Bills should have signed a decent veteran QB to play backup, who was out there after Kolb got hurt? I'd like to hear names.

And if you think Tavaris Jackson was decent, then why did he never see any game action for the Bills when he was here?

^^^

This.

I think you can insert the word joke right here. This is the perfect example of why I started this thread. Why Jackson did not play last year is beyond me because if they had, he probably would have been the backup last night. If this front office had an ounce of balls like Seattle did when they started Wilson over Flynn, things would be different. Get all the talent in here and then let it shake out...

I work with a guy who is as big a die-hard Vikings fan as most of the posters on this site are die-hard Bills fans. He's not a "homer" or the "I've heard of him...sign him!" type. He's a very level-headed, insightful, intelligent football fan. He told me on more than one occasion that Tarvaris Jackson was awful. He was happy to see him leave the Vikes. My brother-in-law is in that same camp. He grew up in South Dakota and lived many years in Minneapolis, a lifelong Minnesota fan living and breathing Vikings football. Jackson is not, was not, and will not be the answer. If he's so great, why could he not stick in Minnesota as a backup? If he's so great, why was Seattle willing to let him go the first time for a mere 7th Round draft choice? If he's so great, why could he not even see the field for the Bills? Maybe his umpteenth chance will finally be the one where he settles in and finds a home with the Seahawks long-term but I wouldn't bet on it. He's nothing more than a bad backup like a bunch of others currently on NFL teams and slightly better than the myriad of street FAs still hanging on for a shot. Please stop the "we should never have let Tarvaris Jackson go" diatribe. It's ridiculous overreaction to a tough loss last night and embarrassing to boot.

Dude I can't agree more! Name one other team that has an undrafted rookie qb as a #2.. We the fans should be furious! This organization is a joke.

I don't think the redskins last year were all that different with cousins last year.

Jeeeze people. If you have been a fan long enough it's plainly clear the bills have a better team, more talent and a brighter future than they have in two decades.

Cleveland is good. Sorry. They are leading their division with the steelers ravens and bengals. Three perennially strong teams of recent years that hold two Super Bowl teams from the past few years.

The bills have been in position to win very game this season except the jets game, with a second string secondary.

They will have a legitimate playoff push if EJ gets and stay healthy. Believe it.