CJ and Freddie < 100%: How Best to Gameplan?

I believe what we saw on Sunday was the recipe. It is possible that this team has an actual identity.

Marrone is an O-Line guy. He wants to pound it. The Bills are going to run the ball with CJ, Fred, EJ, Choice, and even Graham and Woods. They aren't looking for EJ to survey the whole field and hit 65% of his passes. They want EJ to protect the ball and hit homeruns. He doesn't need a high completion rate - he needs a high YPA.

On defense they are going to knock the quarterback down and take the ball away.

Even with the short week and our banged up RBs, I think the Bills will try to run 40+ times. I do expect Choice to get 10+ carries this week.

I think the key would be to confuse the Browns D. If I was Hackett, I'd be practicing my "trick plays" to extend the ground game. I'm not sure if the Ravens have terrible run D(They shouldn't on paper) but that reseverses to TJ Graham looked to be really working on Sunday. Faking the reverse is another viable option. With the no-huddle a cute play or two could really open up the game. If EJ is having a bad game and the Browns start stacking 8 in the box, I'd run the play action from Sunday. EJ did a great job of selling it- even the camera guy was fooled. I'd be hesitant to utilize the read-option though as EJ has some ball security issues.

WR screens, reverses & 21 personnel & lots of Choice . This is a North South game where you need to feed the ball 20-25 times to Choice.

Don't turn the ball over & continue to play uptempo. On short rest the Browns will get tired if EJ is accurate & decisive.

WR screens, reverses & 21 personnel & lots of Choice . This is a North South game where you need to feed the ball 20-25 times to Choice.

Don't turn the ball over & continue to play uptempo. On short rest the Browns will get tired if EJ is accurate & decisive.

I do agree with this....WR screens and screens to Freddie/CJ to get them in space and lessen the impact of the constant banging with the big bodies - use Choice for the banging for the most part (this is NOT saying dont run Fred and CJ) to get you your 3-5 yards on first downs

I am predicting this is the game that we unleash a few screen plays (finally)....

I like this comment from a Cleve fan on the Browns message board about the game:

"Spiller hasn't done much this season (He's my RB1 in a league) and he's a little dinged up. Considering how well we contained All Day last week (in his house, no less), I don't see Spiller giving us much trouble."

While I agree on the surface, the Vikings are a very different team than the Bills. They have 1 guy you need to stop - AP. At the time when Ponder was playing, they were not a threat in the passing game. Their defense is so bad that they are always playing from behind and frequently feel they need to pass. But they can't despite having decent weapons at WR. And the running game is their best weapon. So... just different. Plus we have 2 RBs, not 1. JMO. I do respect the heck out of the Browns defense and they are spot on the CJ has not played up to what we though he would thus far. But the Jets game was his worst and he only had 10 carries due to injury, so they need to look beyond the stat line.

I'd sit them both and go with Choice who has shown he can be effective as a backup.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Fred and CJ want to give it a go because they'll have 10 days to recover and no travel for the next game. Just hoping and praying they don't injure themselves more. Also, CJ said he will test his running and cutting before the game to ensure he is effective as he needs to be and if not, won't play. He is playing it very smart to do what is best for the team.

Have a few plays designed to get TJ and Woods the ball out of the backfield. Hand to Choice, run left or right, hand to WR. Worked against the Ravens. Also, are we bringing in another RB for this game....if there are any left worth picking up. My concern is that Fred and CJ are not good to go, and that Choice gets hurt.

I'd sit them both and go with Choice who has shown he can be effective as a backup.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I would also. A "sprain" in a ligament (Freddy injury) seems like it could become a season-ending tear. We need Freddie for the season. I'm less worried about starting CJ with an ankle sprain. But they need to add a RB in my opinion for this game to backup Choice.

GO BILLS!!!

I concur. I have a ton of faith in Choice.

Also, in his few carries on Sunday, I thought he looked better at running the read option than Spiller. Seemed to identify several nice running lanes.

I would give Choice 20+ carriers, and work in Spiller and Jackson as best we can.

Have a few plays designed to get TJ and Woods the ball out of the backfield. Hand to Choice, run left or right, hand to WR. Worked against the Ravens.

When will we see the fake end around to freeze the safeties and then a toss to Woods deep? I think we set that up for the coming weeks.

If I were the GM, I would do the following. First, I would attempt to trade Byrd for pick(s) or player. Once he is traded, it would free up a spot on the roster. I would then sign the best available RB to back up Choice. Lastly, I would bench Freddie and Spiller in order to avoid much more damage to their existing injuries. This is only week 5 and so we have 11 more games to go.

IR someone. Maybe whatshisname-the-kicker. Sign a RB or find someone else to plug in as a backup. It'd be interesting to see someone like Meeks take a chance running the ball.

But for the most part I use double TE plenty. Put Choice back there for 60% of the snaps and all passing downs.

I use EJ to spread the ball out. Maybe some roll outs or 5-7 step drops to keep the D from getting too comfortable. And I use a lot of pre snap motion.

I have no idea... Hackett is the same guy running Spiller into the pile 7 times in a preseason game so I have no illusions about his preservation instincts for his players. It does seem like Hackett likes bring all the big uglies into the middle and going 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust. I'd like to see him utilize his athletes to get them in space a bit more, but that hasn't happened much so far.