If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

Well, they gave Wood top 5 center money. Reports were the Bills offered Byrd top 5 safety money as well. Assuming they value Byrd as much as Wood (and I think the FT suggests this), and the oft stated rhetoric that the front office was and still is committed to a long term deal, I tend to believe top 5 is exactly what they offered.

I've already stated my reasons why I believe Byrd SHOULD be top 5 but not highest paid on numerous occasions, so I won't rehash why again. I only mention it because I think the Bills offer was fair given an honest assessment of his talent level.

GO BILLS!!!

what range does top 5 encompass in your book? as simple a term as it is, i bet we could get quite a few different answers with some of the low ends on the ranges being less appealing. a source saying top 5 could be using any number of tricks to make it sound better, if they wanted. or its also very possible byrd was on a #1 or dont talk to me kick.

(top 5 safety money as in about 8m - weddle, goldson, polamalu, etc, or top 5 free safety which bumps down a notch, are we talking top 5 of the 5 year deals or top 5 for this years single season salaries, and are we closer to 1 or 5 on any of those lists? do the guaranteed dollars match that slotting or did the bills possibly get cute there?)

until we understand what that term means, its hard to add the layer of discussing byrds value relative to it

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what range does top 5 encompass in your book? as simple a term as it is, i bet we could get quite a few different answers with some of the low ends on the ranges being less appealing. a source saying top 5 could be using any number of tricks to make it sound better, if they wanted. or its also very possible byrd was on a #1 or dont talk to me kick.

(top 5 safety money as in about 8m - weddle, goldson, polamalu, etc, or top 5 free safety which bumps down a notch, are we talking top 5 of the 5 year deals or top 5 for this years single season salaries, and are we closer to 1 or 5 on any of those lists? do the guaranteed dollars match that slotting or did the bills possibly get cute there?)

until we understand what that term means, its hard to add the layer of discussing byrds value relative to it

I'm ok with the sportrac top 5 ranges for all categories: avg salary, signing bonus, guaranteed money. Much like they did with Wood as I said.

Bottom line for me is that the Bills CLEARLY value him, they CLEARLY state their desire to retain him long term, and they CLEARLY are willing to pay for their HONEST assessment of the player's talents. It's just easier for me think they made a legitimate offer based on previous experience with players they value. We are now officially hoeing old ground.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm ok with the sportrac top 5 ranges for all categories: avg salary, signing bonus, guaranteed money. Much like they did with Wood as I said.

Bottom line for me is that the Bills CLEARLY value him, they CLEARLY state their desire to retain him long term, and they CLEARLY are willing to pay for their HONEST assessment of the player's talents. It's just easier for me think they made a legitimate offer based on previous experience with players they value. We are now officially hoeing old ground.

GO BILLS!!!

meanwhile Tyrd is waiting til he is 100% healthy before playing, wants to be the highest paid safety in the league and is "open" to a trade.

meanwhile Tyrd is waiting til he is 100% healthy before playing, wants to be the highest paid safety in the league and is "open" to a trade.

I've already accepted that Byrd won't be 100% all season. You were right about him the entire time. As you predicted when he came in and signed his tender.

I also think Whaley was more than justified in requesting an extension of the roster exemption. Perhaps we wouldn't have been able to fill that spot with a better player, but I guarantee we could have filled it with one that gives a schit.

GO BILLS!!!

I've already accepted that Byrd won't be 100% all season. You were right about him the entire time. As you predicted when he came in and signed his tender.

I also think Whaley was more than justified in requesting an extension of the roster exemption. Perhaps we wouldn't have been able to fill that spot with a better player, but I guarantee we could have filled it with one that gives a schit.

GO BILLS!!!

youve said this a few times but im not sure what you think the one week extension really wouldve accomplished or changed in this spot.

He will suit up Sunday. He is listed as day to day so his feet have not fallen off as of yet. Watching YOUR team struggle with so many injuries in the secondary and standing idly by is not something a real man would do. And yes it is still YOUR team Jairus, you know the team that is paying you 7 million to be ok enough to practice but not play in the game. I get that he didn't get his big contract that he wanted but 7 million for a few months work aint to shabby so stop being a spiteful B word. Hope him and his scumbag agent are amused with the current state of our secondary. As a loyal fan for 20 years I will never look at him the same again if he fails to play this week and leaves us hanging yet again. Good enough to practice but I guess on Sundays those feet just start acting up again. Be a teammate!

OH please. My understanding of Plantar Fascitis (or however you spell it) is you simply cannot push off , the pain is excruciating. can't do it. I am sure he wants to play to show his worth come free agency time, so why come back and play like crap and re injure yourself. Everyone loses. Everyone. Let it go

OH please. My understanding of Plantar Fascitis (or however you spell it) is you simply cannot push off , the pain is excruciating. can't do it. I am sure he wants to play to show his worth come free agency time, so why come back and play like crap and re injure yourself. Everyone loses. Everyone. Let it go

my understanding of PF is we really have no idea how bad it is and whether he could play with a shot today, or not - what type of risk hed be taking by doing so, or how effective he would be. same thing id post to those asserting that he could obviously be out there.

its starting to sound by his own words like he could be out there, if he were willing to take the risk for another year though.

my understanding of PF is we really have no idea how bad it is and whether he could play with a shot today, or not - what type of risk hed be taking by doing so, or how effective he would be. same thing id post to those asserting that he could obviously be out there.

its starting to sound by his own words like he could be out there, if he were willing to take the risk for another year though.

His PF was serious. He took shots last year to play with the pain. What is telling, if not ominous, is that he wasn't fully healed after an offseason of treatment and rest. If Byrd has to take shots in order to play that is a clear sign that he is still plagued with the condition. Masking a health problem is not healing a health problem.

It's ironic that a lot of people on the outside are more than insinuating that Byrd is faking his feet problems while Brandon was explicit in a WGR interview that Byrd is doing everything he needs to do to treat the problem and get back on the field. RB stated that he was confident that Byrd was doing everything he could to get back on the field.

The majority of sentiment from the fans is that he is screwing the franchise because he is unhappy with his contract situation. There is no doubt that he is unhappy with how his contract negotions unfolded, but not being on the field is not helping his bargaining status, whether he stays with this franchise or not. The best course of action for him and this franchise is to play when he is healthy enough to play. His type of injury is one in which if you prematurely return to action you can end up reinjuring yourself and placing yourself back to square one on another lengthy rehabilitation journey.

Any player who is injured and is willing to risk his career by prematurely returning to the field because he feels fan or organizational pressure is a fool. It's a business. Carrington was carted off the field in the last game and his season was finished. Do you think that the organization is going to reward him with a new rich contract because of his loyalty? The injury Carrington sustained is going to result in a lesser contract than if he didn't get hurt. If you don't look out for yourself then who is going to look out for you?

youve said this a few times but im not sure what you think the one week extension really wouldve accomplished or changed in this spot.

"An extra roster spot is always a good thing," Whaley said, when asked if Byrd could be exempted for the Bills opener against New England on Sept. 8.

Byrd would not have been paid if he wasn't on the active roster for the first week of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9589292/nfl-grants-buffalo-bills-roster-exemption-jairus-byrd

Not sure, actually. Other than providing a longer look at somebody or an initial look at somebody else. I didn't know that the request was for only one week, either. In retrospect, they should have pupped him.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure, actually. Other than providing a longer look at somebody or an initial look at somebody else. I didn't know that the request was for only one week, either. In retrospect, they should have pupped him.

GO BILLS!!!

it was til the monday after game 1. i agreed with the take you are describing when he asked for it - as whaley said an extra spot never hurts, but in hindsight we didnt even carry 53 much of that week so we couldve signed anyone we wanted to look at.

the only take away wouldve been not paying byrd and i dont think that really wouldve done anything positive besides satisfy some anger from the fans.

Edited by NoSaint

Once again, it's not his team. It's just a group of fellow employees who aren't as seemingly disgruntled.

GO BILLS!!!

The very reason why he's not worth top safety money. He's good not great.

Great ones never consider it just a job.

Byrd is a statistical anomaly with an opportunistic agent. Bills front office appears to see through it.

Watch him sign a landmark deal and fade into irrelevance somewhere else.

The very reason why he's not worth top safety money. He's good not great.

Great ones never consider it just a job.

Byrd is a statistical anomaly with an opportunistic agent. Bills front office appears to see through it.

Watch him sign a landmark deal and fade into irrelevance somewhere else.

Interesting take, particularly on statistical anomalies and on how the great ones never considering it a job. Something to think about.

With the exception of Peters, who wasn't a free agent anyway, I can't really think of any that left for greener pastures and found everlasting status as an impact player for his new team, let alone perennial All Pro honors. I guess Whitner and Winfield come closest maybe? But nobody ever confused them with Lott or Deion Sanders.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Interesting take, particularly on statistical anomalies and on how the great ones never considering it a job. Something to think about.

With the exception of Peters, who wasn't a free agent anyway, I can't really think of any that left for greener pastures and found everlasting status as an impact player for his new team, let alone perennial All Pro honors. I guess Whitner and Winfield come closest maybe? But nobody ever confused them with Lott or Deion Sanders.

GO BILLS!!!

Admittedly, I watched the Pro Bowl. I know, but I love football. Anyway, I remember Byrd getting embarrassed on a TD. I think it was a run. I felt bad for him. I wondered if he was really as good as he thinks he is. Not to say I don't want him on our team. I really, really do. But maybe a wee bit overrated.

just because you are tired of hearing its a business doesnt make it any less a business....

thaat the bills offered him contract wise and for whatever reason his camp didnt think it was good enough so they didnt agree. that leaves him the leverage point to sign his tender and sit out and squeeze this FO. thats his bargaining chip and hes using it.

There is intent and the spirit of the contract. Neither of which is being followed.

There is intent and the spirit of the contract. Neither of which is being followed.

teams terminate contracts before the full money is ever paid out all the time. do you question the teams for doing that? they are not honoring the "intent and spirit of the contract" when it works for them they do it.

teams terminate contracts before the full money is ever paid out all the time. do you question the teams for doing that? they are not honoring the "intent and spirit of the contract" when it works for them they do it.

You must love when a player wants to renegotiate a contract after having a good year?

They certainly are honoring the "intent and spirit of the contract".

If a team chose to bench a player in order to hinder them achieving incentive based benchmarks(number of snaps etc).......THAT would be against the "intent and spirit of the contract". Teams cutting players before their contracts expire is fully expected and fully highlighted within their contracts. That is why players attempt to get as much guaranteed money written into their contracts as possible.

You must love when a player wants to renegotiate a contract after having a good year?

nope i hate that. i also think byrd far out played his rookie contract

They certainly are honoring the "intent and spirit of the contract".

If a team chose to bench a player in order to hinder them achieving incentive based benchmarks(number of snaps etc).......THAT would be against the "intent and spirit of the contract". Teams cutting players before their contracts expire is fully expected and fully highlighted within their contracts. That is why players attempt to get as much guaranteed money written into their contracts as possible.

i dont think players fully expect nor do i think its highlighted in any contract that they will cut them before the contract is fulfilled.